Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
lynn

M.O.C. #8030
Local channels on Dish Network

Is it possible to get local channels on Dish Network without calling as they say you can do with Direct TV? I'm told with Direct you can change to new locals after a move by using only the remote control.

lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Call Dish Network to confirm, but my friend who sets up both Dish and Directv told me that you cannot change local channels with Dish. I simply call Directv with a new zip code and get the local channels wherever I am. Also when I signed up last Oct local channels were free with Directv while Dish cost $5.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We use Dish, and get our local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) through All American Direct.

Here is the contact information.

Work: 800 909-9677
Other: allamericandirect.com

Work Address:
7999 Knue Road, Suite 200
Indianapolis, Indiana 46250

Entry Date: 3/07
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Robbie,
Wouldn't the companies you listed be the Distant Network channels and NOT the locals? We get the DNS stations same as you but in addition we get our actual local channels out of Bakersfield. We currently are out of range since they typically beam the locals only in a 3 to 5 hundred mile radius. We are well beyond the range... as we were in Lake Siskiyou. Unlike some folks who will "change some address" to get the locals wherever they happen to be we do not do that. Once out of range of the locals we don't get ANY locals until we are back in Bakersfield range.

Our DNS stations stay with us wherever we go. No range limit on them.

This issue can get very confusing because we tend to talk about some things we think are the same but in reality are very different.

Straighten me out Robbie. I am becoming more challenged in many ways in my old age.

Later,

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dennis,

You are right, your "Local Channels" are in Bakersfield. Mine are in Seattle. My understanding, and I may be wrong is that the spot beam for local channels only reaches about 300 miles.

With Dish, we have a choice to continue to get ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX, stay within the mileage range to get the network channels, or pay the extra money through All American Direct and get them wherever we might be at the time. This is real similar to the west coast vs. east coast feeds. We have a choice of New York, or San Francisco....pretty sure there are others, but those are the two we chose.

There is surely someone on here who has a better understanding than I do about this subject......TV's aaaarrrrggggghhhhh!!! Lets get back to talking about something sensible...how about computers?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
bross
Established Member

M.O.C. #7621
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lynn

Is it possible to get local channels on Dish Network without calling as they say you can do with Direct TV? I'm told with Direct you can change to new locals after a move by using only the remote control.

No it is not possible to change to new locals using your remote control with Dish Network. But, you can change them by calling and changing your service address or going online and using their online help.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Robbie,

Let's talk about tailgates!

The whole "local" vs the DNS is a very confusing area for many of us. And if you have HD then it gets even more challenging. We are just happy when we can hit the "bird"! Now we have the DVR receiver which is even more of a challenge...... It does not hook up with a coax like the old boxes! So we have to use an RF Modulator device. But... it is all good!

Later,
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lynn

I've had DirecTV for seven years and have not ever been able to change my local channels merely by using the remote. Whoever told you that you could is mistaken. I'm sure they didn't know you wanted to change your channels after you'd moved out of your "home" area.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote