Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
A couple of boondocking at Q-site questions

Ok I am totally new at this boondocking thing and have a couple of questions before we leave so I know what I need.

#1 When using a generator to recharge your coach battery's do you just hook up the coachs power cord to the generator or is it faster to use a regular battery charger?

#2 Since this is off road what happens if it does rain? Can a 2wd dually get around. I know they are not the greatest in navigating slippey or mucky roads.

#3 I know I can last almost a week on the black tank but how long does it take to fill your gray tank? It is very hard to judge the gray since our gauges work so well??? I have never had to fill mine. The longest I have gone is 2 days of shower worths. And once you call the honey wagons, how long does it take them to come out? I know it is hard to judge since everyone uses water differently but just a rough guess so I know what I am in for.

Sorry bout all the questions but I am not a big fan of boondocking lol lol... I like to look at my Montana as my Uptown, Riverside, Ocean Front, Mountain Top Condo...
But thanks in advance and hope to learn more as I go....

Oh yeah, more questions to follow....

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

Ok I am totally new at this boondocking thing and have a couple of questions before we leave so I know what I need.

#1 When using a generator to recharge your coach battery's do you just hook up the coachs power cord to the generator or is it faster to use a regular battery charger?
I assume your 2006 3000RK has the original IOTA converter. It delivers around 55 Amps at 13.6V (or so). Better would be to add the optional IQ4 Smart Charger for about $30. This makes the converter into a true four stage battery charger. I used to have that configuration and it only required 2-3 hours to bring the batteries back up to 90%. I imagine without the IQ4 you might need 4 hours to get to the same level.

A battery charger is likely a multi-stage one but probably doesn't match the Amp power of the converter. I would lean towards the generator to the house power and converter to charge the batteries. That way you can use the extra 120V power to do meaningful things (TV, ice maker, hair dryer, etc...)

Quote:
quote:
#2 Since this is off road what happens if it does rain? Can a 2wd dually get around. I know they are not the greatest in navigating slippey or mucky roads.
Rain is fairly uncommon in Q. But it does happen. Most of the area we camp in has a rock surface. As long as you avoid any sandy spots (few and infrequent) it is the same as being on pavement. I had a 2WD the first seven years I camped there and never had a problem (and yes it rained!).

Quote:
quote:
#3 I know I can last almost a week on the black tank but how long does it take to fill your gray tank? It is very hard to judge the gray since our gauges work so well??? I have never had to fill mine. The longest I have gone is 2 days of shower worths. And once you call the honey wagons, how long does it take them to come out? I know it is hard to judge since everyone uses water differently but just a rough guess so I know what I am in for.
How long the shower tank will last really depends on you. Navy showers are best to maximize the time before filling. While some here brag they can shower in one gallon, a more realistic number is 3-4 gallons. You have a 38 gallon tank so you can do the math. One trick is to get a twist-on gate valve and attach it to the sewer outlet. Keep it CLOSED but open the grey and galley tank handles. This will allow the two tanks to share the total space. If you use a dishpan for washing dishes you are allowed to dispose of the sink water outside. Even if you don't, equalizing the two tanks significantly increases the shower water storage space.

The pumper truck usually will come the next day after you call. Once a week seems to be the average frequency for most of us.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steelpony5555,
To answer some of your questions.... or at least MY experience with your questions:

1. We simply hook up the generator directly to our rig. That gives us 110 while it is running plus it is charging our batteries. And most everyone does it the same way. I believe directly charging your batteries would be a bit faster but a bit more trouble. We just let the generator charge the batteries via the converter.

2. Most years rain is not even close to being a concern. But it does rain. We had a monsoon attack a few years back. Must have rained at least an inch or two. Most of the rain was sideways but eventually it hit the ground. Within a few hours it was hard to tell it had rained except in some of the runoff channels. Those you do need to avoid. Any standing water can be a problem. Fortunately there is very little to worry about. And if you do have a problem you will have a ton of friends ready to help you out. We park in an area that has an almost smooth rock surface. First time I saw it I actually thought it had been graded to make things easier for all us newbie boondockers!

3. We can get 7 to 10 days very easily with the black tank. The gray tanks are a bit more of a problem as you point out. In our case we work very hard to limit the amount that goes into the gray tanks. Lots of little things you can do to limit the amount of water. They will come automatically as you start living in the boondock style.

4. As to how quickly the Honey Wagon gets around to you depends on which service and how many other folks catch him in between where he is and where you are. But generally they like big groups (which we are) and will give us first priority. Maybe a couple of hours is sort of standard. But all of this is a very fluid process!
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Last year was our first at the Q and had never boon docked before. It was an adventure and we learned a lot. The best part is that there are a bunch of very helpful folks (such as Carl and Dennis) in the circle that can answer all of your questions. We really enjoyed learning and adjusting to being off the grid so to speak. We didn't miss a thing including having HD for the football games, etc. Bottom line is that we had great fun...anything you'll need or want is there at Quartzsite. We're hooked and are anxious to go again this January!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:39 AM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We experienced a torrential rain in Q a few years back. I'm talking 2-3" of standing water everywhere. It was gone by morning. As reported above, as long as you avoid the sandy washes you're fine.

For bathing, we have found the adult washcloths sold in pharmacies with the incontinence supplies to be great for washing between showers. No water needed at all. if you are frugal and use restroom facilities while you're out and about, you can go two weeks without dumping. There is a good laundry in town,and they have very clean showers.

When we used our generator, we would just hook it up in the morning while we were having breakfast, etc. and it recharged the batteries for the next night's furnace use. Now that we have solar, we haven't used the generator for years. I'm really a fan of solar power, and there are places in Quartzsite that can fix you up.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
Interesting about opening both grey water tank valves, had not thought of that. I'm wondering if there are many that use the method and how it works.

Also, does anyone fill grey water from the dump into gallon jugs to use as a toilet flush? Use one of the end caps with a hose connection, on/off valve to fill the gallon jogs?

Thanks. Scott
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jswharton

Interesting about opening both grey water tank valves, had not thought of that. I'm wondering if there are many that use the method and how it works.
I suggested that trick to steelpony5555 since he has a 2006 Montana where all the tanks are on the same level. Those with the newer drop-frame (such as you) probably don't want to try it. You galley tank sits much higher than the shower tank. I would be afraid of the stress on the shower tank when it filled first as the galley will drain into it. But most of the repeat campers at Q with non-drop frames use the gate valve to equalize tanks.

Quote:
quote:
Also, does anyone fill grey water from the dump into gallon jugs to use as a toilet flush? Use one of the end caps with a hose connection, on/off valve to fill the gallon jogs?
I haven't heard of doing that but I wouldn't be surprised if some do that. Many of us save the water, will waiting for the hot water, from the shower in a bucket to use in the toilet.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Thanks for all the replies, I was just wanting to get a jump on this thing before we left. I am sure I will have plenty of questions once we get there. I was just hoping we could make it close to a week before having to call the "honey wagon". I had thought of opening both gray valves to run excess up to the galley tank. I already have a gate valve on the end of my dump so that would work fine.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
carl x2 especially on the gate valve so galley and grey fill together and double capacity

are you planning for the ralley or more, at the ralley things happen

i also have a wizzard in the converter

also solar with inverter, and you didn't mention inverter so your only 110 would be when your gen is running

mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yeah I'm probably gonna buy a small inverter before then. I do have 2 batteries but I figured even with just 2 I can run a coffee pot or laptop for a short time. And yeah I am just doing Quartzsite for now and see how this boondocking pans out.....
Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120

Just an added note to this discussion.

Learn and know your tank capacities. Not everyone uses the available volume of the tanks the same.

While in a full-hook-up site, leave your tanks closed, measure the time it takes to fill them up......and then, see if you can conserve and increase the time.

ie: The black tank is about 40 gallons....and it burps when full. If one person used the black tank, and used 5 gallons per day, you could go 8 days. If two people use the black tank at the same rate, then you could go 4 days....but, think about how big a 5-gallon bucket is.....doubt anyone is capable of filling one of those in a day.

With a 40 gallon tank, we (2 people) can easily go 14 days, by conserving without any inconvenience.

Fill up the fresh water tank, and measure how long you can go on what you can carry. Nice to be in a RV park and easily be able dump the tank and be able to fill it right back up....knowing your capacities takes a big part of the worry out of boondocking.

Boondocking does not have to be uncomfortable, it just requires a bit of math, a bit of conservatism, planning, and an open mind to new ideas from those who have the experience.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #12
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
For those worried about running the generator at 6 AM for coffee or having an inverter and running down their batteries there is an old item we we use for years, it is called a stove top coffee pot. Works on propane and reqires no electricity.
Good luck with your and know there are people at Quartzite that will help you with about any problem.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #13
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
LOL LOL yeah I still got one of those, gonna have to dust it off lol lol. Anonther trick I have done was boil water on the stove and then pour it thru the drip coffee maker lol.....Just trying to get a handle on this thing before I leave....In my past I have lived in the woods with a backpack and a tent but I ain't done that in a long time.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We too have a stove top percolator. Works great when we have no power
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Common sense would tell you to not use any heating device if you're trying to conserve your battery power.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote