Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2015, 04:10 AM   #21
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

here is what my Montana came with for the flush.

Mine had that same clear plastic antisiphon/vacuum breaker valve. And it cracked and flooded the floor near the valve. Bought an exact replacement from the OEM company. Received it and could see stress cracks all thru it. Sent it back and just plumbed the lines together eliminating the valve.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #22
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Might work Darnell but the biggest problem is that the outlet pipe in the black tank is not at the bottom of the tank but on the end where the tank slopes down. The problem with this is that the pipe is about an inch or more up from the bottom of the tank thus leaving about an inch or more of sludge in the bottom no matter what you do to rinse your tank there is always going to be some of the crud in the bottom that does not wash or rinse out. Dishwasher fluid or powder may take out the grease and oil but it will not break down the solids and that is the important thing in the black tank. As I said earlier I use Calgon and Happy Camper tank additive and those two combined work well for me. The Calgon softens the water and makes the sides of the tank a little more slick so the solids and paper will not stick to them. The Happy Camper breaks down the solids and paper for an easier flush.
How much Calgon do you put in each tank, and are you using liquid or powered Calgon?
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #23
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Google "Geo-method" Interesting reading and helped us to have a cleaner tank.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #24
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Interesting. Thanks for providing. Jim
Old 03-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #25
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Darnell-- We use a capful of Calgon liquid and about a cup of Calgon powder in each tank.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #26
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Darnell-- We use a capful of Calgon liquid and about a cup of Calgon powder in each tank.
Really? The liquid and dry version of the same product at the same time? Why is that?
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #27
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
No Mark! It is one or the other. I use either the liquid and a scoop or two of Happy Camper OR a cup of the powdered Calgon and a couple of scoops of Happy Camper. I usually only use a single scoop of the Happy Camper in the gray tanks but double scoops in the black tank.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #28
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We just spent five winter months parked in a friends back yard with no practical way to flush out the black tank. Every three days we had to transfer the contents of our black tank to one of those totes and haul it off to a dump station. Even with using extra amounts of the black tank liquids some of the odor started to become noticeable. Winter parking is now over and we've moved on to a full hook up site in a campground. We left two days use and some extra liquid in the black tank as we hit the road. The first chore after hookup was to turn on the Sewer Solutions macerator and dump the black tank with the flush working. We left it run for about two hours. The tell tale faint odors are gone with nothing more than the built in flush system that came with our Big Sky.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #29
Linemans2ndHome
Established Member

M.O.C. #17563
We have the built in flushing system in our 2013 3582. We just purchased it a few weeks ago and I have the feeling (from the non working sensor and the continual release of tissue/debris when I drain the black tank) that the previous owner hadnt flushed it out. I had ran the tank full a couple times after each drain by doing so inside holding the toilet lever down but it didn't seem to be helping. Today was my first time using the flushing system and it says on it to never flush with the tank valve closed. After reading this forum I did give it a try with it closed. First 1 minute, then 2 minutes, then again a couple times at 3 minutes of backfilling with it closed. I admit I was pretty nervous that I was going to break something. I did continue to get dark/debris water each time and then just chickened out and ran it for about 15 minutes with the valve open. First question....is it really ok to do with the valve closed???? Second question....when I finally finished my sensor showed empty for the first time since we bought the camper so I added the Calgon and laundry detergent (GEO method) but no bleach and 4 toilet tank fills of water. Now it shows 2/3 full already. Any idea why it would Jumo back up off empty?
Linemans2ndHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #30
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My procedure is to fully drain the black tank. Then I turn on the flush, close the black tank valve, let run for a 2-3 minutes, reopen the black tank valve, drain, and repeat the flush and drain two or three more times until the water runs relatively clear. I also do not like to let it run too long with the valve closed. Will not break anything, but might overfill and run water out the toilet or the toilet vent if you let it run too long. But it would probably take quite a while to fill the tank thru the flush line.

Those sensors are notoriously inaccurate. Could be just from black water splashing up on the sensor when you flush that makes the level jump. I do not pay much attention to the indicator. I just drain and flush the black tank every 3-4 days.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #31
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Take my word for it if you overfill the black tank using the flush it will break the tank, not leak out the toilet or out the vent. I made this mistake and paid dearly for it. I now fill my tank for no more than 4 minutes using the flush system with valve closed. I also thought the tank would not break ef overfilled but was proven wrong!!
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #32
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I use the flush king valve. I dump the tank then fill an flush until the water is clear and solids are gone. Usually 2 or 3 flushes will do. I keep my camper in a storage unit so like to have the tank empty and as clean as possible before I put it away. I also will fill my black tank a little before I use it for the first time after I dump it to try and keep the solids from sticking to the bottom of an empty tank.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:08 AM   #33
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Even with my factory sprayer I use a valve at the exit to close off and allow the clear elbow with hose fitting to backfill the tank for several minutes (just like a Flush King). I do this about 3 or 4 times until it runs mostly clear. I then close the black tank valve and do the galley tank the same way. Then finally, I end it all with the bathroom tank. Takes a long time, but I feel good the tanks are the cleanest they'll be.

Since the drains are the way they are, it's the best I can do with the crappy designs (drain not at the bottom center? Whose stupid idea was that?) Even the fresh water tank has a drain in the middle. Maybe it's because there's too much chance of a clog in the case of the black tank since it could be a few days between draining and clogs would be more prevalent.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote