Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Furnace Suggestions

We're located in the High Desert in Southern California.
The temps. at night have been down around 19-20 degree's,the Monty's sitting in the driveway waiting to be use on a short trip the day after Christmas.
My question is,what is the minimum temperature I should set the furnace on to keep the lines from freezing. During the day the temp.will reach around 40-50 degree's. Also,how much propane should I expect to use in those temperatures?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
JJacjFlash,

I do not know the answer to that question from first hand experience. But from folks who live in that cold weather I think they have indicated somewhere around the low 60s. Maybe 63 to 65. Perhaps that is too high but for some reason that comes to mind.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Jack,

We live in central WI, so I guess I can advise you.

Before we leave in Nov for FL, our nights are similar. Nothing will freeze overnite, as long as daytime temps are above freezing.
I have never had a problem with this temp. If you are worried, then leave the therm set at 50 degrees.

My dealer here in WI, says in order for the water lines to freeze, the temps have to be below 32 degrees for at least TWO Days.

Hope this helps.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:39 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You could also get a remote read thermostat from Radio Shack, Lowe's, or Home Despot. Drop the remote thermistor down where the pipes run to monitor temperature in the belly.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:08 AM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
If you have access to a compressor it doesn't take long to winterize.I store my Monty in south Caroline were the temps vary a lot in the Nov,Dec. months before I take it to Fl.I just blow the water lines out and put anti freeze in the traps and remove the low point water caps and drain the hot water tank,which might be over kill but the weather been goofy lately and it gives me piece of mind for about a 20 minute job.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
You have a newer unit, supposed to be good down to 0, eh??

Guessing you have not taken the water out of her, draining might give you peace of mind.

When we pack to leave the frozen tundra, first disclaimer, we have no water and do not load any, but, we do put freezables IN the unit for several days before departure. We run furnace at 45, leave all cabinet doors open during the night. The olive oil clouds up, but, other than that, all seems well.

In the spring and fall, when we do have water in Tana, we start to worry when we get to conditions as you describe, but have had no trouble (noting we have a 2004 unit, not near as good in low temps as your unit is). When it gets down around 25 or below for the forecast lows of the night, we usually run the furnace, again at 45.

So far, knock on wood, we have not had any freezing of water lines.

That all said, we always feel better if the water lines have been drained.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:30 AM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks for all the great advise! I have been leaving the furnace at 50 degree's but I was still worried it wasn't good enough.Lambchop,noting your comments I think I'll sleep better at night,usually the temp will be at least 40 degree's during the day.
I knew I could count on some great MOC advise.
Jack
Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
I tend to look at this from the other side as if it will happen it will happen to us. I suggest taking the 15 minutes and blowing the lines out. If they freeze for whatever the reason you have a much bigger problem so trying to avoid this I usually blow them out. As for propane use, we use about one 30lb tank every 2-2 1/2 days at 25 degrees at night and 30's in the daytime using it in the late fall in Wi.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:09 AM   #9
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Another bit of information:

I had a carpet & furniture cleaning business here in central WI for 20 years.
A lot of my solutions were water based. I could leave the van parked outside all day at 30 to 40 degrees. At night it would drop to 25 degrees....still parked outside.
Never had anything freeze in that temperature range. Oh sure, sometimes I might of had ice crystals once in a while. But Never any damage.
Don't forget......Ice forms at a constant 32 degress...but Not the damaging ice expansion that you would have at -0 degrees.

Hope that helps

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lambchop

Another bit of information:

I had a carpet & furniture cleaning business here in central WI for 20 years.
A lot of my solutions were water based. I could leave the van parked outside all day at 30 to 40 degrees. At night it would drop to 25 degrees....still parked outside.
Never had anything freeze in that temperature range. Oh sure, sometimes I might of had ice crystals once in a while. But Never any damage.
Don't forget......Ice forms at a constant 32 degress...but Not the damaging ice expansion that you would have at -0 degrees.

Hope that helps

Roy
Thanks Roy You've reinforced my confidence!
Jack
Old 12-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
johnmcc

M.O.C. #8988
Another newbee question: Do you guys leave your Monties plugged in to shore power to keep your heaters running or depend on the batteries??
johnmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
johnmcc

M.O.C. #8988
(extension of previous question): How do you keep the heaters running when dry camping? I'm right, aren't I, in presuming it takes the electrical connection to run the fans and ignite the LP gas.
johnmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Depends on what kind of heater we are discussing.

Electric heaters, those little stand alone ones, need regular electricity to run, so, ya gotta have a pole or a generator.

The furnace in your unit is designed to run on 12 volt, or, off the battery. So, you can have heat with no pole or generator. How long you will have battery power depends on how cold it is, how much the furnace runs and how much lighting you might run during the same time, and, your frig needs some of that 12 volt battery power to stay lit as well.

Those that successfuly boondock have this down to a science, have generators, or have solar power packs, and lots of fun toys to go with those. Or, they don't stay out very long.

Might try reading some of the archives, there are lots of great posts on this subject, some very creative MOCers!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote