Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2007, 03:23 AM   #21
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
VanMan, I used that procedure on my old unit (3670 RL), but now they moved the breaker panal to inside the potty room (340 RLQ). Dianna uses the shelf in front of it, so it is easier to go outside and turn it off than to unload that shelf.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:24 AM   #22
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Another thanks to Stiles and Vanman,I would have never found that rocker switch in the outside panel if Waynem hadn't mention it.
I see the factory wired it off, I guess for shipment.
Another plus for the good old MOC.
I can't wait to meet you guys,maybe at the Spring Rally not sure yet.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
It only took us about 6+ months to realize that the little kitchen flap was there! DUH! Several very inventive ways to improve on the latches have been installed by different MOC members. It's a little thing but Keystone could sure make points by making a simple way to open and close from the inside.

Same thing with the switch for the HWH. Again some of the more inventive MOC members have made some really nice alternatives. Sure would be nice to see Keystone add an indoor electric switch. Again it took us about a year to realize we even had an electric element in our HWH! Man did I feel like a Homer Simpson (DUH)!

Jjackflash,

Our outside switch has a little wire clip in it. I'm sure it comes that way from the manufacturer. And of course it is really difficult to get my fat fingers in there to remove it. That is one reason we use the breaker to toggle the heater on and off. It is indoors and very easy to access. If I had paid more attention to the many great posts on the MOC I probably would have picked up on these issues sooner than I did!

I'll keep reading.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #24
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
My 1998 Nash had a switch inside the unit for the electric water heater I was shocked that a Montana you had to turn it in outside. Go figure a weekender trailer has something that easy and a touring 5th wheel hasn't realized you can do that.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #25
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you want to use the breaker, you have an inside switch. Just leave the outside on.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #26
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I was on the road when all of the posts/answers were being posted here and just now got back to it. Kind of time consuming to come on the MOC forum every day/night and try to catch up. SO MUCH posting.

Anyhow, just remember that no matter which switch you use, you should/have to/must (your choice of words) turn it off if you hook up to 115v to keep the refrigerator on. If you are hooked to 115 while in storage, you evaporate the water out of the HW and ruin it. Right now I prefer the outside switch, and I make sure to put the little wire back in when I leave. This precludes it from "bumping" on while moseying down the road.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:10 AM   #27
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I put a lighted light switch for the hot water heater inside the trailer. In my case it is installed just below the thermostat for HVAC. When you turn on the hot water heater the light in the switch turns on as a reminder.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:22 AM   #28
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I use velcro to hold ours open to allow venting within the rig. When traveling, I close and latch it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #29
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Dianna uses the shelf in front of it (the breaker box), so it is easier to go outside and turn it off than to unload that shelf.
That's an OSHA violation - I hope the breaker box police don't haul D off !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #30
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
This is one reason we are on our third Montana. This forum is like having a great owners manual right at your finger tips. Everyone here is willing to share from real experience. So if you have a question just post it here on the forum. I can assure you will usually have an answer within 24 hours. Except for things like wiring diagrams, etc., which Keystone seems to guard carefully. Of course I would not know how to read a wiring diagram even if I had one. TeeHee
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #31
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Van Man, Dianna was a safety guru at her NASA contractor's job. But we don't work for the Government any more.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #32
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I retired from NASA! Now I understand.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #33
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
I have heard (with regard to the model specific owner's manual) that the reason they don't print one is because of the expense involved. Too many makes and models to make it cost efficient, they say. I recently bought a Samsung color laser printer (that also performs four other functions)and it did not come with an expensive manual. They did include a web address to refer to that had an extensive and detailed manual available for study and reference online. You could also download it if you chose to do so. An ebook would be very inexpensive.
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #34
justbeginning
Established Member

M.O.C. #7130
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Besides the kitchen vent fan, and th toggle switch on the water heater that saves propane, what other surprises may I be in for?

Thanks

Women! Can't do with them, and can't do without them. Oh well!
What toggle switch that saves propane? I missed that one.
justbeginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #35
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Quote:
quote:What toggle switch that saves propane? I missed that one.
Your water heater runs either on propane or electricity or both. There is a switch outside under the cover for the heater that turns on/off the electrical power. There is a toggle inside usually on the control panel where you check your tank levels. In fact, there are two toggles, one for the propane to your water heater and the other to your water pump.

Please, be sure you don't turn on the electrical power to the water heater until there is water in the tank or you will fry the heating element. It only take a few seconds to fry in a dry tank.