Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Have you noticed...........

.........that I takes days to get ready to go if you have been staying in one spot for a while. We have been at our base site since August. In preparation for travel to North Carolina, we have cleaned, straightened, removed and added, repacked, aired up, and revised our check lists. We leave Texas on Monday. I wonder what we have forgotten. It will probably become apparent about 50-60 miles down the road.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
stiles, that is why we RVer's have more than one of several different thing's over the years. Look at it this way we in a small way help to keep the economy going. We should spend more if we have it to spend, the economy is limping along. Keep our money circulating, don't you think the banks should do that? If you do forget something it can be replaced.

We just came back to Tennessee from Gulf Shores and left the Truck and 5th wheel there and drove Delaine's car back. As usual Delaine forgot to pack socks and underwear for me for our trip back (don't tell her I said that). Of course I was told that she though that I packed those things. And I was wearing shorts and it got cooler as we came North. No problem, Wally World here we come. Problem solve, now I have extra socks and shorts. You two shouldn't have a problem, as Delaine says when you have the 5th wheel behind the Truck the suitcase is packed. GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the stick home and the 3400.Except for perishable food stuffs we have two of everything. We have all the clothing we need that stays aboard. Dishes, pots/pans, silverware, mixers, toasters, blenders. Everything that we need is aboard and stays aboard.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We're like Rich & Helen, we have two of everything. It only takes us a few food stuffs (we buy most of that when we get to where we want). Takes the most time to get the pickup ready to go.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Packing??? Duplication???
We have one of everything but than again we only have one place to put it. It is so much easier to take everything we own, including food, wherever we go. AAHHhhhh, the fulltiming lifestyle.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:49 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Packing??? Duplication???
We have one of everything but than again we only have one place to put it. It is so much easier to take everything we own, including food, wherever we go. AAHHhhhh, the fulltiming lifestyle.
We're exactly the same. When you only have one place to put things, they tend to stay in that place.

Last time we went on a vacation without our home, we found that we had forgotten how to pack. Our CRS was expensive.

Alice informed me that we have stayed (packed up) in 140 different places since we started fulltiming. After a while, everything has a place, and if it is not in that place, it is lost.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:06 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
See, we rv'ers are adaptable. We choose our life style then do what is necessary to live it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
It was much cheaper when we were full timing, now we to have two of everything. We only pack perishable foods everything else is there. Again sometime we wonderful if we made the right decision on building another house. But we also know there will be a time when its possible we want be able to get in or out of the 5th wheel. And it would cost a lot of money to make changes to the 5er to make it were a wheel chair could be used. Our house was built with wide doors and a wheel chair ramp in the rear. We also learned while full timing you really don't need all that STUFF your hauling around. We travel with just what is used. Our basement is about half full, and I want to keep it that way. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

.......We also learned while full timing you really don't need all that STUFF your hauling around. We travel with just what is used. Our basement is about half full, and I want to keep it that way. GBY...
Agree! Our basement is half full too. As fulltimers, we try to only carry what is needed or whatever makes our life more convenient. We still find things that we just don't use enough to carry around with us.

We are so amazed when we see the things people lug around. They put very little thought into how often they would use it, how many times they need to take it out of the basement in order to get to something else, the cost to haul that weight around. It is all a trade-off.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
I can tell you that while I almost have packing for the outings in Bella down to a "science" I would much prefer the having duplicates of everything with regard to clothes. As it is now, I usually have one or two days of clothes there at all times for those times we go to Bella for the day and then decide to stay over night. But, my parents have a week's worth of clothing for both of them that is versatile enough that they can pretty much travel to any climate without any packing necessary (not that doesn't stop Mom from doing so though)! Regardless of the duplicates (or lack thereof) I do have to cart the dirty laundry back to the stick house so I have a number of rubbermaid tubs and canvas bags that I use for that process. Once the laundry is done it goes into the appropriate container and is ready for the next time we go out. Then its just a matter of the perishables and the clothes and off we go! (This usually means I have filled the bed of the truck with the exception of the 5th wheel hitch! LOL) Goal is to ultimately have duplicates of clothing to streamline the process a bit more...

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I'm doing my part for the economy. In addition to the stick house and the 3400, we have a boat that has everything in it the Montana has in the way of comfort/convenience/cooking, etc. So we have three of everything...except tools...have to have at least a 'small' set for the truck...so we have four sets of those.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My biggest problem with getting ready to move after being somewhere for sometime is repacking the basement. I usually end up taking everything out, vacumming and putting everything back in. I do recheck air in ALL tires, retorque wheels and visually check undercarriage for any thing that looks funny. I usually do this the day before we leave and just dump, pull in all lifelines, hook up and off we go. I do find, the longer we are stationary the more things we seem to accumulate, small things, but things nonetheless. I keep saying I am going to purge at least semianualy but sometimes that doesn't get done all the time. The longer I stay somewhere the more I seem to use the basement like a junk drawer, then I have to rearrange again. Oh well, a small price to pay. The fulltiming life is definitely different. We only have one of everything as mentioned earlier, seems to simplify life. Actually we have more than one pair of socks or underwear. I think you know what I am getting at. I wouldn't have it any other way right now......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OFF TOPIC

Phil

I hope you are counting that partridge in a pear tree in your weights, hmmm???? the partridge probably is just a few ounces, but that pear tree is gonna put you way over!

OKKKK, RESUME DISCUSSION
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Not to mention the Lords a Leaping, Maids a milking, Drummers Drumming, Pipers Piping etc... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Gosh we moved from one site in the RV park to another and it was the worst move we have ever done. I just shoved stuff on the couch, sink, bed etc. I like the everything has a place move alot better. I am also finding that this long term stuff has me putting extra STUFF in the RV. I now have a Christmas tree and outiside Candy Canes... hmmm oh shucks it is Christmas and the Grinch isn't here We will pull the rig to Kerville for the New Year and then back here to Bacliff to work around the 5th of Jan. I will have to find a place to put the new stuff

Colleen

PS... we are going to get busted by the on topic police
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:29 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Lindy,
You said you went to Wally-world and bought socks and shorts.
I just have to ask.
Are you still in the same pair of underwear?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Phil,

Your experiences mirror ours!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote