Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Flat Screen TV

I am boing to put a 42" flat screen tv into my 5er. I am leaning on putting it on the base as opposed to the wall mount. What say you.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Mike go here: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30835

It's not a 42" but a 32...I used the existing mount.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:59 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I installed mine but removed the base leaving the pedestal. I opened a hole on the bottom shelf where the TV sat and now the pedestal drops through the hole and it keeps the base stationary. My TV is 1/4 to 1/2 inch too large for the opening so it sits behind the opening. I screwed in a ring on each side and attach a tie down strap to each ring pulling the back of the TV flat against the frame. This keeps the top from flexing and snapping anything.

My last sentence is my concern for mounting the TV by just the base. I do not feel it is strong enough to take the sway and jerks the moving trailer would put on it.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Do I hear/see you guys saying that you can use the bracket if you secure the tv tightly to the wall while in motion. If you use the base, it may be more insecure because of the pivot point having a greater amount of stress on it. My focal point from the tv is about 11'. The picture does not appear to big, however, in a larger room it is hard to say for sure. I have not seen any over 37", most are 26-32". How hard is it to find the frame for the bracket to mount to. I have a model 3575RL. I can swap for my daughters37" - after all, I gave it to her to start with.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
MAMalody, we have a 37" Samsung in our 5er. It works great, however we are sold on Samsung and have a 46" and a 40" in our stick house. I wouldn't go larger than a 40" if you mounting on the side wall. We are or have talked about when we need to change we will go with a 40". Our Samsung now is mounted in such a way that you push a button and it come up out of its storage cabinet. A 40" want fit that space but can be left on the pedestal but then will have to make some way of securing while in transit. Good luck on your choice. The last 5th wheel we had did have the flat screen mounted on the wall and had a swing out arm and was very secure. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote