Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Salmon for Supper

I live within a mile of the best Salmon and Steelhead fishing river in the lower part of BC. The Salmon are running at the moment with 4 species allowable to catch. Pink (4th year very large run, 2 per day) Chum (can keep one per day), Coho (usually smaller run, 4 per day, hatchery only) and Spring (known as King by most Americans, 1 per day over 24")

Took home two nice Pinks yesterday and this nice Spring this morning, the pinks were given to neighbors & friends and some of the spring will be on the barbecue tonight. Ain't life tough.

I refuse to eat farmed Atlantic Salmon, the pens for raising them should be banned anywhere along our coast.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Nice fish Ed. I use to fish them and give them to my parents but now they are gone I don't go up to often.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Nice fish, now you're making me hungry. Been eating Great Lakes Whitefish for the last week, but Salmon can't be beat whether planked or smoked.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote: Some of the spring will be on the barbecue tonight. Ain't life tough.
Oh man ... BBQ'd salmon ... I'm on my way!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Nice fish!
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Nice....our last trip thru Vancouver we had salmon every night different way each night...fav was wild soc eye on a cedar plank.....

Enjoy!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigboomer

Nice....our last trip thru Vancouver we had salmon every night different way each night...fav was wild soc eye on a cedar plank.....

Enjoy!
We are not allowed to keep any Sockeye in the Chilliwack River, the runs were very small throughout the spawning grounds this year and they estimated under 2 million fish had passed the fish counters in the Fraser River. Two years ago there were an estimated 36 million fish, the largest in recent memory, no answers as to why either.

Springs for lovely steaks, Sockeye for smoking, plank cooking and canning, they are my favorite as well. The other 3 pacific salmon species are much lower on the totem pole.

Already looking forward to getting out again tomorrow and getting this one on the barbecue for supper.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Thanks for sharing. Looks like great fun catching and eating. Been a long time since I went salmon fishing.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep good looking Pink(humpy) my man! if you can get them just out of the ocean they are good to eat other wise canning material I LOVE KINGS (Chinook) and Coho(silver) GOOD STUFF!!!! the CHUM for smoking, my family has been in the Fish bis for a long time and I still never get tied of eating them You are right about Farm salmon if you like eating fish that are swimming and living in their own POOP go for it ....not this guy
Old 09-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Nice "phish". BTW, how do you fish them and what do you use. Do people fly fish for them? I fish the West but not THAT far west.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Flymutt

Nice "phish". BTW, how do you fish them and what do you use. Do people fly fish for them? I fish the West but not THAT far west.
The gear used here is as varied as the people who attempt to catch the fish. We are very close to a large metropolitan area, so you can imagine the "sights" you see on the river. Those who fish the river a lot use a 10.5 to 11 ft drift rod with either a level wind or center pin reel.

Bait varies from shrimp imitations to larger flies for those who do fly fish and often they are quite successful. Some use roe, spinners, spoons and spin n glows. I almost exclusively use a small bit of colored wool on a #4 barbless (mandatory) hook tied with a bait loop to hold the wool or roe.

With all five varieties of Pacific Salmon in the river it sometimes is a bit of a challenge to identify them when they are fresh out of the ocean. Jimmy I think you were jerking my line.... that is not a Pink (humpy) on the rocks, it was a Spring about 10 lbs, the black spots on it's tail among other things identify it.

Had finger surgery 6 weeks ago, if I did not have to see the surgeon this morning I would be back out on the river. It is hard avoiding the DW's very large to do list, so I am using brownie points I have been saving up....LOL
Old 09-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
You're right Ed I was Yanking your chain the Pinks are the Rodney Dangerfield of Salmon"they get no respect" Pinks do have spots on the tail but they are bigger spots and they only get to around 3-5 lbs (sometimes bigger) as you know, Sorry Ed could not resist NICE Spring(Chinook) Buddy!!! When I worked on the Prossesers in Dutch Harbor We HATED those Slimy,Skinny straight to the canning plant Pinks
Old 09-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
We had fish tonight also. I agree with you that farmed salmon should not be allowed in the bays and inlets. Put them land based farms. The damage they do is unreal as I witnessed a show on this. Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Found a day to get back out on the river to do some more fishing and what a fantastic day it was.

BigSkyJimmy here are the three fish I brought home, I released 4 others of approximately the same size and gave another one away at the river. So how is your Salmon identifying skills today.

These are hatchery fish, we cannot keep wild ones of this species in this river. We are allowed 4 per day.

Salmon for supper again and a few suppers to come, this time a fish that is much better than the pinks, I even prefer these over Chinooks.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
O.k Ed without seeing the tongue or Gums or how sharp the teeth are They look like COHO (Silver) although the bottom one has a lot of spots for a silver(Coho) but it does happen SOOOOOOO, I'm going with COHO .....Did I PASS Teacher????
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Found a day to get back out on the river to do some more fishing and what a fantastic day it was.

BigSkyJimmy here are the three fish I brought home, I released 4 others of approximately the same size and gave another one away at the river. So how is your Salmon identifying skills today.

These are hatchery fish, we cannot keep wild ones of this species in this river. We are allowed 4 per day.

Salmon for supper again and a few suppers to come, this time a fish that is much better than the pinks, I even prefer these over Chinooks.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
You are the man Jimmy, now if I could find a way to send you a fish I would...

Old 10-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
YEAH!!!!! I still got it Baby!!! those Are nice ones my Man! the one on the bottom of the pic had a lot of spots but I knew it could not be a Sockeye(NO SPOTS) or Chum for sure, me and my wife Love Salmon and eat them all the time My DAD always sends us some he still is in the Biz he works in the Seafood dept at QFC/Fed Meyer/Kroger KEEP ON CATCH'IN my Man!!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

You are the man Jimmy, now if I could find a way to send you a fish I would...