Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Right blinker and brake light

Hello,

We are getting ready for a weekend trip and of course, something has to go wrong. Here is the problem:

Right blinker and brake light not working. It works on the truck. Some of you may recall our problem with the trailer brakes locking up each time you turn the right blinker on. They "fixed" the problem, but now we have this! It worked fine the last time we had it out. It sure seems like its possessed! Is there a fuse somewhere that we should check? We have changed out the light bulb already with no luck. Any suggestions?

Urrrrrrrggggg....

Sue

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Have the dealer check to see if you have had TSB 08-021-06 applied.
The 06's have some "electronic" fuses that are set originally to trip at 15 amps, the TSB resets them to 17A. Here's some info:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...=tsb+08-021-06

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Besides Skip's suggestion, make sure the connector plug contacts are clean. Wiggle the plug around and see if anything comes to life. Check the junction box under the hitch and make sure the connectors are in place, I think it is the brown wire that serves the right blinker, but check them all. Check the bulb and bulb holder. If you have a test instrument, try to trace back to the point where you lose power.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Don't know about Dodge's but Ford has seperate fuses under the hood for the trailer lights. The truck's lights will work OK, but if the fuse under the hood is blown it will not work the trailer lights. Been there, done that, almost never found the problem.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Sue
I had an ealier post with this problem on my 2004 Dodge. Same problem. There are seprate fuses for the trailer in the truck fuse box. The only one I had blown was the running lights fuse for the trailer but the odd thing was they worked fine. Bottom line on mine was the dealer had to replace the,I beleive its called the ECM,
module. Trailer dealer had a test box to plug into my trailer connection on the trailer and their was no output. Hopefully that is not your problem but if your still under warranty a quick fix.
Good luck.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! My DH took the entire light box off the back of the Montie and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. He even changed the bulb. We will check under the hood in the morning to see if there are any fuses that look blown and also check with the voltage tester. In case you couldn't tell, we are not very mechanically incline.

It is the oddest thing....I can't help but wonder if it isn't connected with the prior problem we had with the wiring being crossed to the brakes/right blinker (which they fixed). At this point we are not sure if we should go to the RV or the truck dealer first. Both are under warranty.

To top it off, the fridge isn't cooling. It is hotter then heck here so that might be the problem, but the freezer is cooling like a champ!

All will work out...I'll hang myself out the window and use hand signals and bring a big ice chest! Come heck or high water....we are going out this weekend!

Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sue and Harv,
With regards to the fridge, check and make sure that the thermistor?? wire is attached to the slide on the back fin of the fridge. We had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, I kept sliding the daggone thing up more and more to get it cooler, and the wire became dislodged (it took a while before I even noticed it) and it was actually lower, therefore fridge was not cooling. Just a thought, hopefully it is something that simple.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Bingo,

I wished it was that easy! During the day when it is hotter then heck, the fridge is no where near cool for food but the freezer seems to be cold. Then as the outside temps cool down during the night, it cools to normal levels. I called the dealer today and they said it sounds like it has a problem, ya think?

We will be taking it in on Tuesday and they will be checking the entire electrical towing/light system as well as the fridge. Some day, we will be trouble free with this Monty....don't get me wrong, I love the trailer, but I am just tired of the problems we have been having.

We are going away this weekend and enjoying a much needed break from the stresses of work.

Sue