Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Winterized, now what? Two ?'s

Ok MOCr's! Being a newbie and getting my Monte winterized with the pink stuff, do I leave the two valves turned to keep the lines sealed for the winter or do I go ahead and turn the valves back to the orignal positions following the winterizing? I left them in the winterizing position for now until I hear back from the pros out there!

Also, looks like I will not be putting my fiver inside for the winter, as I had hoped, because the door into the shed is only 11' 6" and I need at least 12' 6" if not 13'. If I leave the fiver plugged into shore power, can I take out the battery or should I leave it in the fiver for the winter so I don't have any open cables?

I may have jumped the gun on the winterizing since we may take the fiver down to Alabama/Georgia area and possibly up to southern Ohio yet but figured with the temps getting into the low 30 and high 20's thought I'd be better off safe than sorry!
Thanks for any advise in advance!

Rondo

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
First you reference two valves. I assume one is the hot water winterize valve and the other is the pump valve which switches between the siphon for the pink stuff or the fresh water tank. The hot water valve needs to stay in the winterize position to keep pressure or pink stuff in the system and not let it flow into the hot water heater. The siphon valve can go either way but for uniformity I leave them both in the winterize position. In the spring I turn them both back to normal.
Reference the battery - I pull mine and store it in a warm place. If you are going to plug in your Monty while it is winterized make sure the two cables are not touching any mental. The converter if energized (plugged into 110 VAC) will try and recharge the battery which is removed.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Of course you drained the hot water tank. I missed this one year while in a rush to catch a plane. Next spring was not a pretty site nor was the replacement cost.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Yup, I drain my hot water heater each and every time I return from a trip or excursion! I also turn off the breaker to it AND the switch on the external or outside of the H2O heater which guarantees me not burning up the element in the heater since it's empty!

John- thanks for the advice on the battery and the two shutoffs. I figured that would be the thing to do with the shutoffs since then I won't forget to do each one when spring comes again. The battery I was unsure about but figured to wrap each terminal with a rubber booty and then tape it on to prevent any shorts!
Old 10-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Now put a note in there to remind you next spring to turn the hot water by-pass off. I forgot to do that this year when I hooked up at the Branson Rally. My wife went to take a shower and said she had no hot water. Because I forgot to turn that valve there was not water in the hot water tank causing the element to burned out.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
One other item to mention. If by chance that you were going to fire up your furnace in your Monty during the winter, you need your battery in to make the thermostat work. Thermostat works off of 12volt and not 110 volt.... Sounds like you have it pretty much covered... JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by deadeye

One other item to mention. If by chance that you were going to fire up your furnace in your Monty during the winter, you need your battery in to make the thermostat work. Thermostat works off of 12volt and not 110 volt.... Sounds like you have it pretty much covered... JB
I don't think that is quite right. the thermostat does not have a direct tap off the battery but instead is powered off the DC bus. The DC Bus recieves power from either the battery or the converter. Not having the battery will installed will not prevent all of the DC loads from running off of the converter (as long as there is AC power to the converter. You can verify this by opening up your Battery disconnect which is in the circuit between the battery and the DC Bus and seeing that everything continues to work if AC power is present at the coach. While in Goshen this fall, the factory service folks opened my disconnect while working on my unit and I did not notice until the campground lost power in the middle of the night (due to the fire) and I had no power in the unit. Prior to that all equipment including the DC lights worked fine.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #8
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Bill/Rondo:
Sorry for the ill advise. I was assuming that the furnace would not work as I know on my own unit that I could not get the air conditioner to work this summer until I put a battery in as AC power alone would not do it. As soon as I put the battery in, everything kicked in. I guess that is what you get for assuming something as I figured the furnace to be the same as the Air Conditioner or run through the same panel...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Rondo, one other thing that was not mentioned, make sure you leave the refrigerator doors open or you will have a rather smelly one in the spring. Also remember that if you try and keep it running during the winter you will neet both 120VAC and 12VDC.

If you mean the low point drains, I usually leave them open. Make a list of what you have done so it will be clear in the Spring what to do.

Before you drain the hot water tank make sure the power switch is turned off and I put a piece of tape over the inside switch that starts the gas heat to the hot water tank.

Good luck
Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Dick! I guess I never thought of putting the tape over the switch for the gas on the water heater. I'll do that when I get out to the fiver in a day or two! Take care and will talk at all you later and hope to meet some of you if not all in Branson next spring. I hope to make it down for the Rally and put faces and meet everyone that's been answering my Newbie questions!

Rondo