Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
bobneal
Established Member

M.O.C. #5308
2010 on the way in

Finally bit the bullet and traded my 06 2955RL for a new 3150RL Hickory Edition with fireplace, vacuum and gelcoat. I should take possession the middle of December (it's a Christmas present to us) and I was wondering what problems I should be looking for in these models. Those of you who have the 09 and 10 models, what problems have you experienced? I noticed there have been tire issues on the Big Sky.

Thanks,
Bob

bobneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
No major problems. Screws fell out of the overhead light/fan,twice. Suspension U-bolts not torqued properly.Enjoy your new rig.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
bobneal, Congratz on you new Condo on wheels. I know others who have the Hickory Edition will give you some ideas of the problem if any that they have had. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Only issue i had with mine is the antenna crank inside. Somehow it broke off. Also, when you lower the front landing legs, make sure you push the pin all the way through and not rely on the spring loaded thing. I bent one side and now its a pain to lower. I've only used mine once so far, so all it well.
dmaxmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
I have the 2010 3400RL Hickory Edition and we have had very few problems in the 5 times we've had it out.

The screen door was slightly out of alignment but I was able to fix that myself by adjusting the screws on the hinge.

The screws that hold the bottom frame of the shower door were just regular sheet metal screws and they were rusty almost immediately. I replaced them with annodized screws after cleaning the rust out.

Other than that, nothing was wrong or installed improperly. The vacuum works well and the small spinning suction head we had on an older vacuum for the house fit perfectly. Without something to spin against the carpet you will not get all the dirt out with suction alone. I think you can buy one as an accessory if you look at the paperwork that comes with the vacuum.

The fireplace is great. Puts out enough heat to warm the entire trailer at about 45º outside. I think if it got down below that we would either need another small electric heater or turn on the furnace. The "flames" are very nice at night while watching TV. The flame speed and the light level of the "fire" are both adjustable.

The gelcoat? It's shiny.

One other thing. If you get a 2nd A/C in the bedroom you might not be able to fit a Wingman digital add-on to the TV antenna due to space restrictions on the roof.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Probably the worst thing you will notice is the decreased bank account!

But since someone mentioned Gelcoat, I'm going to digress for a minute. When we ordered our trailer, the salesperson (see how political correct I am!) told us that Gelcoat would add between 500 and 600 pounds to the weight. Henceforth, we didn't get it, but I wonder if that figure is real or one of those numbers pulled from you know where?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Someone with the Hickory edition mentioned that the wood was cracking and splitting. Not sure who that was but perhaps they will see this and answer. Don't know if the wood needs an oil penetrant or not. Other than that, I am envious. When I first saw the Hickory Edition at the Fall Rally in '08 I really took a close look at trading, BUT, too much invested in this one to go for the eye candy....In other words, would not fit into our ten year plan.......Enjoy it! Maybe if we get to a rally together, you would be kind enough to let me look inside????????? That should last me for awhile...... Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
If the Hickory is cracking it is probable because it was not dried properly before used. I have had Hickory cabinets in my house for 20 years and no cracking. I cut some Hickory trees from my property and had them sawed into planks that I let dry naturaly then used the wood to trim out the house. Yes it did crack on the ends but you just saw them off, plane,stain, drill holes for nails as it is very hard and put up. Looks very nice.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

When I first saw the Hickory Edition at the Fall Rally in '08 I really took a close look at trading, BUT, too much invested in this one to go for the eye candy....In other words, would not fit into our ten year plan.......Enjoy it! Maybe if we get to a rally together, you would be kind enough to let me look inside????????? That should last me for awhile...... Phil
C'mon up to Tyler SP over Thanksgiving weekend and you can walk all around in mine. We may even give you a turkey sandwich.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We got our hickory edition 3455SA the first weekend of May 09, came in as a 2010 model. We haven't had any problems with the cabinets, although both the fireplace and micro-wave have bit the dust and are being replaced at present date. We do not blame anyone for these defects as they are used industry wide.
We have really enjoyed our new Montana and will be spending the winter in the south in it.
Enjoy your new 3150RL, they are all very nice units!
Tom S., I would be looking for another salesperson. The gel-coat is under 200 lbs added to the weight of the unit and each unit is weighed at the factory with it's own weight sticker attached.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Thanks Steve. I wondered about it at the time, but I didn't know squat about it and took them at their word.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Tom S., we believed the salesman on our 3255, our first one, but found out about the weight and ordered the gel-coat on our next two Montanas. Love the shine!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Congratulations on your "Christmas" present. You will love it We have had ours since April 09 and have 5200 miles on it. The only major issue that we have had is a suspension problem which I think is more related to our floor plan and the weight of the rig being heavier on one side than the other. That problem has been fixed and was covered under warranty.

We have not had any problems with cabinets and the other problems we have had have been minor and covered under warranty or easily fixed at home.
Jack
Old 11-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
wward208
Established Member

M.O.C. #9347
We took delivery on the 2010 model 3150 in June this year. Both of us absolutely like everything about it. Only problems we have had was that the fireplace would only run about a minute then cut off. Called Dimplex and they immediately shipped the parts. Seems like there was a known problem with overheating so they knew exactly what to ship. Dispatched a repairman from 120 miles away for the repair. Other problem was a squeaky floor in kitchen, since I was 450 miles from dealer I bought me some wooden shims and a small piece of shim in two places underneath kitchen cabinet fixed problem. My unit came with Goodyear Marathon which I am afraid will give me problems later. Unit has been towed 2000 miles with no problems yet. Good luck with your new rig and I am sure you will like it as well as like ours.
wward208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The weight of the high gloss gel coat was a issue a couple of years ago and the reason I did not order it. It was thought that the high gloss added 600lbs to the weight of the unit..That was not true. When I finally found someone at Keystone who actually knew the numbers we found that the high gloss added 150/200lbs to the overall weight depending on the model. The same was true about the weight of the dual pane windows.They also add about 150/200lbs to the overall weight....not 600lbs. The 600lbs number was what the siding weighed with the high gloss.The difference was 150/200lbs. Had we known we would have ordered the high gloss.... At the time I was unwilling to add @ 1200lbs to the weight of the 3400 when in reality the added weight was @ 300/400lbs... You live and learn....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Congratulations on your new Montana. You will love it iam sure this is our second one and we have enjoyed them both. so again were glad to have you in the MOC ......
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #17
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
on the gel coat and weight, call keystone. i'm finding out that salespeople don't ask the right questions or know what they are talking about when they do answer questions.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote