Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
RidgecrestDad
Established Member

M.O.C. #8969
Kitchen Slide Out - Came Out at Top Only

We have a 2007 3075RL and at least twice now we have found the kitchen slide has opened up at the top while traveling. It seemingly remains fully closed and locked in at the floor, but the top extends away from the coach. I noted this problem the first time in my rear view mirror when I saw the top extended from the coach about 6 inches. At the same time the slide was rotated some items (plastic glasses etc) had come out of the cabinets on the opposite side and apparently in "a perfect storm" they slid under the slide when it was canted out. The glasses kept the slide from returning to flat on the floor, hence I was able to see it. I was able to put a block under the slide and use my tire iron to lift the slide up to where we could get the broken plastic from under it using the long metal hook for the awning to hook stuff and remove it from under the slide. Once all the broken pieces and block were removed, it slammed down. (A note of caution to others - a hand underneath will be broken and you will likely be pinned there as well if you try to remove stuff without a support and the slide reseats as it appears to be a weight "over-center" design.) For weeks after this event we had a black streak on the carpet that would clean up fairly easily each time we opened the slideout.

I do not believe I was speeding or turning hard but.....possibly I tapped the brakes on a turn at the top of a small rise and this happened.

Our second venture happened a couple weeks ago when the wife and I took some pomegranates to some friends. This time we feared the slide had rotated out again as 4 of 5 pomegranates which were on the couch in a bag were nowhere to be found (one was under a recliner). As we opened the slide we found squashed pomegranates oozing juice on the linoleum and carpet. I was able to lift the slide and had the wife remove the pieces similarly to above. Fortunately we had rug cleaner and after scrubbing 3 times the rug is clean - no stains. This trip was over freeways in the LA area, so again I doubt I could be horsing the 5th wheel around by speeding or turning hard.

After the first event friends told us about placing rods in between the slide and coach, however there is no solid place to put a rod. I believe the large MONTANA logo is plastic and styrofoam. The other 2 slides (bedroom and living area with couch) apparently have not done this as they are on the driver side and I would likely see them in the rear view more easily.

All slides seem to work well, we have no leaks (in or out), and they appear to rest well against the outside of the coach. (I am experiencing what others note about the slides during closing and stopping -but an immediate reselection of the switch generates movement again and they close just fine. I can not relate that problem to the incident(s) discussed. It just might be standard.)

I am concerned about what has happened to the bolts/holes attaching the slide. Unfortunately they are all concealed and I can't see any damage - if I have any.

Anybody else have this experience? Any ideas why this is happening? And how can I prevent this?

RidgecrestDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the forum Barry!

I have heard of people experiencing this, even to the point that the microwave falls out of the mount when the slide slams back shut.

As an experiment, my wife and I got inside the coach with all the slides in and tried pushing out on the top of each one. With the exception of the bedroom (too heavy), we were able to push out on the top of the kitchen, the entertainment slide, and even the superslide. The kitchen was the easiest because it is the shallowest and has the most top weight (refrig and micro).

If you study the slide system, the slides themselves are like a dresser drawer with no center guide. The slide ram and rail system are under the floor and do nothing more than open and close the drawer from the outer edge where the side rail is attached to the slide with bolts along the outer edge. I have never found anything that would actually prevent the slides from tipping out if there was enough force applied to the top.

Mine may actually be doing it, but I can't see it in a left turn so I don't know for sure. If it does, it hasn't caused any problems so far. You're idea about the brace crossed my mind, but I haven't actually experienced a reason to do it yet.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This happened to me once (that I know about). We had a sack of canned goods inside the door. I hit a dip on one side which caused the rig to sway suddenly and sharply, and the top come out. A can of beans rolled under the slide and prevented it from settling. I removed the can and the slide settled into place as you indicated.

If you think about it. All the frame work for moving the slide is at the bottom, so it is not secured at the top. All the weight of the slide is inside the rig to hold it down. However, if a sharp sway occurs, then the top of the slide will rock out, but it will resettle unless something blocks it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Welcome to the forum!!

OKKKKK, first things first, look up MOC member MIMF and contact him, he used to work for Lippert and knows bucket loads of stuff on this.

Next, this has never happened to us, doesn't that make you feel good??

Next, there are adjustments that can be made to hold the top in, but, again, you need someone here at the MOC that has done them or MIMF. I am sure someone will come along and be able to tell you all about that.

Al and I have been told that a bar is unnecessary with hydrolic slides, I sure am glad, that is just one more thing for this ole gal to forget.

Next, many of us practice "velcro the doors" game in our units. Some have come up with neato ideas about child proof locks. Always have the cupboards full, even if you have to fill the empty spots with toilet paper or paper towels, that makes a huge difference, things cannot fall against the doors and pop them open.

Al and I rarely put anything heavy that can break and make messy in the top cupboards. I do put a limited number of books in some of the upper cabinets.

Is the fluid level in the front cargo area at the right levels?? Again, you will need some of the fellas to tell you how to check that, slides in or slides out??? There are a number of MOC guys that know this stuff.

I'll let the guys take if from here, good luck and again, welcome to the forum.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
You can buy a locking bar that fits between the top of the slide and the inside of the Montana. We used to have a small TT with a manual slide and that was one way it stayed in while travelling.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Robb (that is his forum name)from Ill. had the same issue on his 3400. He went through some pretty extensive work with the factory to rectify the problem. If he doesn't come along with a response soon you can send him a PM. He has a ton of knowledge on this issue.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Our 1st 5er with a slide out of any kind was a 2000 27' model. It came with two bars to wedge the top of the super slide. I was suprised when we bought our 2003 2955 that it didn't come with bars. Perhaps these could be a temporary solution until one finds out if an adjustment is possible?
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
As noted above we had problems with our kitchen slide coming out at the top on a right turn, after the 2nd micro was thrown out of the wall Keystone took it in for a 5 week rebuild!!
They changed all of the steel under the slide and then said "live with it". Was still so you could stand inside and with little force push the top of the kitchen slide out 12/14".
After some discussion Keystone installed awnings on all of the slides and that took care of the problem, pulled unit over 40,000 miles with no more slide problems.(had enough other problems to make up for it)
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:36 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Robb, the awnings(slide toppers?) actually put enough tension on the slides to keep the tops in. Who would have thought, of course we have never had them.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #10
RidgecrestDad
Established Member

M.O.C. #8969
Thanks to all for your replies. I am off to work the problem.
RidgecrestDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I have been looking for the solution for this problem for some time. I posted this problem some time back and hoped that I would get a good answer to the why this happens. I do know why it does but the reason keystone hasn't come up with a fix. they do know it happens I'm sure. some of the folks here were going to ask keystone for the answer at the big rally back east but I haven't herd what the out come was yet. I made a stop out of a piece of wood to keep it from happining again to me. it really looks bad in the mirror when it happens and if it happens at the wrong time it could cause a big problem. if a truck is comming at you and just a little to close in a turn it could get hit they all holly heck would break out not wanting that little problem in my life I cut a stop for it and put a big red flag on it so I see it before I open the slides also put a red piece of tape on the slide switch to remind me before a touch the switch hope you have yours fixed and I'll be asking you for the proper way to fix this problem
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote