Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived - Forum Information and Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Please use URL's (Problem Solved)

With Windows 7 Pro set up as 64-bit, I am unable to click on a statement that substitutes for a URL. I'm missing out. If the URL is there, I can then paste it into my 32-bit browser. I've checked my security settings. Aaaach, just hate Windows 7! Also still can't subscribe to items or preview -- get error on page.
Sharon

footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have been using W7 for a year now and have absolutely no problems!!! It is so much better than anything previously offered by Microsoft. As for using this forum, which browser are you using? Additionally, what security system do you have? I seem to recall you had an earlier problem with your security system not allowing pop-ups?

I have used Internet Explorer (IE), FireFox (FF), and Chrome at different times to accesss the MOC. Any of them on W7 can interpret the text covered URLs. I also just Subscribed and Unsubscribed to this Topic without a problem. The Subscribe/Unsubscribe function does use a pop-up window. Depending on your browser setting, clicking on a URL may also open a new window.

I believe you have a security setting problem.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I also use Windows 7 and have never experienced any trouble clicking on a hyperlink (URL) and going to the site.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
I installed Windows 7 as 64-bit rather than 32-bit. I think that is where my problem is. I'm using Windows Internet Explorer 8 for my browser. I am using Norton Internet Security. One of our sons installed his Windows 7 as 32-bit and doesn't have the problems I have. If you have any suggestions, they would gratefully be received.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Make sure you aren't using the 64-bit version of Explorer, there are known problems with that. There should be a 32-bit version available to run, and we have several computers that are using it. Another possibility would be to use Firefox or Chrome (which has a pretty good reputation).

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have W7 installed in 64-bit mode as does almost everyone who gets it pre-installed. I really doubt that is the problem.

Can you describe the problems a little more? What happens when you click on the text covered url? Does the translated URL appear in the lower left corner of the browser window?

What error message do you receive when you attempt to Subscribe?

I am not familiar with Preview? What function are you referring to? What error message do you receive?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Carl, I like your picture.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I agree that it is not the 64-bit Windows 7 that is the problem. Because that's what I have and it works fine. I'm not sure about the Internet Explorer 64-bit. I use Mozilla most of the time.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Originally posted by Carl n Susan:
Can you describe the problems a little more? What happens when you click on the text covered url?
Nothing happens. And, no other window is opened.

Does the translated URL appear in the lower left corner of the browser window?
No.

What error message do you receive when you attempt to Subscribe?
Error on page

I am not familiar with Preview. What function are you referring to? What error message do you receive?
When I am responding to a quote as I am now, there is a function where you can preview what your response will look like. I will not be able to preview this. I will get "Error on page." If it doesn't turn out right, I will have to edit.

I'm sure there must be something I am doing wrong. I just can't figure out what.
Thank you for responding.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
What security programs do you run on your computer. I would look in that area. Something is preventing the web pages from opening.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
I am using Norton Internet Security. I think you are probably right, John. But I don't know what I should do to check. We have the same (Norton Internet Security) on our XP desktop and there are no problems whatsoever.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
I see my 1st response where I got a Server error actually posted. I tried to delete it, and got the dreaded "Error on page." Sorry for duplication.

** Duplicate posting above deleted for you. - CRAFT-Guy **
Old 11-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Given that you have "Page Error" problems, it indicates IE is not happy with what it is seeing. Rightly or wrongly, that is an IE error message.

Have you tried a different browser? I strongly recommend FireFox. It is easy to install (and subsequently remove) and will provide a different browser tool to determine if you have an IE or security system problem.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #14
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Would I need to remove Internet Explorer 8 to install Firefox?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #15
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
OK, found out I can run both. I will be experimenting and report back.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:00 AM   #16
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I installed Firefox, and so far my problems are all fixed. I am already liking Firefox a lot. It seems so much faster than IE8. Another success for MOC!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Darn! And I was just going to answer.

You will like Firefox and I believe more so than that cumbersome IE.

Now, why would you install a newer, more robust edition of Windows 7 in 32 bit mode instead of 64 bit mode? You could have just stayed with Windows XP, or the old Windows 95. With Win 7 and 64 bit mode, if you have a program that will not run you can choose the older "run in this mode" (Forgot what the exact words are) setting.

I also run Windows 7 in 64 bit mode and I have not had one ounce of problems, and I run Norton's Internet Security. I strongly think that the problem lies in the security settings that you had set up in IE. Most likely in the pop-up blockers.

Well, glad you are up and running good again.

Edited: Oh! Firefox has some wonderful "Add Ons." Click on Tools:
Check on:
1 Password
Adblock Plus
Answers
CoolPreviews
CoolIris
Download Statusbar
Download Helper
PDF Download

And a bunch of others.

Good luck.

Double Edit:
And, if you like the price of Firefox, check OpenOffice.org and download Open Office. It does basically all that Microsoft Office does and it cost as much as Firefox, $0.

Triple Edit: (Darn)
And look at Thunderbird email client. It's also free.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #18
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Thanks Wayne. Like you, why would I have a 64-bit computer and not take advantage of it??? I'm sure you're right about the settings (somewhere) in Norton, but couldn't find them. But, now all is well. And, I'm liking Firefox. Thanks for the info re add-ons. I've already been looking at them and have been downloading some. We upgraded to Win 7 Pro thinking that might help, but it didn't. It did help for a few "old" software programs that aren't compatible with Win 7 that I just didn't want to give up. I'm running those in XP-Mode. Like a dog with a bone, I didn't want to give up and run MOC in XP-mode. And I didn't want to run to his computer everytime either. I have a new laptop, I want to use it. Now life is good! Again, thanks all.
Sharon
Old 11-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Waynem, great recommendation on the OpenOffice idea but beware of the download! If the download screens ask for any money, it's not the place you want to get it! Go find another because it's FREE. Even registration is optional! It might not seem like it, but it is!!! I think Waynem's openoffice.org is the right one (note the .org not-for-profit suffix)

OpenOffice was created on behalf of Sun Microsystems (a very large computer company/competitor of Microsoft). In short Sun and Microsoft created a partnership to help Microsoft create Internet access and as an early effort for competitors to work together on something major. Microsoft did not follow the contract (gee no surprise, those sneaks) and they were found out by Sun engineers. Sun successfully sued Microsoft and part of the settlement was that Sun successfully forced Microsoft to offer a free (but now older) version of Microsoft Office Applications as restitution for using Sun's proprietary property incorrectly. So Sun stuck it to them and requested that Microsoft provide us customers a perfectly good version of Microsoft Office applications for FREE. Sun is so big, they even provide updates for it for FREE!

When buying a new computer DO NOT purchase any part of Microsoft Office unless you don't mind giving your money away to a company who then gives that money away to charities so they look like good guys and you do not get any credit for it. The versions are too close to make a difference. Sure, Microsoft has tried very hard to come up with so many features on newer versions of Microsoft Office, but for us typical users, who cares. The OpenOffice versions work just fine.

Since I retired in early 2006 the last 12-15 computers and laptops I've prepared for myself, family and friends have not needed the very expensive versions of Microsoft Office and they can open PowerPoint presentations, Word documents, Excel spreadsheets by using the free versions of OpenOffice with no issues so far. YEAH BABY!!! They have all been surprised by how seemless it was. For some reason Microsoft has been trying to keep this quiet, ya think?

Consider the cat is now out of the bag and screaming it's crazy fool head off! FYI - I currently run OpenOffice 3.2. The last time I did this was about a month ago for DW's new laptop.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote