Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Black Tank Gauge

Question for all you Montana veterans. My black tank gauge normally reads full after one day. This happens quite frequently, even though we have used it fr 3 weeks. My Wildeness had the same size tank and lasted for 5 or more days, depending on if grandchildren were here. I know the gauges are very inaccurate, but this one seems to be totally off. It starts out with the typical empty, then hits 1/3, 2/3, and then full, after I empty tank I giveit a good flushing with the internal tank flush. Any suggestions? Does anybody make an accurate gauge?

Thanks,

barb and bob

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Any suggestions??

only one

IGNORE the silly gauges.

Ozz, I believe, installed some others, he'll tell ya about them, Ozz, it was you, right???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:54 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You betcha!
Vena tank monitoring system. I'll try and dig up a picture.
They send a signal through the tank wall, never get dirty, always accurate-only way to go.
(This picture was right after I installed it, hadn't calibrated it yet.)
Ozz
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/107737e3.jpg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Most of us just ingnore the gauge. Any little debris that contacts the sensor will cause a misreading. You can tell when your black tank is approaching full when you start getting what I call "blow back." This is a sort of momentary bubble that is created when you open the toilet to flush it. We are full time (going on 7 years now) and find that we usually have up to two days before we have to dump after we first notice this "blow back." That may not be a correct term but it's all I can think of at this time.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Thanks for the info.. I normally ignore the gauges, but since this was sort of prevalent , figured I would ask. When I break camp Thursday, I will chuck some ice cubes in the tank, along with a cup of calgon, a see if I can get rid of the debris. Ya'all take care.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Mine reads 2/3, right after I dump, I think the gauges on my Montana are junk.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Scattershot, we have had 3 5th wheels, 2 were not Montanas. The gauges have been the same on all 3. We have found that on the Monty when we do the black tank flush really good, the gauge will read empty until we use it again. The others never read empty. Most RVers do not pay attention to the gauges for the gray or black tanks.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
Bobcat
Established Member

M.O.C. #6048
The flush on the Monty is much better than our last 5er. We flush the tank everytime and it always goes to empty.
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
If I use the black tank flush system my guages work fine, but if i just dump the tank and don't use it...then the guage is off. But even when the guage works and shows the system is full...I don't dump until several days after I get a "blow back" like the other poster said. Which is about 30 days in my case.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:31 AM   #10
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I think those gages are the by product of an unhappy, disgruntled engineer who got his or her revenge on their employer at the expense of the RV industry.

In theory, they are a great tool to determine the need to flush your gray or black tank, but in reality, they cause more aggravation and stress than anything else.

In our year of fulltiming, we have learned that when the black tank burps at us, it is time to flush. When the water backs up into the shower, it is time to flush the grey tank. The galley tank is flushed about every three days.

Hang a nice picture over the gages and forget about them.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:49 AM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
If your tank is indeed filling up that fast, check and make sure they don't have some gray water going into it by mistake. I know someone that had that problem.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #12
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Glad to know I'm not alone, anyway. My flusher doesn't work, so maybe that's part of the problem. Will have it looked at under warranty when we get back to Beaudry in January. The fresh , gray, and galley indicators work pretty well, it's just the black that doesn't.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote