Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #21
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
I also notice that a lot of campgrounds (even this KOA that we are in) advertise internet, but do not have it updated to advertise the WiFi.

Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #22
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
The campground where we are has just upgraded their wireless system so we can access from home every day. Prior to that, we could sometimes sit at the kitchen table and get on without problems, but usually we had to go to the rec room to have the service. Since this was the first year we came here, it was an exellent way for us to meet the neighbors.

While we are on the road, we stay at KOAs. The only place where there was a charge was at the Lake City KOA in Lake City, Fl. We passed even though it was only $2.00 for the night.

We are looking at getting the PC card from Cingular when we are up north as the CG up there does not have WiFi. $59.95 per month for unlimited access. That is what we paid when we had the stick house.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:55 AM   #23
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I believe Buger King Resturants now have WI-FI at least the one I have been at in Toledo,Oh. and just over the state line in to southeast Michigan have a sign on thier doors promoting it. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:01 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ha Ha... I have got to check that Burger King thing out. Just the other day I noticed that I am picking up a weak Wi Fi signal here at the house on my Lap top and there is a burger king not to far from here. Verrryyy interesting....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #25
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Rich let me know if this something they are doing nationwide or just in some areas. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Glass guy..I see no signs in the Burger king indicating wi fi but I am intermittently picking up a signal from somewhere close by..They could be working on it..I will keep a eye open...maybe both of them///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #27
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
I have an interesting question. I am from Ontario and our ISP is sympatico but they do not cover when we go into the united states. The first time (2 yrs ago) when I purchased my laptop,we were so excited when it said "wi-fi" we figured we had it made. then I tried to get access, and then realized I couldn't get on without my ISP. Our campground in Florida had only a phone jack, it was fun trying to figure out how to get my emails. lol
Does anyone from Ontario or elsewhere know a good service provider I can use in both countries?
I have been suggested juno, and earthlink....and t-mobile, but am not familiar with these. any advise.
thanks, Diane
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #28
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dianne and Dennis, if Earthlink is one of your choices, I can recommend it. I've used Earthlink for several years on our dialup at our stick house and have been very pleased. They seem to be on top of things and offer pretty good support. I use their email program all the time.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #29
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Thanks for the information. I will probably go with earthlink and see how it works for me. I like the idea that they have 24/7 tech line as well.
Diane
Old 04-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #30
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Diane & Dennis;
You don't need an ISP here if your ISP has what is called "web mail". All you need is access to the net thru any public wifi access point as offered by many RV parks, libraries, truck stops, etc. The access points ISP is then your ISP, rented. Never us just any unsecured AP, because your computer is as open [unsecured] to them as theirs is to you. It's also illegal. Web mail is a program offered by most ISP's that allows a customer to access their email thru their browser. You just go to your ISP's home page, click on web mail, which should bring up your home email signin page, then it's just like your email at home. The only downside is you may not be able to download/save the email, just read, reply, make new, or print it. You could also get a Googlemail, Hotmail, Yahoo mail, etc., account, and access it the same way. The only time you may "need" another ISP is if your normal travel finds you in locations that don't have public access, ie. drycamping, long stays in parks that don't offer wifi, or other relatively remote locations.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #31
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
One of the interesting things with Verizon is that they have disabled the ability to use their blue tooth/vcast phones as a modem. However, by searching the net, I have been able to get my e815 motorola connected once. I believe I have a bad cable and hope to replicate it again this weekend. So, if you like Verizon and want Bluetooth capability, do your homework first. I didn't have to hack the seem, like some posts say, but did need to download new drivers and I think hit ##Dialup#.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:47 PM   #32
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I used to be able to use my Audiovox phone as a modem but our computers no longer recognize the phone. I figured it was some of Verizon's handiwork as I had heard that they're trying to discourage this inexpensive way to get on the 'net and encourage the $80.00 aircard usage. The almighty dollar wins again. There are forums that tell you how to get around some of this stuff.

I'm not sure that it's your cable, Rames14. Verizon may have just read that you tried to get on and did you in again. That's how my system acts, like there a cable connection problem.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:08 PM   #33
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
The only time you may "need" another ISP is if your normal travel finds you in locations that don't have public access, ie. drycamping, long stays in parks that don't offer wifi, or other relatively remote locations.

Countryfolks, when I stay in St. Petes Florida, they only offer a plug in to a phone jack so that is why I wanted to see if earthlink would solve my problems. I will need a ISP at this campground I think. I have Yahoo mail and can go to the library for access if I have to . I dont mind that. Thanks, Diane
Old 04-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I went to cancel our dialup isp, highstream, since we haven't done any dialup in 17 months. There I found there is an option to "pause" our account. We cannot do outgoing mail or web sites without reactivating our account. But they tell me we can still receive incoming email. Best of all, since it's paused we'll pay nothing. And when we get to a place where we need to use the service we'll just "unpause" it. No charges to do that. We just then pay for another month's service. I was able to pause it online and could unpause it online if I know in advance I want to do that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #35
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
PocketMail is best known for its hand-held email device, but they also offer a very good dial-up service for a very reasonable rate with lots of local numbers in US and Canada (and around the world I think) as well as a 1-800 number for those places that don't have a local number.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #36
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Thanks, OntMont. I was looking for something that could send pictures back to the kids and grandkids and i dont think I can with Pocketmail. Correct me if I'm wrong. Never heard of the dial-up service for u.s. and canada. that would work. I will look into that. thanks, Do you have a phone number perhaps to register for dial-up. Thanks, Diane
Old 04-22-2006, 03:04 AM   #37
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
In my opinion, anyone who travels, needs a web based email account, like yahoo or hotmail. You can use them from most public libraries, and from your own computer. We connect to the web via AOL and phone lines, free wifi systems from Texas back to Michigan, and from the verizon cell phone connection. Since I only have web based email any more, I can always get the email. I can send photos, documents, attachments, etc. I can also receive photos, etc.

If your home ISP has email address that is fine, but there is no reason to limit yourself, get a yahoo account and send photos till your heart is full!

Al switched over to a web based email this last fall and has never been happier! This way, if you change ISP accounts, or they change your email address (example, direcway is now hughes.net or something), well, your web based email account will still be ME@ YAHOO.COM

I even have seperate email accounts for my research and other stuff. You don't want to know how many I actually have, I have stopped counting!

OHHH, even AOL is accessible via web mail, you can get your AOL mail on the web site.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:06 AM   #38
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I have used MSN for many years. I can pull up my email from any computer anywhere and have done it many times. They have local numbers all over the US and Canada - maybe even the world. I pay $21.95 per month.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:26 AM   #39
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dchafer

Thanks, OntMont. I was looking for something that could send pictures back to the kids and grandkids and i dont think I can with Pocketmail. Correct me if I'm wrong. Never heard of the dial-up service for u.s. and canada. that would work. I will look into that. thanks, Do you have a phone number perhaps to register for dial-up. Thanks, Diane
Well, I went to the PocketMail site to check on this for you, and there was a message there that they have turned over this aspect of their service to www.maglobe.com It is supposed to be the same service, but I have not used it since this change.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #40
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with CountryGuy about having a webmail based account. Many national isp's have webmail available as well as pop3/smtp. Highstream and the paid Yahoo email account are the two with both that we use. We use smtp/pop3 with our email client when we have a connection and webmail at a library when we don't (that's been very rare, though). AOL has both, as well, I think. Probably earthlink and many others, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote