Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Classic Flame Fireplace?

Anyone familiar with the Classic Flame fireplace? DW wants me to put one in the Monty.
The only place to install one in the 3075RL is below the TV. And the TV is installed in the cabinet to the left of the steps into the bedroom. And that cabinet is quite narrow. I can remove the lower cabinet doors to install it. That space leaves an opening 20 3/4" wide. The only fireplace I can find to fit that opening is the one noted above. I could start cutting on the cabinet, but don't really want to do extensive modifications to widen the opening. And not sure a much wider one would look that good if I did.
The fireplace looks nice enough, just never heard of the brand. Best I could find, Dimplex does not have one that narrow.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It sounds with that cabinet size you don't have a lot of choice. The link you provide appears to be a great price of $250 (from $400). That sounds like it's worth a shot for you and seems to have the dimensions you need. A reviewer mentioned a side plug you might have to worry about, but if the opening is 20 3/4" then the inside should be much larger and not a concern.

I like the remote and the onscreen display. My Dimplex does not have either and means we guess a lot and get up to adjust the heat a lot, until we get it right. I hope the display goes away or else don't let it bug you that it takes away from the ambiance.

You'll probably want to dedicate a 15 amp circuit to it (you might need to run power and install a receptacle). The specs show it has comparable BTUs to the Dimplex, and we are happy with our Dimplex in our Rear Living Room and is a good supplement to our propane central heating.

If I really needed a fireplace and had the size limitations you had, for that price I'd give it a shot. Check their warranty and go for it (I hope the shipping is not so bad). Dimplex can't be the only game in town.

btw - they do have a website www.classicflame.com you might visit for more information.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I installed a fireplace in our 3075 when had it. I don't remember the manufacturer's name, it might have been a classic Flame.

I had fluted molding on the sides, plinth blocks at the top, and a 1 1/4" thick mantel. I had to enlarge the opening, remove the bottom shelf and removed the back in the cabinet. The converter was on a dedicated circuit and I changed the plug from a single to a duplex outlet and plugged the heater and converter into it. We never had a problem with converter and heater being on the same circuit.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Don - That is a great looking install. Now I am thinking more about doing some major mods to the cabinet. I had planned on some kind of trim around it, but your pictures really give me some ideas on how to do it.
One question. I am assuming you had to cut out the cabinet at the left side of the fireplace. Was there anything behind the lower left side of the cabinet to be concerned about when you cut it out? There is an area behind there that is blocked in that I can't tell what is behind it without removing some of the paneling.
Art - Yes the display does go away after a few seconds. And when you turn it off, the "flame" fades out slowing over a 2 minute period to simulate the fire dying out.
There is a duplex outlet in the cabinet section just above that is only using one of the outlets. I will try that one first.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I know Simonsrf (Robbie) installed a Dimplex he bought from Lowe's into that same area on his 29nn style rig. He did have to alter the opening a bit, but he was able to do it with the limited tools he has on-board (they are full-timers) and the trim covered everything.

You can PM Robbie (or check his (and Don's) installation at Quartzite) and I am sure he can provide more details. If the Search function was working you could find postings of others who have installed the Dimplex in rigs with the front entertainment center area of the 29nn/30nn series rigs.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Here is a link that I started on the fireplace that I installed in my 3075. I was not all that difficult. Look toward the end of the thread. Footloose posted some photos that I sent him. The second link is the where I purchased the fireplace. It was the 537ur model.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=41410

http://www.electricfireplaces.com/wallmount.htm#Black
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Bill, there was nothing between the cabinet and the exterior wall. The back, bottom and left side all were removed without cutting anything. Our 3075 was a 2006, but I don't think there is any difference in cabinet construction. As Carl said, we will be at Quartzsite, but not with the 3075. It is permanently located at our local dump, a large pine tree fell on about 6 months after I installed the fireplace.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Sorry Bill, I just now noticed that you had posted on the the thread that I started. You obviously want something different.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Don - That is good to know. I may look at getting a wider unit and do it like you did.

Bruce - I looked at pictures of your install back when you posted about it. If you recall, I sent a picture of my '07 3075RL which showed my cabinetry to be considerably different than your '08 3075RL. Mine is the same as shown in Don's picture.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Bill,
For what its worth, a buddy of mine bought the exact same unit you were asking about and put it in his "Jayco" and loves it. I have seen the unit in operation and it is as realistic as any of the other ones out there. It throws a nice amount of heat and is quiet when on.
Jack