Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
Goodrving
Established Member

M.O.C. #9092
sliding closet door latch broken

I am wondering where to get the plastic latch that holds the sliding closet door. Seems ours just broke and the rv store I visited did not have one. I am wondering if a replacement could be found at a hardware store maybe?

Goodrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keystone makes a better and stronger one. Try calling customer service or see your local dealer.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I got ours through our dealer. He made several for me. Now that I have backups for the broken ones, I don't break them. I've found that if you only use the latches during travel they will last indefinitely. During times when parked, we leave the doors just a little bit ajar (not latched). This serves two purposes: 1) It protects the plastic latches; and 2) it allows a little air circulation into the closet to keep down any possibility of humidity build up, if any.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
small world.. I just went into our trailer this past weekend to check it out from winter,when I open the closet door,same thing happened !! Thanks for the advice Rich,I was just trying to think of who to call first. Since our dealer is now gone there is no Montana dealer within 90 miles of us
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Goodrving,

The new closet door latch Keystone part # is 262091. I had RV World in Yuma order me a set and they ordered several and probably still have them in stock. The cost was $7.80 for a pair.

They are really good compared to those clear plastic ones. I shattered several of those.

RV World phone is 1-800-762-7448

JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
The white latches that were on the 5vrs manufactured before 2008 had a tendency to break quite often. On the newer models (at least the 10th Anniversary) had a charcole or black colored latch. In fact at the Goshen Raly last September some of the newer latchs were brought over by Arim. These are much better and were 'latched" onto by some of the members. They are more durable and easier to use. Just think, "No broken fingernails with these."
Have a Great Day

deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
When we were in ours, I would move the doors to the opposite side.
They would be closed, but not latched. Worked good for me.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
Goodrving
Established Member

M.O.C. #9092
thanks everyone for the advice and where to get the lathes
Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
thats what we do wifeofdano, just gotta remember to put them back when traveling. Also, I read of someone getting tired of scratching there hands on those so they completely removed them and put velco on the door and where the door connects to the wall. No more skinned hands and the velcro holds good while traveling. Thought that was a good idea.
bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You can get a replacement through your Montana dealer. We have NEVER broken one (we do have spares) in six years of fulltiming and 8 years of Montana ownership and I'll tell you why.

Second, as mentioned above, we reverse the doors when not traveling.

First, and most important, I think, is that we took a tip from this forum and inserted small rubber o-rings between the plastic latch and the closet door frame. That provides enough give to make it much easier to release the latch and it gives it some shock resistance when closing the doors. I found the small o-rings at Ace Hardware for about 4 cents each. I needed four. The o-rings go on the latch holding screws. Here's a picture to maybe describe it a little better than I can do in words.

Here's what it looks like just sitting there..

And here it is pushed as if to open the door, except it's pushed the other way so I could get a picture..

I hope this helps. I never noticed the scratches in the finish before. They are not from the o-rings or latch itself.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Steve that is a great tip. I have broken 3 in the past year. I keep 2 spares in the drawer.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Thanks for all the good info. I broke off one side and have tried to get replacements from our dealer. The one's provided are to short and will not latch. When we travel, I place a dowel at the bottom of the door and that keeps it closed. I would rather have a new handle and a spare though.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Goodrving
Established Member

M.O.C. #9092
I found them today at an rv dealer serveral miles from me. they come 2 to a pkg and were 6.99 pair. there are 2 sizes, a short and a longer. montana's take the longer.
Jim
Old 03-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I've use the o-ring tip from this forum.haven't broke one in two years.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:40 AM   #15
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We've never broke one either and we also reverse the doors when not traveling. What a great tip though from Steve, that o-ring will be a real solution as described, I will get to that right away, Thanks again Steve!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Steve's O-ring solution is just right. It allows the latches just that little bit of flexibility they need. Great suggestion!

Orv
Old 03-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
I do the same with reversing the doors. I do have a funny little story about the latch. When we had the walk-through on our unit I tried opening the closest when it was latched. I looked a little closer and the latch had been installed backward. It was pretty funny watching that great big guy crawl through the closest to unlatch it from the inside.
NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #18
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Thanks for the tip Steve, I am going to get some O-rings.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #19
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
I just had to replace one of ours...haven't figured out what happened, was fine when it went to Lazy Days and then Camping World but when we picked up at Camping World it was broken. Found out from the Lazy Days part people (Camping World did not carry them.) that Montanas have two types one with ridges (like in the photo on the first page of this thread) and one with out. There is a 1/16th of an inch difference in the two that make them unusable if you don't get the right replacement for the door you have in the unit. A bit pricey for a seemingly simple piece of plastic (just under $5), but we bought a few extras as when one goes, usually the other does soon after ESPECIALLY if you don't have a spare!

We also slide the doors to the opposite sides when not in route as I usually try to rip a finger off my hand or break a nail. (No comments from the peanut gallery please! It HURTS when they break low enough to draw blood!)

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by eeoski

I just had to replace one of ours...haven't figured out what happened, was fine when it went to Lazy Days and then Camping World but when we picked up at Camping World it was broken. Found out from the Lazy Days part people (Camping World did not carry them.) that Montanas have two types one with ridges (like in the photo on the first page of this thread) and one with out. There is a 1/16th of an inch difference in the two that make them unusable if you don't get the right replacement for the door you have in the unit.

Robin
I removed mine and elongated the holes in the latches with a small rattail file. This allowed the latches to be moved just enough to be able to allow the clip to latch the door and still be easy to open.

Orv