Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
More counter cracks

Well, here we go again was cleaning the kitchen sink and saw new cracks on the divider between the sinks. This whole counter/sink unit was replaced in July. After drying everything off after the cleaning I found cracks in the bottom of the large sink. I took pics of them and they are posted here I called Smallwood RV in Jackson TN this morning about the microwave/ convection and again about the sink so it looks like we will kill two birds with one stone. It looks like when this unit was molded there might have been a problem with the catalyst. The cracks are bulging up into the sink area and so far I don't have any leaks. The last time I saw this type of cracking it was because they used a "hot" mix while laying the fiberglass, I was working at a fiberglass canoe factory at the time. I check under the sink with it full and found no leaks (yet) but it is only 6 months old and shouldn't have cracked... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Dave thats called spidering usually caused by Hot water hitting the sink bowl( like pasta water draining in a culinder you know what I mean ). When I got certified for Avanite they mentioned this in the class, and it is best if cold water is ran to help cool the water down before it hits the serface.
solid serfaces have that problem with heat weather hot water or hot electric pans.
I'll see if I can find that in my class papers and post it.

Don

Got it

http://i43.tinypic.com/2hqwcaq.jpg
Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Don, ever since we got this unit I have been filling the sinks with cold water before pouring ANY hot water into them, so I doubt that this was the cause. We actually use the small sink for most of the dish washing and the large for rinsing. These cracks are pretty deep and bulge up, the pictures show a bit of the upward bulge but not much. These are more than crazing and are actually cracks in the material. Spidering and crazing are usually just in the gelcoat layer but these look to be deeper... Dave
Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
OK Dave got ya. after looking at your picture and inlarging it, I did see what you are talking about being convex. sorry I wasn't much help but you have some other usefull information on that page for referance.

Don
Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Dave thats called spidering usually caused by Hot water hitting the sink bowl( like pasta water draining in a culinder you know what I mean ). When I got certified for Avanite they mentioned this in the class, and it is best if cold water is ran to help cool the water down before it hits the serface.
solid serfaces have that problem with heat weather hot water or hot electric pans.
I'll see if I can find that in my class papers and post it.

Don

Got it

http://i43.tinypic.com/2hqwcaq.jpg
Good advise but hard for me. I like to wash and rinse with HOT water. How can I use "COLD" in my sinks and get my desired results.
Cheers,

EDIT=Thanks Mrs. CountryGuy. Speed reading gets me in trouble every time.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
John, read it again, I think they are referring ONLY to boiling water, like from a pot of pasta. Do not believe our hot water heaters get that hot.

I want to know if crawling on the counter tops counts the same as "do not stand".

Don't want to fess up to how many times we had to crawl up there for some reason.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
John,

I figured it was something like that. hmmm, one of those:

"been there, done that" thingys for the Mrs. CG

Old 01-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Skip
Established Member

M.O.C. #7808
Does anyone know of a way to repair these cracks or is the only solution to replace the entire counter top and sinks?
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I am sure that they can be repaired, but since the gelcoat is a spotted pattern it will be almost impossible to match. You can make it watertight but it will probably leave a very ugly patch. I wouldn't have a problem with if the unit was 3 or 4 years old, but is one year old and the sink counter assembly was just replaced for cracks in July. You can sand the heck out of it and fill any open cracks with resin and a glass cloth patch would probably be better but matching the surrounding color would be very difficult... Dave
Old 01-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Your sink problems beat my sink problems. I'll quit complaining about the cracks in my sink and counter. (I will complain about the length of time it's taking to get the countertop replaced.) Your counter/sink cracks are quite obviously a defect, not from something you're done. Glad you included a link to your photos.

We discovered the cracks in our sinks, the divider between the sinks, and in a couple of areas in the countertop before we ever cooked a meal or washed a dish in our rig.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I'm courous about the Corian sinks that are being put into the Keystone trailers, are they a true solid serface sink, or a sprayed on over fiberglass and wood?
I find it hard to believe that the RV industry will put a true solid serface sink on there RV's due to the cost factor and weight, a normal SS sink will run about 3 to 400 dollars each and thats a cheap one, before it has even been glued to the reiforced countertop. the color is all the way through the bowl, in other words you could drill a hole all the way through the sink and it will be of one color and material.
I have seen some counter tops in SOB's that were a solid serface skin over wood which is what a lot of industry is using now due to cost and weight.

I sure hope that they fix your sink for your Monty Dave, if it was mine I would be very mad.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Don,

Good question, all I can tell you is that on the countertop there is a little "Corian" tag imbedded. At least on the units I have seen, which is only a few!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:12 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dave,
bite the bullet and install Silestone!!
John will pay!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 AM   #14
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
The countertops are real corian, but just thinner than that you find in stick house installation which takes some of the weight off. The bathroom vanity appears to be fiberglass that looks like corian. I am not sure about the actual kitchen sink (corian or fiberglass) though I think it would have to be a corian or corian "compatible" in order to fuse to the countertop.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
As posted, the Corian counter tops will have the

Corian Logo

seal embedded in the counter. The newer (2009) Montana's have the Corian counter tops. At least all that I have been in recently.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote