Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
FYI: Break-ins!

We have had a rash of Break-ins here in Sequim, WA this last Summer.
My Monty was hit twice.
Both times they couldn't get in the Living area due to the fact that I leave the Bathroom Door open across the Laundry Access in the floor. I then take the 19" TV and set it there to prevent opening Flap and flipping the door back. Secondly I Always lock the Deadbolt. They got into 4 other Units at the Storage Lot on that attempt. On the first attempt they violated the top lock but couldn't pop the Deadbolt.FYI:
The second time they cleaned out the Storage Bins, had by-passed the items the first time. Definately looking for High-end items.
The second time they took RV related items, such as: Cords, Hoses, related items and the Awning accessories, We Believe the second attempt was someone familier with the units there and needed those types of items.

dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We stay in Sequim in the Winter and they had a little problem with that around the neighborhood around the resort(Diamond Point) but we saw them lurking around and reported the car and the Police caught them ...Was the Storage in Downtown Sequim??? that is too bad because Sequim is a nice quiet place to Winter up here in WA state
Old 09-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Seems to happen around the country from time to time. Once they discover there's expensive stuff in there and, if they know RV's then they have a key to the basements unless you've changed the locks. Easy pickin's.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I would think an alarm system would be a good idea. Given there is usually only one main door and the storage compartments that really need protection, it couldn't cost too much. The problem will be when the trailer is in storage with no power to the system.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
One of the reasons I changed all my locks to barrel type locks.
No CH751 locks except for my water fill door and my door for hydraulic controls.
This has me thinking about my water fill door now. Contamination via that source could be a real bad thing and it wouldn't take much.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Broke into several units where I store mine several yrs ago. On mine they used a screwdriver or similar and popped the basement doors open. No damage. Only a small black mark from the screwdriver and the locking tabs bent back a out 45 degrees. Locking tabs are so weak only slight pressure with my thumb bent them back straight. Took a few tools and the 50 amp power cord.

On the door they slightly sprung the pull handle but did not get passed the deadbolt. But on two neighbor units they simply broke out the door windows and reached in and released the deadbolt.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
It was the screwdriver trick both times. Destroyed the top lock on door but couldn't get past the deadbolk, even with a prybar. Twisted the Storage Locks with the Screwdriver both times. Changed to Barrel locks on the Sunnybrooke, but didn't get around to on the Monty! The insurance gave me Full Value on all the replacements.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Broke into our 2010 this summer by breaking the back window. Thanks to the floor plan we had, could not really get to much.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
My money has been spent on Cameras. Drop Cam inside, and RearView Safety connected to DVR for RV and my Ford for outside cameras. Both on separate batteries, and with night vision and DVRs .Twice units were broken into at RV repair facilities we used. Both times they left mine alone, one guy walked right up to camera! I also have stickers (closed Circuit TV) I bought at Amazon. I placed them at the doors, larger windows and power cord plug in location. On the Camera's, I got good shots of the the perps. Help get them caught. Last I know from previous exp. Better locks etc just keep the kids out. Our doors, windows and RV walls are no match for crowbars and battery operated cutting equipment. Pictures are only real defense.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

My money has been spent on Cameras. Drop Cam inside, and RearView Safety connected to DVR for RV and my Ford for outside cameras. Both on separate batteries, and with night vision and DVRs .Twice units were broken into at RV repair facilities we used. Both times they left mine alone, one guy walked right up to camera! I also have stickers (closed Circuit TV) I bought at Amazon. I placed them at the doors, larger windows and power cord plug in location. On the Camera's, I got good shots of the the perps. Help get them caught. Last I know from previous exp. Better locks etc just keep the kids out. Our doors, windows and RV walls are no match for crowbars and battery operated cutting equipment. Pictures are only real defense.
The problem is video surveillance does little to prevent the crime from happening, and even less to help get our stuff back. It might help put the perps. in jail, but that is long after the stuff they stole has been sold usually. Don't get me wrong, it's useful and I have it around my property, but I'm going to invest in an alarm system for my trailer. Entry sensors for the basement and main doors, and a motion sensor for the inside. I'm going to build it myself with wireless components. Just a modified car alarm. They even have the ones that will message your cell phone of a break-in. For cameras to be a deterrent to a break-in, they must be visible on the outside, and that is tough to accomplish on an RV. There are very inexpensive(
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:13 AM   #11
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Artemus (Michael) is probably on the right track. Burglars don't like seeing surveillance equipment. Cameras and alarms will keep them away long before different locks will. Better locks will just make them bring/use better tools to break in and actually cause more damage in many cases. Of course the bottom line is if they are stealing to feed a severe drug habit then they may not really be worrying about getting caught later anyway.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Fortunately ours is never in a storage area and we are in in most of the year. These things are easy to break into.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Our Monty got broke into when it was 2 months old. I install security system, see following post for more details

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...Terms=flagship
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I don't see stopping the thief. J &C, is correct. Most meth heads will get into your rig with a rock if need be. While it's sucks, you just have to understand, our RVs our very vulnerable to thieves. Frankly, I find it surprising we don't hear more about break ins. I do another thing, I get to know my neighbors even for a night. I ask people to watch our rig, "tell them it's under camera watch"! In our storage facility I just hold my breath, remove everything I can't replace, and hope for the best. Last you can always display the Red Neck Alarm! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #15
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Red Neck Alarm??? Is that set of empty cans with rocks attached to string around the rig?? lol Really sorry to hear about the break-ins. The wheels are easy takings also. Hope for the best.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #16
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
It amazes me that during all the units broken-in-to there, no Propane Tanks were taken. The Deputy told me that starts in late October, when they need to keep warm. He starts checking out the locations, that he knows where they stay in RV's.

Maybe we need to put our RV's license number on the bottom of the tank, where they wouldn't think to look. That way it could be traced back to us and prove possession of stolen property.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #17
2Shays20
Established Member

M.O.C. #13927
Could someone please clarify? Are these RV's in storage or being lived in? We are looking to maybe retire to Sequim someday if we don't full time. Is B&E a large problem or similar to the rest of the country? Any input would be appreciated. Our Monty HC is stored in a gated storage facility part of the year and we have had no problems to date, but we don't leave much in 5er of any value or leave LP tanks or storage unlocked. Traded out 751 locks for digital cam locks. Now DW is worried about crime on Olympic peninsula. Have looked at crime stats for the area and they don't seem much different from our location. Usually related to the drug scene. I know that locks only keep honest people honest and anyone can get in if they want in.
2Shays20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:05 AM   #18
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mine was in a gated high fenced storage facility with normal entry only allowed between 6 am and 9 pm. Thieves cut thru the chain link fence on the back side. Twice, about 5 yrs ago and about 3 yrs ago. They installed better video monitoring. No break-ins since, but I don't know if that is due to the cameras or not.
I still have the 751 locks, but that did not matter any way as they simply pryed the basement doors open. And did not even damage the doors. The tabs on the locks simply bent back about 45 degrees.
They did not get inside mine. But on some they either pryed open the doors, or broke the door windows and reached in and unlocked them.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote