Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
A nice links page

Free Anti Virus, Firewalls, Spyware, worm removal tools, etc.

http://gur.in/download.htm

327RKS

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I have found you can overload a computer with ADware, Spyware, Wormware etc. Having numerous antivirus programs tend to slow down your computer and may not actually catch the latest virus.

I prefer one of the major AntiVirus programs like McAfee or Norton. I personally use Norton with Live Update and have been very happy with it. You have to keep it up to date which is done daily on my computer automatically. It scans my HD daily also. It has caught several virus problems before they did any damage. I also use Microsoft Update automatically. Now Microsoft has had some problems from time to time but they usually get right on it and have a fix within a couple days. I use Microsoft security and firewall settings and have minimal problems with unwanted popups, spam or advertisements. Probably the most difficult part is learning how to setup Microsoft. It is not simple and there are several places that you need to change settings. I would suggest you get a good book on Microsoft Security and try to understand how powerful it really is.

Farmer Don [MOC 3628]
Barbara & Fuzzy (the Bichon)
2001 3280RL
2004 Ford F250
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, are you using just Norton AntiVirus or are you using their Internet Security that includes AntiVirus, AntiSpam, and a firewall? I have their AntiVirus but a different brand for the other two.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Speaking of links, I was just on the MOC link page and the following links did not work.
aircards, cellphones,internet related, phones, satellitetv. Just thought I would mention it.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB SRW
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:00 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I use Norton Anti-virus and Webroot Spysweeper, and a firewall on my wireless router with WEP encrytion and the MS firewall. In over 2 years of using Firefox exclusively, I have not had a popup ad, any malware, spyware or adware attach to my computer. Of course, I do recommend that you learn how to sweep your computer of temp files and cookies!

Just a recommendation, but did you know that Firefox is free?.....easy to use and has many useful free extensions that I can't live without now?

Peace!
Robbie & Alice Simons
Seattle

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 SWB Laramie (LNRNGR)
2006 2980RL (TONTOW)
Line-X bed liner
Jacobs Exhaust Brake
Prodigy Brake Controller
Hijacker 24-UMS-21 Hitch
Start Fulltiming 10/2006
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote