Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #41
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by txkrumm

I am considering forming an LLC in Montana. That being said, I AM a 15+ year resident of Big Sky Country and proud of it. I own multiple properties and personal property in MT for which I pay taxes on. I am currently working in CA. I work a 75% on 25% off schedule, 4 week on two weeks off during which I return home to MT. I am living in the MONTANA camper during my time at work in CA. I am considering and have been advised by many in my field that setting up an LLC and having the corporation pay me as a private contractor/employee would be very beneficial. I have yet to meet with the lawyer or the accountant/financial planner but intend to do so as soon as I return home. All our vehicles are licensed in MT, we pay MT income tax, and carry MT drivers licenses. I don't think we should have any problem proving residency with all these criteria...
What do you'all think
tara
Your situation sounds to be nothing more than taking advantage of existing laws. And there is nothing wrong with that. I think what was being disparaged here is a situations where, say, I have Kansas residency but establish a MT LLC only for the purpose of reducing my tax load by avoiding Kansas taxes. Unless I misunderstand the situation you describe sounds legitimate to me. But you are wise to work with your attorney to make sure. I have no legal expertise and am only commenting.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #42
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tara - everybody knows you are a Big Sky girl . You are the model of what Montana LLC was originally intended.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Now you have got me on this LLC thing.I care nothing about the LLC as I will never do it and I do not condone cheating to avoid paying taxes. There was a couple from Louisiana next to us for a month who had Montana plates on his MH and Toad. He was registered under a Montana LLC, had a home in Louisiana and knew full well it was illegal but said it saved them a ton of money. Now , using Steve S example , without his permission. If you sold all your property in a State and are traveling around the country full timing..what would you do for a State of Residence?? You would need a Drivers license, Registration and Plates, etc..I always thought you could pick most any State, some being easier than others like S.D and establish residence and be completely legal.I guess if I had a choice I would pick the State that was the most "kind" to me in terms of taxation..nothing wrong with that??Or is there???? We are satisfied with Ohio and would not change our State of residence if we did full time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #44
KJReynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8215
I guess until we walk in another's shoes we shouldn't pass judgement. The only way for Bob and I to go to a state with lower taxes is to walk away from the grandbabies, and that's never going to happen. Like I said before, everything is relative to how and where you can live your life. Nothing is free. For us the high cost of maintaining residency in California is worth it because of our children and grandchildren. We'll always come back to our babies in California. Besides, the weather is great here in Simi Valley.
KJReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #45
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just from reading - this has been an ongoing conflict between states for several years.

As a full timer, it would appear you are free to do what you want, you just have to be able to defend it in those states trying to fight back. Colorado just says if you play-work-sleep here for an extended period of time (>30 days), they may impose a 3% use tax on you. That way they don't have to challenge your LLC or PO box. I guess the best defense is to keep good records of where you hang out.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #46
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Whoa !! Are you telling me if I haul my Montana to CO for 2 weeks at a time, twice a year (>30 days) or once for 31 days and spend my Texas earned money to pay sales tax on all my purchases and meals in CO and pay the CO taxes on fuel purchases, that I am still subject to a 3% tax? 3% of what?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #47
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I think for Texans it said 6% , no just kidding, we don't have enough vaults to store that kind of money.

Thats as far as I get into it VanMan - its posted above and I have no experience with it. I would really doubt it is intended for vacationers.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:35 AM   #48
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Hey its worth it to hang out in such a beeutifull state.(inthesummer)
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote