Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Well I have made the plunge

Today we committed to the 2008 Big Sky. What a leap. I am both excited and nervous. It should be here the first week of December.
We went for the full monty on this and got the Onan as well. My wife had couple of reasons to support it. First we would like to occasionally stay in some of the Natl parks and often times they are not available with power. Further we live in So. Cal and have always felt that should the big one come we may be darn glad we have that as a fall back in an emergency. In 94 we lost power at home for about 10 hours not a big deal but if something comes allot bigger we could be without for some time. We keep our trailer now more or less ready with clothing and misc food so when we want to get camping we are partially prepared. Having the generator will also provide we 120 power at the storage facility so I can work on the unit, etc. Further we then have 120v if we stop on the road in a rest area of truck stop for some quick shut eye.
Also if it is really warm we can run it on the way to our next stop and let the AC run to cool the unit down. Does anyone else do this?
I know many run with the frig using the propane to keep it cold.
I want to thank everyone who answered my many posts and somewhat dumb questions.
My biggest decision now is regarding the pin box. I ordered it with the Moryde pin box and we will be using a Pullrite 20.5K Super 5th hitch on Super rails (I think that is what they are called). We have a long bed. I will also be adding air bags.
I am curious how this combination will work and since I have not towed a 5er I have no clue. I can still bail on that and get a 5th Airborne or Trail Air. As I don't think they are that much more. THe Moryde is $695. Here your experience and input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again.
Bob

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bob and Carol,
Congrats on the purchase of your new Big Sky! I hope it offers many miles and years of enjoyment ahead.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Looks like you have taken care of everything. Enjoy!
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:07 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bob, not sure if you want to run the Onan while going down the road. The A/C "quick cools" pretty good after you stop and the amount of propane (I assume that runs on propane?) you will go through while driving down the road will punch a drain hole in your wallet. I could be wrong on this. Others should be along...

Oh, and congrats on your new "painted" Big Sky!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:03 AM   #5
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Congratulations on your new Montana. Hope you have many wonderful adventures with it.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:39 AM   #6
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Congratulations on your new Big Sky. I am sure you will enjoy it. I think you gave several good reasons for getting a generator. The generator was the first option John wanted. We usually stay in a campground, but you never know when you might need a generator. I am anxious to see the painted version.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:08 AM   #7
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I have the generator as we do mostly dry camping. Great to have but you won't want to be running it unless you need to. It goes through LP like poop through a goose. Have a good battery bank and solar to cut down on gen time.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

We pre-cool with our Onan all the time going down the road. We just leave the ACs set where we want and start the generator by remote control about 20-30 minutes before we get there. Full LP fuel time is 13hrs so I don't mind loosing the 30 minutes.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and we hope you have many happy times in it. I do the same as Brad by starting the unit 20 to 30 minutes before stopping for lunch or the camp ground. It sure is nice walking into a unit that is nice and cool inside.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote