Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Alaska State Bird

It's the last week of February and do you know what we have ALREADY? Yep, mosquitos. I hate them. A lot. We've been warm, to darn warm, and now they are showing their filthy little selves. Yuck. A good hard freeze is what we need and that should take care of the little buggers! Yep, a good hard freeze.

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Just get out the surface to air missles-- if I remember the little buggers from last summer while up there-- and prepare to launch! You can have our weather down here in Omaha, Tammy! It's now 41 which isn't much different from yours up there right now but we do get the below 32 in the evenings yet to keep the "dive bombers" off our bods for at least another month or so yet! Go to Dollar General or Big Lots next time you head for Ankorage and get yourself some of those electronic pest controls. They say they keep the flying ones away too. Plug one into the outside outlets also to keep them at your neighbors! Take care and hope all goes well in Seward!
P.S. You can always just carry a fabric softener sheet in your pocket whenever you're out. That's what we did when we were there last summer and it worked well! OR maybe decorate your fiver with them inside and out!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
A missle? I never thought of that. I could even multi-task with it. I could shoot the mosquitos and the black tank next time it wants to give us a problem. Hmmmmmm? Good idea.

Please send me your below freezing weather. Please, pretty please. I hate it. It's toooooo hot. I left FL/GA because of the 3 H's. Heat, humidity and hurricanes. I hate all of them. At least it's beautiful here and I do have a/c.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We're heading down t Georgia in about two weeks and I'll try and send you some of their weather! LOL I don't think you had better use that missle for the black water tank-- you just might eliminate a 3650 if you did that! Just use PLENTY of H2O and Angel Soft from here on and make sure that furnace is heating the B tanks also!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Where to in GA? That's home for Bernie. Have fun and drive safe!

You think a missile on the black tank would be too much huh? Oh well. Thinking about sometimes is all I need!!!!
Tammy
Old 02-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Well they say the mind has tremendous power-- maybe just a threatening thought will keep it clear for you from now on!
We're heading for Montezuma, about 15-20 miles southwest of Perry and about an hour and a half or two south of Macon! Mary has a brother that lives there and runs a salvage yard- so when you're back and need a car or truck part just give him a call! We are also going to attend "The Rally" in Perry the 13-17th. We're not taking the Monte down but will go just to see what it's like and maybe see some of the MOC people there! They are suppose to have hundreds of new rigs and about 2000+ campers parked in their parking lots for it (with and without hookups! Should be interesting! Even the CGs all around Perry have been booked for months now for that week or so! When we were down there last year they had a big RV rally there about mid February and the place was packed full of Class A rigs all over the place! It's held at the fair grounds there just off the interstate.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
My grandmother on my mama's side was born in Montezuma. I went to college in Macon at Mercer University. Maybe you'll meet Bernie's parents at the rally - his dad is Bernie Sr. Boy, you are heading to my neck of the woods! You are going to have soooo much fun. Be safe! Enjoy!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Pretty nice of you to call those things mosquitos. When we lived in Alaska, they were called No-See-Ums. Although they were as big as B-52s, you generally didn't see them until they drilled you in the back or on your ear. Talk about MISERABLE--yikes. No matter where we went, there they were, ready to drain you dry. I'd forgotten about those things.
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I hate no see ums too. Those things are terrible and tiny. At least I can see the mosquitos to kill it. The no see ums up here make a Georgia sand gnat look like a piece of cake!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:55 AM   #10
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
We were in Alaska from 6/25/06 - 7/8/06 and the only mosquitoes we saw were at the Artic Circle and our Wisconsin mosquitos would whip them before breakfast. I can't verify it but I have been told mosquitoes in Minnesota carry away small dogs.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have the Mosquito Magnet. Works great. Mosquito's were so bad here 4 years ago when we were getting some hail damage and roof replaced on our house. The workers could hardly work. We couldn't go outside much either. There is a marsh at the end of our property that draws them...
Since we got the Mosquito magnet, we never see them. This kills only the females, and males just die out. Females are attracted to the carbon monoxide coming out of the machine. You can use a mosquito attractant that makes them work even better. The attractant is for whatever misquote is in your area. Some of the home depot have them and can be ordered on line too.
It takes about 3 weeks or a month to get rid of the mosquitos.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I am a big mosquito magnet fan. They really work! Guess we'll be putting that out about 2 months early!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Yes they do work! We can enjoy our decks and yard again. Ours will be out again this spring.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Amazing! Something that works just like it's supposed to!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Yes - some say they are state bird here in MN too...unofficially of course - we do have the Loon as our real one.
Keep those mosquitos in Alaska!!...sorry Icehouse, but we need to be able to get outside and enjoy the elements instead of freezing. LOL

Southern MN isn't so bad. There is little water that isn't moving, so they can't reproduce. Hardy a biter to be found...

It's good to hear those magnets actually work - it must be the first thing that actually does. Now I'm gonna have to try it.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:00 AM   #16
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Last time we flew to Alaska we were put into a holding pattern for 30 minutes while the air traffic controllers vectored the mosquitos to the right airport...Fairbanks I think it was. The only other time I saw anything like it was in Perth, Australia.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #17
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Tammy I'm sure you know the official state bird for Alaska is the Ptarmigan. But did you know how the town of Chicken got its name? The guy who wanted to name the town wanted it to be named after the state bird, but he (like me) could not spell it, so he put down Chicken on the paper work.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #18
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Their not big until they can stand flatfooted and Scr?? a turkey.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote