Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
kjwright

M.O.C. #9030
Drivers side Slides creep out. all 3 of them

I have been experiencing the slides creeping out while moving down the road and also sometimes during storage. I tried blocking the bed with a wedge and that seems to keep all the slides from creeping out. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so what needs to be done to repair this ????? This is a 2008 3400 RL model.

Bewildered in South Dakota

kjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
What year is your unit? I have a 2005 that the large slide was creeping. The first time back to the dealer, they determined that it was the ram leaking internally. They replaced the ram and all was well for about a year. The second time, the same thing was happening and they replaced the hydraulic pump. That fixed it permanently.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
kjwright

M.O.C. #9030
John:

Thank you very much for the information. I have had very little help from the dealer in regard to this problem.
Did you try anything to stop the creeping before taking it to the dealer?? Again, thankyou for the reply
Old 07-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
kjwright,

Some of us here have experienced this problem. Ours was a bad manifold on the pump that would not hold pressure. All four of our slides would creep out after about 2-4 hours of travel. Also, after retracting the slides and standing outside of the rig, after about 10 minutes or so we could hear "popping/creaking" noises which was pressure being released from hydraulic system.

You can also try this test; when you retract the slides mark your fluid level on the hydraulic reservoir and then check it again after an hour or two to see if the level has changed. If so this is an indication the system is not holding pressure. If you have manual shutoff valves for the slides, you can turn them to the closed position after retracting the slides and the slides should not move during travel. Hope this gives you some ideas for trouble shooting before talking to your dealer.

Others may be along soon to give you more insight.
r,
Jack
Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
kjwright

M.O.C. #9030
Jack:
Thank you very much. I will check the unit that way. I seem to remember hearing some noise after retracting the slides. Thank you for these tips. This is really great information.

kjwright
Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kjwright, these slides move based on least resistance. The bedroom slide is the lightest and moves first. So it makes sense that blocking the bed kept all slides from moving in this case. I'd not thought of that but will remember this in case we have the problem someday and need to do some travel before having an opportunity to fix the problem.

Hopefully you can locate a leak and fix it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote