Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Hot Water Heater Operation Question

It was my understanding from our walk-thru that the hot water heater would only switch on if you turned the switch on for the heater on the control panel (the panel that shows tank levels and also to turn the water pump on and off). Lo and behold we did not turn that switch on and we have hot water. Of course the owner's manual does not address this subject and we do not have a separate owner's manual in our packet for the hot water heater. My assumption is the switch is only to operate from gas if not hooked up to electricity?? Can someone pls shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The electric switch is on the tank itself - outside. However, most of us use the breaker in the elect panel to turn that on and off. Gas and electric on the WH act totally independent of each other. You can have just electric on or just gas on. Or you can have both elect and gas on for faster recovery. Or you can turn both off and have no hot water.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Thanks dsprik....but the switch on the control panel...is that just for gas operation? Because I have that off and I still have hot water while hooked up to electric in the campground.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The switch on the panel you're talking about is for propane use of the hot water heater. In our rig, we have a circuit breaker for the electric on the water heater. You don't need the switch that you're talking about turned on when hooked to shore power as long as the switch on the water heater that dsprik mentioned is turned on and, if you have a breaker on the converter panel marked for the water heater turned on also.

I assume, from what you've posted, that the water heater is turned on for electric. That's why you get hot water when connected to shore power. As dsprik mentioned, if you need quick recovery (too many showers in too short a time), you can turn the switch on the monitor panel on and you'll get hot water quickly.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Thanks to you both. Guess I have been having the hot water heater in quick recovery mode since I have had without realizing it!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Kinda good for quick recovery, but a little more energy (propane, or electric if paying for that) than you probably needed to pay for if quick recovery was not what you always needed...
Old 09-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Careful -

You really need to state what model/year you have fernsco. All the responses are true UNLESS you have a 2008/2009 in which you switches for both the AC and LP supply on the control panel.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
bsmeaton,
We have an early model 2008 3485SL, but I don't think the switch on the control box for the hot water heater is for both elec and propane because the switch is off on the control box and we have hot water.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
yeppers, you must have the old one then. This is the new one and has two hot water switches and the pump switch:

The tank is the same though, and probably still has the outside switch in addition to ths switch for the 110side.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
If you open the cover for the hot water tank you will see the switch for the electric mode in the bottom left corner. There should be a spring pin that is inserted in the switch when it is turned off.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Hookman gave you the answer, really. Your switch is probably ON and the cotter pin must be removed from the on/off switch outside your unit on the streetside.
Hey, we're all learning and I'm no exception. Find it??? Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #12
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Yes, I see the switch on the outside. Thanks to all for the clarification and help. Also noticed I am close to needing a new anode already. Lots of rust, but one hard place to get a socket or vice scripts too!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:55 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Fernsco, You need a 1 ¹/16", six point socket (½" socket) and a breaker bar. Need a short extension. Just got done borrowing my brother-in-law's. Teflon tape the new 9" anode when you put it in.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:29 AM   #14
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
dsprik,
Thanks, just what I need...another excuse to go to the Sears tools section!
Old 09-14-2008, 05:10 AM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fernsco

Yes, I see the switch on the outside. Thanks to all for the clarification and help. Also noticed I am close to needing a new anode already. Lots of rust, but one hard place to get a socket or vice scripts too!
How did you determine you need a new anode if you have not removed the old one? Is there something I missed here?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:

dsprik,
Thanks, just what I need...another excuse to go to the Sears tools section!
If you have some friend or family member that has this, I would HIGHLY suggest not buying this, unless you would use it for more than the once a year anode change... Very expensive tools.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:24 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:

How did you determine you need a new anode if you have not removed the old one? Is there something I missed here?
Will, you can simply pull it out and look at it. If most of it is left, you can teflon tape it back up and put it back in. It works until completely gone. I just have a routine of changing mine out once a year. Not that expensive. We [s]are[/s] were FTers, though.

I also use that time to flush the white crud out of the WH.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:51 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dave's idea of changing once/year routinely is a pretty good idea. I like to do it when I change water filters. Usually, under normal conditions, I change filters once/year as well as the anode. Sometimes the anode is almost gone, other times it looks like it has half a life left. I change it anyway. They only cost about $10.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #19
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
You don't want it to rot off and drop inside. Although flushing will clear most of the small debris a broken off large piece will be difficult. I checked mine and a narrow neck had corroded into it near the plug.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #20
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The corrosion on the rod means it's working. There is a hard center wire that the aluminum or magnesium is bonded to on the anode. If you are down to almost the wire all the way across, you need a new one. If you still have a major diameter, you do not need a new anode. If you drain your water heater by first openning the top pressure valve and then removing the anode, even large chunks will flush. It works kind of like the old gas cans with a vent. If you don't open the vent first, it kinda' chugs. Once the vent is open, it pours out freely. Hope this helps
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote