Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Couple of Newbie Questions

Took our new 3485S on a familiarization run this weekend. Found a couple of warranty items (kitchen GFI did not work nor did a couple of lights and ceiling fan) but will wait until we hook up at a full 50 amp campground to see if that is the problem.

Also, A/C worked fine in the main cabin, but disappointing flow of air through the vent system to the other areas. Prior owned 30' TT blew air just fine throughout. I now there are alot of threads on Zone 2 A/C, but is there something I am missing to the fact that only a trickle of air comes out of the other vents? I adjusted the register on the main A/C duct to see if that deflects more airflow elsewhere, but that does not help.

Otherwise, very pleased and have stabilizers on order to install to take some of the movement out of the rig.

fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I had the GFCI plug problem with our unit. I went to ACE Hardware and replaced then with their brand and haven't had a problem since. I think the ones Keystone uses are very poor quality. Ace brand are about $7 each. I'm waiting for the dealer to reimburse me. They said they would. If you replace yours they come in Bone and Almond color. I think you want bone color. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Fernsco,
Is the "quick cool" open on the air condition? (If you have the quick cool) The quick cool is in the area of the filter. There are little tabs there to close it off. Closing it all the way will get more air flow to the rear compartment.

Check ALL GFI outlets. You could have one outside, or in the bedroom, on the same circuit . Push the little button in on all of them and try again. They are hooked in series and if one trips it affects several outlets.

Edited: I mention outside because on the 3400RL I have a weatherproof GRI outlet on the outside of the Montana.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Thanks Waynem and Jolu,
Yes, we tried the "quick cool" in both the open and closed positions to see if that changed the flow to elsewhere in the rig. Because it did not, that is what led me to believe that possibly there is an obstruction in the air flow.
No, I did not check the outside GFI and will do so. The one in the bathroom works fine.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:32 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Fernsco,
I'm thinking you have some other outlets that are not working because typically the GFI's are in series with other outlets. It's also been reported on this forum that wires have been loose going to the GFI, and/or the breaker box connection.

Sorry I didn't put that in my first reply. There are some good electricians on here that should be able to give you some other insight to your problem.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I remember a thread a while back where the duct work coming from the AC unit was not fully taped up and not all of the air flow was being directed to the duct work. Also being this is my first fifth and bigger than my old TT the air flow is not as strong in the bedroom as I would like but it does cool off pretty quick.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
So this is our second trip out in the new Montana and now the bathroom GFI does not work which of course means no outlet in the bedroom works to include the tv. I did remove both GFIs and checked to insure all wires are tight. We are in a campground with 50 amp so I know it is not a "step down" problem. Guess next step is to replace both GFI units or have the dealer do it under warranty.

As far as the A/C, until my Jayco vent covers come in people on other threads talk about, I blocked off to vents in the living area to direct more air into the bedroom. Not knowing much about A/C, the bedroom duct is the last one on the line, but alot of cold air bypasses that vent and drifts off into the ether zone I think. I took a wad of tin foil and created a block after that last duct so more comes out in the bedroom. Is this a good or bad thing? Is there a return flow that I am not aware off that I may damage??

As always, thanks for the replies. Other than the above two issues we love our new second home. Next time out we head for the mountains. I wanted a flat, easy drive this go-round.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I had to replace my gfi in the bathroom area near the sink in my 3000RK also. Make sure you remember to replace the wires back in the proper connectors.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Also check the outside GFI outlet. We once had it tripped out there and it shut down the interior GFI outlets as all are on the same circuit.

On the A/C, if blocking it off is working I would leave it. I don't think that duct returns anywhere. It just deadends. If my memory from the factory tours serves me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Fernsco,

Also start checking all the connections on those circuits for loose wires and especially grounds. We had some early issues along those lines.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Update on my electrical problems....replaced both GFI outlets this weekend and now everything works fine. Thanks again for the great advice one and all!
Old 05-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
fernsco- you can buy some of the aluminum duct tape at most hardware or home improvement stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Ace Hardware and etc) I've taped my vents with that and the air flow increased drasticly! Seems the factory leaves some space at times between the ductwork and the vents themselves and the air just goes into the ceiling or area between the ceiling and the roof. Keeps the top of the Monte nice and cool when you want to work on it up there! I think there have been other threads on this and there where even some pictures at one time. You might check the search engine! Glad you got your GFIs figured out! Not the highest quality recepticals that's for sure! Keep us informed on your shake downs!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote