Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
mtofell
Established Member

M.O.C. #7825
How expensive is the piece I broke?

Well, it seems the trees in the neighborhood grew over the winter or I got a bit closer to them this year while driving out.

In any case, I totally busted a piece of plastic off the top of my rig this morning. As best I can tell it's just a rain sheild above the kitchen area. I can see a plumbing vent and some other mechanical stuff for the fridge/kitchen area.

It looks pretty basic and I'm thinking of just buying a straight pieced of plastic, drilling holes and moving on with life. Just for fun I'm curious if anyone has an idea how much a factory one would cost.

I hope I've given enough info. It's off of an 04 2955rl.... For now I just have a piece of firewood over the opening (still allows airflow since I luckily didn't break the screws and other mounting stuff). This works okay until I hit about 5mph so I'll have to deal with it soon.

Thanks for any ideas...

mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
If it is the vent for the frige,I would think camping world might have those in stock. Should not be real expensive,I think. Check there web site.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Wow! I think that you should get yourself a new 10th anniversary model Montana so you will not have to go through the expense of repairs. :-) I think if you only broke the vent it is relatively in expensive to repair. I bought the wind direction vent at Wal Mart for around $18.00 and a tube of roof caulking. Easy fix.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
At the dealer, the vent cover for the toilet (black tank vent) was about $3.00 or so. You may not have to replace the roof mount portion, but just the cap as I did. If you just have to remove the cap, there is a single screw that holds it on when snapped in place. After you screw the cap on, fill the screw hole with some all weather caulk. Keeps the screw in and prevents the screw from rusting. (so much)

If you have to replace the roof mount, get the dealer or an RV supply place to sell you the caulk needed to go around the flange to the roof mount. Use the old tooth pick trick to fill the screw holes where the vent flange goes into the roof and caulk, caulk, caulk!

Edited: p.s., here in TC the city is responsible for maintaining the street overhang limbs to 16 feet. I called recently and first then send a notice out to the owner that it is their responsibility, but if the owner doesn't cut the limbs the city comes in and does a hack job. I'm already seeing trees being trimmed on my street.

I'll be I'm real popular around the block right now.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
mtofell
Established Member

M.O.C. #7825
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

Wow! I think that you should get yourself a new 10th anniversary model Montana so you will not have to go through the expense of repairs. :-) I think if you only broke the vent it is relatively in expensive to repair. I bought the wind direction vent at Wal Mart for around $18.00 and a tube of roof caulking. Easy fix.
I'm pretty sure one off a 10 year old trailer would cost about the same.... I'm not really sure what your point is ???? The part that busted off looks like more than a couple bucks. I'd guess it's 20" long X 8" wide and has some fairly specific recessed holes for the fasteners. It's the kind of thing that looks super easy to mimick but a stock one would cost $40 or $50.... maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Wayne- Give the City of Omaha a call also will you so I can get my Monte home this spring later! Can't get it into the farm place until I cut some limbs out there too! Never ending battle for truth, justice and the American way!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just type in refrigerator vent at the quick find on this link
http://www.adventurerv.net/#

The're about $20
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:01 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Since you have to get up there to replace it anyway, you may want to consider putting some "chicken wire" under it to keep little critters and birds out. When I searched for how to do it, I found this. There's a show called RV Roadtrips (I've never heard of it!) on the DIY channel. This mentions an upcoming show on how to do it.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_tra...751972,00.html
When you click on the link where it says "From RV Roadtrips at the top of the article, it will send you here. There are links here to show times, etc.
On edit: Here's a link to info on the show, It says it's an HD show and I don't have Dishnet's HD feeds, so I guess I can't get it. http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_drvr/
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:21 AM   #9
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Don't feel bad about you knocking off a vent cover. I lost my fridge vent cover at Ft. DeSoto in Florida. I then went to a rv dealer and bought a new vent cover (I think there are only 2 types) and replaced it myself. It has only 6 screws and took less than 5 minutes to put it on.
In all the years of RVing if that is the worst that happens to you then you are VERY lucky.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:02 AM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
mtofell, I will give you something to chuckle over,so you won't feel as bad about tree limbs.
On our first 5th wheel, I was able to move it around the yard with our tractor, I made a frame up to mount the hitch onto so I would have an easier time getting it into our storage building every winter.
Well,one fall I was in such a hurry to put it inside,after work and just before dark, I ran out hooked up the tractor,and of course could'nt wait for my youngest son to come out and assist me,you know father knows best!! well I had to turn it around first so I could back it into the building,as I was starting to back up to straighten out the tractor to then go forward,I FORGOT IN MY HASTE that there was an OLD,TALL,APPLE TREE in the corner of the lot. I started to pull forward when I looked over to my left and saw the branch move!!!
I then said to myself,SELF, why is that tree moving? In the meantime my son came out back and at the same time I saw the movement,I saw my son's eyes get as big as a red delicous apple,and then started to scream,STOP,STOP. I got off the tractor and then saw why.
a branch,about 6 inches in dia. caught the rear corner of the trailer and then deciced it was not good enough,and went through the side and into the living room. I went inside to find about a foot of tree inside the camper. OH,WHAT A FEELING!!!!! Needless to say my son was stunned,so was I,I wouldn't even talk to anyone,could'nt get any nice words out, so, got my saw cut the branch off and put trailer inside for the winter. Took me all winter to calm down enough to look at it again. Ended up with a nice bunk style window where there was none before. Thats what I get for being in a hurry,
P.S. there are no more apple trees ANYWHERE in my yard. And I won't even tell you about dropping the trailer off the truck...........
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #11
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Sounds like you may have broken the vent over the refrigerator. I'd check CW or check the dealer for price of replacement. We lost ours outside Des Moines in '06. Got a replacement from Keystone and installed it - easy fix.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Racerjoe,
We need to know what NOT TO DO so maybe you should tell us about dropping the trailer off the truck in a new thread. I'd read it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote