Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Sewer hookup

When hooking up the sewer this weekend I took the cap off and got a discharge of black water. I looked around and the only thing I could figure was causing the leak was something moving the discharge handle so I screwed 2 pieces of Velcro diagonally behind the handle to hold it in so it can't move out unless the Velcro is unfastened. Hope this solves the problem and it is not a leaking valve.

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
hookman, I can't explain why it does it, but the darn pipe just seems to have water buildup somehow! You'll notice some of us have added an extra valve at the discharge end to keep this from happening. The added valve runs about $15 at Camping World and screws on just like the cap, try it, you'll like it!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have found with ours that even after the valves are closed it takes a while for everything to completely drain out. If I try to hurry things I will get a surprise when I remove the cap
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Another more lasting solution is to put a slide valve at the end of your discharge outlet. You can get one at almost any RV store. You do have to remember to open that valve when all is hooked up. The slide valve will keep you from having a pint of surprise when you take the cap off.

I cut off the bayonet end of the pipe and glued the valve on with PVC pipe cement. By cutting the old end off, the new valve is behind the wheel track in case of a blowout. Get a valve with the bayonet connection on the end.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have a "honey dew" bucket. When I am ready to remove the cap I put the bucket under it. With all the rinsing I do all I get is about a cup of clear water. I did forget to close the galley tank once, but it was just an overnighter and got about a gallon of water in the bucket. I just dump it in the sewer line when I take the cap off the CG sewer drop. I like my bucket.

I may go the way of the end cap replacement as described above.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I like the idea of a bucket too...had that little surprise more than once. It usually comes from my slow kitchen drain - I just don't have the patience to wait it out - when it's time to go, it's time to go!
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I also use the Honey bucket, and have used this system on all 4 5th wheels we have owned. The only thing I would add is, I use rubber gloves. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I forgot to add, I keep a box of disposable latex gloves in the basement next to the bucket! I use them to attach and detach the sewer hoses and accessories.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I seen one of the clear elbows that Bingo had over the weekend. I like how well that works, you can see when it has emptied out then just simply disconnect. I think I will be getting one of them. I also have a slide valve at the end of the drain as mentioned.

Here is a photo
Old 07-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We have added the aftermarket slide valve for the end of the overall drain pipe. This is available at Camping World and requires no modifications whatsoever. Just snaps on to the same lock pins as the original cap. And the original cap goes on it for another level of protection. Have had no problem since this addition. I would recommend it highly. Remeber, how well the pipes drain completely may not be solved by waiting longer. It may be more influenced by how level the RV is when draining.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The best way is to put the after market valve on the outlet. Only problem is securing it while traveling. You have to make sure you have it secured or it will wiggle itself off. Ours did, and now when I use one, I make sure it is secured for traveling.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #12
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
All of you that have added the adapter extension,are you cutting back the original like Stiles did? If not,aren't you worried about blowing a tire and having the contents of your storage tanks all over the highway. That worries me!
Stiles,by cutting the old end off will the new valve slide over the old pipe?
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #13
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
As you may have seen in the photo I linked to on the last page, I glued a slide valve into the pipe at the outlet of the drain. I'm not worried about the tire breaking the piping in the event of a blow-out where the fitting is approximately 1&1/2' away from the front tire.

On another note this modification was done because I think I had a leaking valve on one of the tanks and also to allow extra storage room for grey water where I have a fairly long line to the galley tank.

I rarely travel with anything in the tanks, thus this would avoid any problems with spilling anything while traveling should some un-foreseen incident occur.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I have looked at the the position of the extra valve installation and yes it does have increased exposure in case of a tire failure/tread separation. Haven't had that problem yet but that is probably next. I'm just so tired of dealing with problems on our late 2006 3400RL that it just adds to the list. What priority should it have? I suspect that allot more additional damage would occur at road speeds in addition to this external valve. Can't live in fear of everything!
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #15
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Since I put the velcro straps over the handles I have had no surprises. I seen the straps I used at Camping World But I think the wife bought them at Walmart. They are for holding rolled up extension cords and hoses. I used 2 , 1 screwed on above and 1 below the handle, and have hooked up 3 times without any suprises.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Oldguard taught me the trick of using a piece of plumbers metal tape and attaching it to the bayonet slide valve and to the frame of the Monte. The added valve will not twist off without removing one of the screws.

If you only pull the slide valve after you attach the disposal hose, there will not be any surprises.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #17
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I think when I pulled something out of storage it caught the handle and when I pushed the item back in it closed it with these straps it won't happen again