Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2008, 06:26 AM   #1
mlanz

M.O.C. #8748
Montana vs Mountaineer

I am new to the site and was trying to get an idea as to the difference between a Mountaineer Edition vs Montana... It's my understanding Mountaineer is a step down from Montana? If so other than cabinets/carpet/drawyers/fixtures is there any other structural/mechanical differences. We like the 332pht layout in Montana with the super size sofa.....

I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Mark

mlanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Mark, I think the new Mountaineers have changed a lot from ours, but ours simply did not offer many of the standard items and options available on the Montana line.

For instance, we have formica countertops. Kitchen drawer glides were not of the quality on the Montana line. Also, no molded gelcoat front and rear caps for the Mountaineer. Overall, in my opinion, quality with the Mountaineer is less, but.... so is the price.

I feel sure some of the owners of the newer models will chime in and provide more info.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:25 AM   #3
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341
Hello Mark,

We have a 2007 Mountaineer 5ver model 336RLT front gel coat cap,bought it new in Sept.of 2006.The Mountaineer is a step down from the Montana option/trim spec but is still a good unit.It does have some things the Montana didn't have at the time we were looking to purchase such as a rear bumper that slides out to be a bike rack or a platform to haul things on.I've got to have a rear bumper ( personal pref.)When backing into a site its sometimes possible to bump a tree or other stationary object or be bumped in traffic ( ouch!!!)the rear bumper wins over the unprotected rear gel cap,also it offers rear ladder protection.The slide out bumper can also be modified to do and accommondate all sorts of things.Other items include left side power cable connection instead of on the rear like the Montana...never understood that logic,its in the crunch zone in my opinion.The deciding factor in our purchase was that the 336 RLT had 2 bathroom sinks,the second being in the toliet room and of full size as the other with medicine cabinet etc.I have my own area seperate from DW!!!.The unit was pre-wired and framed for the second a/c which I installed,came with 2 recliners and table and a hide a bed which have all been replaced with a full size sofa and residential quality recliner.We are not into any trailer furniture,so why pay all the extra bucks for optional furniture we didn't want!!! Our dealer had full lines Montana's and Mountaineers and we went from trailer to trailer making comparisons for quite awhile looking at expensive option after option.Even looked at Everest & Challenger lines and other brand lines too,put some miles on the truck in the process.It took several months to make our decision,the Mountaineer more than met our needs and the price was over twelve thousand dollars less than the others.You will know when you find the right unit for your needs...

Hope this will be of some help to you.

Philip,
2006 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC DRW Cummins
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:21 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Check out the running gear (axles, wheels and hangers). When we got ours (we now have SOB) but the Montana came standard with shock absorbers; Mountaineer did not (and did not include the attachment points on the axles to add them ). Now, most Montanas (if not all) come with either MorRyde suspension or TrailAire equaflex - when they did that they took the shocks off (initially said that the shocks counteracted the improved suspension -- noticed this past weekend that the 3400RL and Big Sky I looked at had shocks and MorRyde installed). That suspension sure improves the ride of the coach and should, over the long run, make it hold up better. Other than that, just trim levels and grade of couch / chairs. Stoves, refers, etc., were all the same.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
The biggest thing my wife liked was that the Mountaineer doesn't have that dreaded killer step when you enter the unit.

Otherwise, all the cabinets; carpet; furniture & etc are the same.

Also doesn't have that convenience center in the basement...more room for things.

Lambchop
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That the camper meets your needs is far more important than the name on the side.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Welcome to the Forum. I agree with Rich... it's all about what meets you and your families needs and budget. We love the Montana 3400RL, and the step has not been and issue for us. Look close at them both and you will find the differences in the options. Good luck!

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Check for attic vents. In 2004 about the only difference between the Montana and the Mountaineer besides decals was the shock mentioned in other posts and the Montana had an attic vent. We had trouble with our rubber roof coming unglued and I wondered if the attic vent might have made a difference.

According to Keystone factory tour guide, they are manufactured in different buildings with some differences in manufacturing techniques. He said that each had their own purchasing group, but my eyes couldn't see much difference in finished product, but that varies from year to year and I think that the newer Montana's have some upgraded interior features, such as counter tops and faucets.

Both have set goals to build "X" number of units per day and then the crew gets to go home. The workers seem to like the system, but it is no wonder that the quality is not what it should be. The emphasis is on getting units out, not quality.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If you really want to know the exact differences, get a legal tablet and a brochure for each model (one for a Montana/one for a Mountaineer) and list the items that are different. Since they are both Keystone products, the items should be in just about the same order in the brochures...makes it easy to compare...or see what one model has and the other does not.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I bought a Mountaineer 348RLS a few years ago and was well pleased with the RV. I bought a Montana 3400RL this year and bought it mainly for the features the 3400RL had that we wanted.
Buy the floor plan that fits you and the you will be pleased with either brand.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
fivestarcamping

M.O.C. #8804
I purchased a 2009 305RLT Mountaineer on 1 Aug and left for 10 day vacation within a couple of days of purchase. We are extremely pleased with quality and workmanship of unit. We selected the Mountaineer based on the floor plan that best suits us. Mountaineer didn't have all the options that Montana had and that was ok with us. As you will soon find out, every year there seems to be some new option added or one of the MOC members comes up with a great improvement. It will give you something to tinker with in your free time.
fivestarcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #12
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Got to agree with Rich, if the unit fits your needs and wallet, the name on the side shouldn't make a difference(as long as it says Montana or Mountaineer)!!!!!!!!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote