Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Improving the AC

I'm not a AC tech what so ever but I've been thinking. We will be camp hosts in Mt. Zion this summer and its going to get hot. We were in Phoenix a couple of years ago and with both ac's were running they barely kept the camper cool. My thought is, would the roof mounted ac units perform better if a fan or two were installed inside the ac unit to improve circulation by removing heat generated by the ac. In electronic equipment, additional ventilation is always a plus. Also, we have a 2017 3661RL Montana and I don't have the BTU size of the front room ac or bedroom ac in front of me but can I increase the BTU size of the bedroom ac to match that of the living room ac? Thanks for your thoughts...be cool!!

Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
You could add some of the foiled bubble insulation on the inside top of the cover to reduce the uv heating of the ac. Fans should work as well to remove heat once ac cycles off, but I don't think you will gain much efficiency...just a guess. Bedroom ac could be changed to a 15k btu unit, but it will increase your overall height and you will need to watch where you travel wisely. You could also use one of the portable ac units that are available and duct heat outside unit via a flexible foil tube.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since we summer in Kansas our heat is a little lower, but our humidity is much higher. We have two 15,000 btu AC units with the front one (bedroom) set one to two degrees lower than the other and the dump mostly closed so it runs more and sends most of it's cooling down the vents. We have slide toppers that keep the roof of the slides cooler, window awnings for the windows that are in the sun half a day and bubble wrap in the windows that are in the sun all day and we close off the return air under the stairs until we intend to run the furnace again.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:29 PM   #4
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
In arid climates, you need to add water to make the air conditioner work at maximum efficiency. My sister lives in Phoenix, and after replacing both AC units (the house is less than 5 years old) she learned from a local AC company they mounted a water misting unit (sprays a mist when the compressor kicks on) to their AC system.

She says she went with two AC units for her 2400 sq/ft home at her builders suggestion, in order to help cool the house and add some longevity - but it never worked. She replaced with larger tonnage units and added insulation - but nothing seemed to work until adding the new spray system - now they often only need to use one of the AC units most of the year - saving the 2nd one for use during their summer. She says her new unit(s) work better than ever.

What's more, she anticipates she'll get longer service life out of her AC thanks to the spray/mister system. You may want to see what types of misting options are available for the RV AC systems...especially in low humidity environments.
BucBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One of our friends in New Mexico replaced his AC with a 12v swamp cooler. Up until then I didn't even know they made them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote