Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Sleep Number Bed Installation Questions

We visited a Sleep Number store today and then a regular mattress store. Gonna go with a Sleep Number. So a couple of questions for you folks that have a SN in your Montana.

Plugging the SN bed in: We have an outlet on the wall close to the head of the bed. I'm wondering about positioning of the SN bed pump. Remember I don't have it in front of me, so I'm just speculating.

It says to position the pump at the head of the bed. Okay, we'll be putting it on the bed platform. Do we need to drill a hole in the platform board for the pump to be underneath and then drill another hole in the side of the platform so the cord can come out the side to the outlet?

The outlet is on the interior wall, so I'd just have to remember to unplug it when we bring in the bedroom slide.

If unplugged, does it still retain its inflation?

I know some folks have put an outlet under the bed. That's not within our capabilities, as our electrical expertise doesn't extend that far.

Does it draw voltage (i.e., "run") all the time or just when you are adjusting the comfort level? We have been known to lose power here with storms, etc.; however, we do have a generator. Just don't want any surprises.

Sorry if these are silly questions. It's an investment and we hope to choose wisely. Main thing is hoping it will help DH get a better night's sleep.

Thanks!
Betty

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
We plug ours into the outlet by the bed and unplug it before slide comes in. The pump sits on bed platform. It never seems to run unless we Chanel's settings
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
billc1949
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12196
We have a sleep number in our rig and I did drill a hole in side if the platform and ran the cords thru and up to the mattress. Yes , when unplugged it still retains it's inflation. We purchased ours at Camping World when it was on sale and have not had any problems.
billc1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
TX, we have a http://www.bearbeds.com/rv.asp that we purchased 5 1/2 years ago and is now in our 3rd rv. On all 3 I disconnected the lift rods on the bed, removed the screws from the platform and placed the pump under the head of the bed where it would not interfere with the slide out mechanism. I then drilled holes in the platform for the air tubes and on the sides for the control wires and power cord. Put everything back together and never had a problem. We plug it in next to the closet and just have to remember to unplug when we bring in the slides. The bed retains the air when unplugged but changes with elevation and temperature
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Betty,

We took our SN with us from the S&B when we started our FT journey and would not be without it. We plan on moving it to the new coach when we take delivery in May. We put the pump on the right side near the head and run the plug to the closet. When traveling we unplug. The mattress does not deflate but what we have found over the last 10 years of having the SN is that on occasion if you like to keep it at a particular setting you may need to adjust the bed up or down and back to your number.
Either way you will love the bed as you can adjust to however you feel and it is cool unlike the memory foam beds. I just switched the pillow from a memory foam to a "My Pillow" and love it as well....the pillow stays cool and does not lose it's shape.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Betty,

We took our SN with us from the S&B when we started our FT journey and would not be without it. We plan on moving it to the new coach when we take delivery in May. We put the pump on the right side near the head and run the plug to the closet. When traveling we unplug. The mattress does not deflate but what we have found over the last 10 years of having the SN is that on occasion if you like to keep it at a particular setting you may need to adjust the bed up or down and back to your number.
Either way you will love the bed as you can adjust to however you feel and it is cool unlike the memory foam beds. I just switched the pillow from a memory foam to a "My Pillow" and love it as well....the pillow stays cool and does not lose it's shape.