Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
ard103
Established Member

M.O.C. #9000
Does this hitch look right? (edited pictures)

EDITED PICTURE LINKS.

A picture explains this much better than I can.

After reading the posts about dropping the RV, and being very new to the RV, I am concerned that my hitch is not fully and correctly hitching. The handle latch is difficult to engage on the hitch handle and usually must be "tapped" by hand into place. Also, the hole in the hitch jaws is not "round" as I would expect it to be.

If the attached pictures turn out, it is evident where the jaws only touch the RV hitch about 180 degrees, not the 360 degress I would expect. The hitch is a REESE 16K.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

ard103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
ard103
Established Member

M.O.C. #9000
The pictures were there earlier. Am I doing something wrong? They are from picasa.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It is not clear what you are addressing from the picture I can see. I do know that the jaws of your hitch should completely close around your king pin. When it is correctly in place the handle should be relatively easy to close and lock. If that is not the case, I would get an RVer friend or neighbor to look at it for you.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I have the Reese 16K hitch. It is recommended to hook up to the RV with the hitch in the closed position, with the latch that locks the handle in the unlocked position. When you back into the hitch, the jaws will open, then slam shut around the king pin. Then flip the latch into the grove in the handle.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I also have the 16K hitch and do the same as slick willie there are times that I will have to tap the lever to be able to flip over the locking tab.
Also you can load up immages at this web site for free if this will help on posting pictures.

http://www.tinypic.com/
Old 03-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ard103,

No picture that I can see. But I have the same hitch as you and have NEVER had it not snap closed around the king pin so the latch could easily fit. If it does not operate as expected it means I have not done a proper job of positioning. I reset and try again. Have NEVER had to pound on anything connected with the hitch. Sounds as if you need your dealer or some other knowledgeable person take a look at yours. I don't think pounding on your hitch is good for it.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Alan -

I believe your hitch is just fine. It is not designed to be perfectly round. With the exception of when you are backing up, all f the force is against the back portion of the hitch. You may need to lube your hitch a little if it's sticky. Follow Slick Willy's suggestion and leave the hitch closed when backing into the trailer. It will automatically open and close. I learned that only after I had my hitch for a while. Enjoy your Montana.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:34 AM   #8
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have the same hitch and was not aware that you can hookup with the jaws closed. We are taking the Monty to the dealer for a few repairs on Friday and then off for a quick weekend trip. I will have to try it out. Starting our 4th season with this hitch and learn something new!
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rick, just be sure you flip the latch back. HA! I failed to do that one time, and the jaws sure wouldn't open. I believe if you read on the Reese website, they recommend leaving the jaws closed. I suppose it is to let them "slam" shut, thus locking good around the king pin.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Rick, just be sure you flip the latch back. HA! I failed to do that one time, and the jaws sure wouldn't open. I believe if you read on the Reese website, they recommend leaving the jaws closed. I suppose it is to let them "slam" shut, thus locking good around the king pin.
Good POI slickwillie.
Thats for sure, I almost had that happen to me, so that is one of the first things I check before I slide under.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #11
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

That is not a problem. I painted my jaws white so that they are easier to see in low light. I always check to make sure they are closed plus I have a pin that I run thru the lock to make sure it does not come open accidentally.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #12
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
......Never mind.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #13
ard103
Established Member

M.O.C. #9000
Thanks for the replies.

To me, it just does not look like the opening in the jaws is quite right. I have only used it for the initial pull from the dealer to where we are storing it, about 10 miles. Then, we have moved it from storage to a camping site 4 times, only about 500 or 600 hundred feet from the storage site. So it seems that the paint on the rear of the jaws would wear while we are backing it into the sites the 5 or 6 tries it takes me to get lined up into the site.

So again, thanks for the replies and advice.

Alan
Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Alan -

We have pulled ours for five years and many thousands of miles and it still looks pretty much like yours.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
mcculloe
Established Member

M.O.C. #7259
I have the same hitch -- Reese 16k. I had problems occasionally getting it to lock in when I first got it. I've learned over time that it's all about getting the right top to bottom separation when hitching/unhitching by adjusting the front leg jack. The first time I tried to unhitch I blew the fuse -- and they said I went too high with it. But I think that caused the opposite problem, I was always too afraid to go high enough to make life easier. And it was fidgety and troublesome to get the lock in the last 1 inch. But over time, I've learned more about how high you can go before blowing that fuse, and my guess is you need to get your front jacks a little higher to get more separation.

As for your other question, your picture looks just like mine, so not sure what you mean about being perfectly round. 10,000 miles of troublefree towing, so I'm guessing I don't have a problem.
mcculloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #16
ard103
Established Member

M.O.C. #9000
Thanks for the replies. I fell more comfortable now knowing that I am not on the edge of dropping the RV. It is really great having this site and all of the knowledge here to depend on.

Alan
Old 03-21-2009, 01:37 AM   #17
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
We use a Reese 16K slider. I also take a flashlight and look at the back of the jaws to make sure that they are closed. After reading the pages in this forum I started useing a lock in the latch. This will keep someone from pulling your pin while you stop somewhere.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote