Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Sooo Hot!

We are in Myrtle Beach and it is sooo hot that during the day, with air constantly running, can't get the 5'ver under 77 degrees inside. Also, the fridge keeps running up to around 50 - 53 degrees. Any ideas on getting fridge temp down? I added a fan blowing outside on the back of the fridge, but still running warm.

chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Make sure the sliding fin on the coils at the back of the fridge is up as far as it will go if you have that type of fridge. Just thinking out loud, but would keeping some ice in the fridge possible help, or maybe those frozen blue packs used in coolers?? Just a thought.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have always used a small, battery operated, fridge fan inside the unit to circulate the air. This might help somewhat. I would say go north, but it looks like that won't help much this summer, unless you go waaaaaaaayyyyyy north, like Canada maybe....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Steve, all I can say is come to Washington State! High tomorrow 69 degrees and a chance of rain. Looks like we might get to 78 by Sunday!!!!
But from NC it might be to far to drive. I feel for you folks sweating it out in the Midwest and eastern states.

Edit: did you ever thing about getting a small electric fridge from Target when it is that hot. I do not know if they would cool better or not.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I see from your photos that you have children, are they frequently opening the door? One of the best additions I have made is an ice maker/ drinks and ice remaining outside frig. means less door opening. Also try running it on gas for a while, they seem to cool better on gas sometimes. Also check the flu pipe for obstruction, such as spider webb or dirt dobbers nest. Good luck. Check out Ozz's mod on vents for A/C. We open dump doors on both A/Cs for quick cool down and then close them and stay very comfortable. Run fans on high not on auto, keeps air circulating. Good luck!!!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
During the day close the bedroom door and open the quick cool. We did that on the other unit we had. Then at night after the sun goes down put it back to normal.
Enough will still go through the ducts to half cool the bedroom.
Just a thought to help.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:57 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Can you move to some shade, or let out awning for shade? Try to face the refrigerator side of the camper toward the east away from the heat of the sun?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Steve this was our park for weekends for a lot of yrs. If you are down in the lower part I know there is no shade. it is a great park though. first I always put the ac fan on high speed early in the am and let it run all day I will set it back to auto at night and I set the t-stat at 74 in the morning it ain't gonna get colder no matter how low you set it. As for the fridge when I put the new unit on mine I installed "two" new fans in the back to pull heat out of it. ck and make sure the fan is running up at the top of the cooling unit its easy to ck. Just some thoughts also enjoy the beach!!!! ck and see if the captains plank is open at cherry grove to eat.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Go down passed Apache, turn right at light. About 1/2 mile on right is Bimini Bar, best seafood at MB to us. Check it out.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Thanks for the ideas. My OEM fan was not working. That is why I put a new 12v one at the top of the unit outside and control it with a switch to keep air circulating. I have one of the battery operated fans inside the fridge (have always used one). We don't let the kids go in and out of the fridge, an adult only job. And Bobby, you are right, 74 is as low as it will get during the day. Ain't no shade down here during the day and the park is full. Haven't tried running on gas yet or brought a small fridge (tried to one time just to keep my canned refreshments cold, but wife says that I carry too much junk so that is out). May have to take it in for service and see what they say. Thanks to everyone.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Rode up to Calabash, NC for dinner tonight. Went to Ella's Seafood. Must say that it was some of the best seafood that I have ever eaten. And I have eaten a bunch, lol. Price was good too, compared to most of the places down here. Deluxe Seafood platter (flounder, shrimp, oysters, scallops and deviled crab) was $15. And I brought home enough for lunch tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #12
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by chieflawdawg

Rode up to Calabash, NC for dinner tonight. Went to Ella's Seafood. Must say that it was some of the best seafood that I have ever eaten. And I have eaten a bunch, lol. Price was good too, compared to most of the places down here. Deluxe Seafood platter (flounder, shrimp, oysters, scallops and deviled crab) was $15. And I brought home enough for lunch tomorrow.
Love Miss Ella's seafood, great choice. Bimini is so close and food excellent. Prices better than any others we've found on the beach.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #13
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:

Love Miss Ella's seafood, great choice. Bimini is so close and food excellent. Prices better than any others we've found on the beach.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
chieflawdawg,
I was in Myrtle Beach from July 18 thru July 22. Hotter than h*&&! I just wired a 2nd AC unit in the bedroom before this trip. Boy, am I glad. My 3670RL cooled down to 74 degrees (that is what I had it set at) and it shut down quite a lot. After reviewing the wiring in the main panel, I ran the concealed wire and put the breaker in myself. The dealership told me they wanted $2300 for the 13.5 unit and the EXPOSED wiring. I fished the wire and had the unit installed for about $900. The BEST MOVE I EVER DID!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:

I love Miss Ella's also. Just thought you might not know about Bimini. Good food, good price, real close by.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #16
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Myrtle Beach is in SC (Not NC) and the heat here combined with the humidity off the ocean has caused some campers to go to three A/Cs. I have been seeing more and more lately. Two will barely do it, but if you turn on the stove during the hot part of the day you're cooked! I have been considering adding a third myself. When I want it 70 degrees I want it 70 degrees!!!
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
The extreme humidity is the cause for the fridge struggles as well. I have to run mine on 9 at the beach and 6 or 7 will do it anywhere else regardless of hot weather. My A/C drips could fill a 5 gallon bucket in 10 minutes at Ocean Lakes in the Summer.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote