Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2008, 02:57 AM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Check your wheel lugnut torque?

I had the good fortune to follow a 29XX Montana in Montgomery AL (heading south on the Blvd) yesterday and noticed the rear curb side wheel/tire wobbled slightly compared to all the others. Eventually I was able to pull alongside them at a Stoplight and let them know.

This visual example made a much greater impression on this newbie than the Keystone written material and even the DVD provided about torquing your wheel lugnuts.

Checking Torque in on my list of "To-do's" for next week, along with trying to get my likely slow leaking tire up to the same pressure as all the others!
Of course, that will be just practice assuming I take the rig in for brake/tire rotation service soon.

Have a great weekend!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I check my lug nut torque and tire pressure each time before I hit the road.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Part of my predeparture procedure is to: Check tire pressure (Montana and TV), Check springs and shackles, Retorque lug nuts on Montana. I do this EACH time I move the TT......Among many other things!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
dwstockman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7272
I also check the tires and re-torque the lug nuts before every trip but have never found the lugs loose. Are the wheels coming loose a common problem?
dwstockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Don,
Steel wheels tend to hold the torque better than the aluminum rims. Aluminum is a softer metal which allows for a slight turning of the lugs which results in a loss of torque (compression and decompression from heat and flex). On our aluminum rims, I always have a couple of lugs on each tire that need a tightening twist when checked.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:58 AM   #6
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Is the torque the same for all or does it change by models.

If it is the same what do you torque them to.

Thanks
Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:39 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Here is Keystones specs for torque Ray,

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/pdf/Lug_Nut_Torque.pdf
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:30 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dwstockman,

The lug nuts coming loose is not a common problem but definitely something that should be checked from time to time. If we have not had our wheels off the rig then we normally just check them before we start a trip.

If we've had them off then we check them when we take off and then after about 100 miles: Then again the next time we stop.

We have only found loose lug nuts a couple of times. As long as you check on some sort of regular schedule then you should be fine.

For those of you checking you shackles you should know that it is extremely difficult to actually see the wear that may be occurring. Unless the shackles have substantial wear on them the damage is not easily visible unless you actually loosen the nut and look at the hole. Still it is a good idea to take a look just in case you may have excessive wear.

A couple of years or so ago Montana upgraded their shackles. While they are definitely better they still seem to wear out rather quickly. Your shackles are an area of major concern. By the way something else to look out for was just brought to our attention by Mike. And that is the leaf spring bracket. Apparently they are prone to breaking. Just another thing to add to your list of things to check!

Travel safely,

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm a believer in checking torque and tightening to specs after a lugnut has been loosened for whatever reason. I do this every 50 to 100 miles or therabouts until the nuts no longer tighten at the specified torque. I do not generally check them before every trip because they just don't seem to loosen for no reason once they're tightened and checked properly as noted above. I will occasionally take the torque wrench to them just to make sure but have never found a loose one other than as noted above.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
dwstockman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7272

I have four new aluminum wheels (16"Sendel-T02)to install on our trailer before this spring and I'll keep a close eye on the lug nut torque after installation. I've always torqued the steel wheels to 115 ft/lb and plan on doing the same with the aluminum wheels as well. While the wheels are off, I plan on updating the stock suspension system with Dexter's K71-652-00 E-Z Flex suspension kit also.
dwstockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I checked my lugnut torque for the first time as the seller said they were good to go. I was thinking maybe the 20-70 degree temperature changes we've experienced in mid-AL might have an affect.
Turned out maybe 1/4 got a "click" out of the Torque Wrench set to 110 foot lbs, the rest were fine.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
My dealer is telling me to set the torque to 140 to 145 lbs. In light of the last couple of posts I wonder if mine are too high?
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, I believe the Big Sky may have a higher lugnut torque requirement. The Cambridge did. It should say in your manual.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #14
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Jim, I believe the Big Sky may have a higher lugnut torque requirement. The Cambridge did. It should say in your manual.
OK, thanks Steve. Soon as I dig a path thru the snow to the Big Sky I will check that out.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #15
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Good guide to torquing wheels here.
http://www.mckenziefifthwheels.com/service/addendums/
2004/l5_wheel_mount.pdf

Watch when getting it done by someone else. I have seen air wrench jockeys finger tight then give it to each nut in a circular pattern. This can do damage to the wheel and lead to cracks and loosening down the road. Another bad habit I have seen is people lowering the wheel to the ground before finishing the torquing or after torquing just a few nuts eg. 12-03-06-09 o'clock.

Got me thinking and surfing. Came across this site.
http://www.wheel-check.com/

OK Last link I promise.
http://www.hispecwheel.com/pdf/steel_inserts.pdf

Knew I had seem better aluminum trailer wheels in my never-ending quest for the perfect undercarriage and wheel/tire combination. I notice that Keystone changed to Goodyear tires for the 2008 10th Aniv. Edition.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I noticed the note on Goodyear tires too Roger, but I'm still not finding an E rated Goodyear tire rated for the 7,000 lb axles (at least 3,500 lbs a tire). I'm confused -
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #17
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartires...6&sidewall=OWL

This tire actually has more load than the Missions. Not saying it is the tire chosen by Keystone but it would work and since it is LT with a speed rating of "R" it is good to 105 MPH. Only problem might be rim width if someone decides to change-out their Missions. The Missions were 6.0 or 6.5 rim width and I believe the wheels on the older units were spec'd at this width.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:31 AM   #18
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Brad - that does NOT mean you can pull your Monty 104 mph !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote