Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
drillagent
Established Member

M.O.C. #14572
Can't stand sleeping head down

Currently we use a torpedo level in the bottom of the fridge to level our 3750FL. The rest of the rig is pretty much level, but for some reason the bed isn't. It feels like we're sleeping head down. That ain't cool. So without adjusting the slide out, how do I level the bed?

drillagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:03 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Maybe it's the mattress. My sister had a similar problem with a new mattress, only it was slanted to one side so it felt like she was going to roll out of bed. The company she bought it from took it back. You might try turning it around and see what happens.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:25 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Have you checked how level the bed platform is vs. the floor near the steps? I'd do that first, before playing with the slide adjustments (if there are any).
Old 01-07-2015, 04:00 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We found out that not all of the rig cannot be perfectly level. On ours, the area you're talking about doesn't match the bedroom/bath area at all. Since we are bothered by the bedroom area more than anywhere else that's were we set as our level point. That leaves us leveling at -.01 on one side. Been doing it three years now and no problems and we're happy campers. Before we had level-up we just adjusted it until our bathroom door would slowly close on it's own.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:17 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I don't think there is an up down adjustment on the bedroom slide as the slide itself scoots on the raised portion of the bedroom floor. There are but two wheels affixed to the bottom of your bed frame that supports the foot. Leveling to the bottom of the fridge leaves alot of room for error depending on what "Old World Quality" tech installed the fridge. Try out some of the previous suggestions. Although I have a level permanently mounted to the pinbox so I can see where I'm at right out the back window of my truck, I initially set that level to the floor on the main level of the fiver.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:30 AM   #6
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drillagent

Currently we use a torpedo level in the bottom of the fridge to level our 3750FL. The rest of the rig is pretty much level, but for some reason the bed isn't. It feels like we're sleeping head down. That ain't cool. So without adjusting the slide out, how do I level the bed?
You could just turn around and sleep the other way. :-)
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:11 AM   #7
drillagent
Established Member

M.O.C. #14572
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Leveling to the bottom of the fridge leaves alot of room for error depending on what "Old World Quality" tech installed the fridge. Although I have a level permanently mounted to the pinbox so I can see where I'm at right out the back window of my truck, I initially set that level to the floor on the main level of the fiver.
Almost everywhere I look, it says to level the rig to the fridge because the fridge won't work if it isn't level. But what if the fridge isn't level to the rig? I've often felt like the trailer just isn't level, but the fridge is level. This begs the question, how far out of bubble will the fridge still work? Do I have to find a happy medium somewhere?
Old 01-07-2015, 06:17 AM   #8
drillagent
Established Member

M.O.C. #14572
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leemedic
You could just turn around and sleep the other way. :-)

Tried that. HH6 was NOT happy. Therefore nobody was happy.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe the manual for the fridge will tell you what the acceptable difference from exactly level is. Seems to me that I remember a couple of degrees either way is acceptable.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This paragraph is right off the Tetford website "How level must the refrigerator be?
If you have a gas absorption refrigerator, normal leveling of the vehicle is sufficient. The refrigerator is made to operate within 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front-to-back (looking at the front of the refrigerator).
On a 30' trailer this equates to a few inches side to side say frame rail to frame rail and several inches front to back say rear cap to front cap.
It's not that a RV fridge will not work unless perfectly level ... it just won't work as well. What you do need to be aware of is what can happen to the solution in the fridge coils. Extended running of your fridge at or past manuf limits causes the sodium chromate mixed in with water and amonia to crystallize for no better word and ruin the cooling unit of the fridge. This won't happen instantly, but over a period of time.
Bottom line ... get it close to level and don't fret over exactness. You'll not find 4 spots on your fiver that hold the same degree of level ... Ha! I and several others have used the main floor as level for many years with no issue refrigeration wise.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
We have used swim noodles under the mattress at the head of the bed. This gives the mattress a gradual incline of 2-2 1/2 inches.
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As Dieselguy said, years ago the friges were very temperamental no so much today. At a recent Rally we ask the Norcold rep about it and basically he said if we were comfortable with it the frig would be ok with it also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:54 AM   #13
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Consider this and then give it a try. We all roll into a spot and then level side to side, unhook then level from to back and then lower the rear stabilizers, ( those of us that don’t have the newer 6 point level system) and then put the slides out.

On my rig, after the slides go out, I do have to lower the patio side stabilizer a little to tighten it up. I have found over time, that even though I am level before the slides go out,
check the level again after they are out and I am off a bit, lower on the drivers side.

Just like mine, yours has three slides on the driver’s side. When they go out, even thought
the stabilizers are down it tilts down on that side. So when I level the rig, I put the driver’s side up a little off level and when the slides come out, its level.

You would have to try different size heights in boards to get the right match up.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
jmell44
Established Member

M.O.C. #15942
I like sleeping with my head higher anyway so I purchased a wedge pillow from Amazon with a 5" rise. It's like sleeping with double pillows except you have the gradual rise so your head isn't at some drastic angle.
jmell44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #15
drillagent
Established Member

M.O.C. #14572
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

Have you checked how level the bed platform is vs. the floor near the steps? I'd do that first, before playing with the slide adjustments (if there are any).
Well, this seems to be the issue. Based on all the advice I received here, I finally went to the storage lot and used the level on other parts of the rig. Turns out the frig is pretty level with the rest of the trailer. So if the frig is level, the trailer is level. Then I took the mattress off the bed platform and put the level on the platform. Wow! The platform is a quarter bubble off the rest of the trailer! I even checked the bedroom floor and the little shelf next to the bed. They're both as level as the rest of the trailer. Guess we'll be getting some wedges or swimming noodles.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #16
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We had the same problem with the rig totally level. Head of bed plywood was lower than the foot. We unscrewed the plywood and built tapered shim rails (1 1/2 inch wide from 2 x 4 material) from head to foot to raise the head of the bed approximately 1 3/4 inches.
Works great now with bed being level to a bit higher at the head.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote