Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Electrical Problem

Hello Everyone!

It's been a while since we have called upon our Montana friends, we hope all is going well for everyone. We took our Monty out for a lovely weekend. At the campsite, everything went smoothly and we had a great time.

On the way home, we hit some windy mountain roads and the slider (fridge side) came out along the top about 1 foot or so. We pulled over and we were able to slide it out and in without any problems and went on our way. It did not come out again.

Here's the problem: We got home and cannot seem to get power to the Monty at all! We checked the voltage at the source and at each cord end from the 30amp at the house to the Monty and all checks out ok. The breakers are on inside the TT. We have a SurgeGuard hardwired and it is not showing any standby lights or anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there more breakers to look for? Also, has anyone had their slider come out like that before? I hope the electrical problem is not connected. Or is it? Not a good way to end a wonderful outing!

Thank you in advance!

Sue & Harv.

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Did you check the voltage coming into the surge guard? If that is gone the voltage will stop there I believe.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Waldo,

My husband just checked the voltage and there is power coming into the surgeguard (line side) and nothing on the "load" end. Not sure if that means there is a problem or what!

At least we know there is power coming to it.

Sue

Old 03-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Sue & Harv,

I am not sure if your model is wired like mine, but there are two breakers that I believe the shore power drops into before it is routed to the main breaker panel. On my 05 2955rl in the front storage bin next to the batteries is an IOTA box with two breakers. You might want to check to make sure they are not tripped. They are 50A push button breakers.

Good luck!
Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
EagleRunner,

We just looked and can't see anything that resembles a box with a breaker. We found what appears to be an inline fuse box, but cannot seem to get it to open! Is yours a breaker box easily recognizable?

My husband feels the problem is in the SurgeGuard because it is getting power to it and nothing coming out the other end. We will give the dealer a call in the morning and see what they say.

Hopefully this will be a warranty item....

Sue

Old 03-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have tw0 of those little black boxes with the red push button in my battery compartment. I have the 3400RL with Onan 5500 Generator. One box may be for it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RCMP03

Waldo,

My husband just checked the voltage and there is power coming into the surge guard (line side) and nothing on the "load" end. Not sure if that means there is a problem or what!

At least we know there is power coming to it.

Sue
If you do not have any voltage at the line the it is not getting there. That means check the power back toward the outside pole.
Make sure there is power at the pole receptacle. If there is then make sure there is power at the end of your power plug before it plugs into the trailer. If it is there then you have to trouble shoot the receptacle at the end of the trailer and the wiring from there to the surge guard line.
Good luck and let us know what you find. Please be safe when working with HOT wires.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063

John: There is power at the pole, all the way up to the trailer including the line in to the Surge Guard. We do not register any power coming back out of the Surge Guard to the trailer, it is labeled "load".

I hear ya about being safe with hot wires.....we will have the dealer check into it for sure. We were just hoping for a magic wand! Nothing can be easy, ya know!

Waynem: We will have another look tomorrow when it is light. The truck is still hooked up to the trailer making it difficult to get into the front compartment. Maybe there is a breaker in the battery area we are not seeing.

Thank you everyone for your input.....we appreciate it!

Sue
Old 03-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Sue,

I think Harv may have just stumbled upon the problem. If you have voltage to the input side of the surgegard and nothing out the load, it is more than likely the surgegard that is the problem.

My trailer was factory prep'd for a generator and that is probably why I have the Safe Guard box with the breakers. Unless yours was factory prep'd for a generator, you may not have this box.

Perhaps for the evening Harv might be able to bypass the surgeguard until you can have it replaced???

Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
EagleRunner,

We suspect it is the SurgeGuard too. Not a problem with needing power right now as we have returned from our trip and in the process of cleaning it up to go back to storage. We can always run an extension cord for the vacuum, but will need the power back to 100% for the next trip!

Oh, we are not factory wired for generator so maybe that is why ours is different. Thanks for your input....we will let everyone know what it turned out to be!

Sue
Old 03-31-2008, 03:20 AM   #11
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Check the power coming in to the surge guard for reversed polarity. When I installed my surge protector, I found that I had a reversed polarity. I had to fix my power post before the protector allowed the power through to the trailer
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 AM   #12
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
BW2,

We had it installed by the dealer about 8 months ago and it has worked fine until now. Would reverse polarity happen inadvertently? Forgive my ignorance I am a bit helpless when it comes to electrical problems.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:41 AM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you have no lights on the surge protector and no voltage at the line in terminals then you have to look at the next termination point toward the outside receptacle. I wired mine in myself so I know how mine is wired. I go from the power pole to the transfer switch (for generator) and then from the control panel side of the auto transfer switch to my Surge protector to the circuit panel.
If yours is wired the same as mine then I would pull the face panel off the transfer switch and check the voltages there.
Good luck.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote