Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #21
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I emailed the gentleman who is selling these locks. I asked him if they deliver to Canada. He had not thought of it and he was going to check with the USA mail. He seems like an honest guy and I hope I can do business with him. Thanks again OZZ.

This is like the spare tire issue, you might get away with the stock set up but then again you might not............ I do have a lot of life insurance to protect Donna and the Kids, but I am not planning on checking out any time real soon. It is the same with this gadget. A good plan to have in case bad stuff happens.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #22
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I installed mine last month. Read the destructions carefully. If I had it to do over I would have drilled the hole a little differntly. My mark came out overlapping one of the rivets that hold on the end cap. I should have drilled it to the side (I think there is enough slack), or drilled out the rivet. Instead I drilled on the mark. It works but the hole is larger than it should be (because the rivet fell out) and there is a little more play in the system then I would like. I may replace the end cap this winter. Live and learn.

Dennis & Leona
http://tinypic.com/fxv09e.jpg
05 3295RK
05 F350 King Ranch, Long Box, Crew Cab, 4X4, PSD, 4 in. Exhaust, X-Monitor Guages
Reese 20K with Bed Saver
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #23
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Here is the awning lock I put on this year:

http://www.toys4rvs.com/as.htm

Doug & LInda,Estero, FL
2005 2980RL
2005 F-250 SD 4x2 6.0L V8 Diesel 5 SPD Auto
Reis 16k
dcowie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #24
kaw

M.O.C. #6286
[quote]Originally posted by Sweetfire

...My mark came out overlapping one of the rivets that hold on the end cap. ..... It works but the hole is larger than it should be (because the rivet fell out) and there is a little more play in the system then I would like. I may replace the end cap this winter. ....

Sweetfire,

A suggestion for you:
Rather than replace the end cap, you could just drill out all the rivets, rotate the existing end cap so a fresh spot appeared where you wanted the awning lock hole to be, then reattach the cap with rivets. You could probably reuse the old rivet holes --if you didn't enlarge them with the drilling process.

Then mark the location of the pin, mark the location for the pin's hole, drill the pilot hole, then drill the fresh, new, neat, 3/8" hole for the pin.

I will probably post this another place on this forum, but since I'm writing now, here goes. I'm the Webmaster of http://awninglock.com I've just installed a forum there for all things related to awning locks, especially the RV Awning Travel Lock. (It's not pretty yet, the colors don't match, etc., but it works and is easier to use than the blog.) There's one forum titled Questions and Answers which I invite you and any of the Montana Owners to use. If anyone has a question, I'll try to get an answer. Then many questions and answers will be all in one place for other RVers.
http://awninglock.com/forum

Some of you have purchased from this site. Please know that I appreciate it!

Cheers,
Keith Williams
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:29 PM   #25
kaw

M.O.C. #6286
[quote]Originally posted by azstar

We have heard of Awings coming unfurled over the years while in transit and have tried to understand how this could happen. .....why the lock failure? Age related or Manufacture's defect?

It's hard to imagine A&E designers not making sure they have a durable lock system.

And Ozz posted this on Sep 4:

Don't think I didn't take everything apart! I found an aluminum cog type gear that had stripped, the wind overpowered the aluminum design and it failed.
The guy I dealt with said it shouldn't have happened. I asked him about an awning lock. he said if they deemed that necessary, it would come with one.

First, it hard for me, too, to understand why the awning designers do not "have a durable lock system." I'd like to think that if that were my responsiblity that I'd work on it day and night until I had a design which worked for years with only an acceptable failure rate.

In my opinion, the problem is mainly one of design. Manufacturing slip-ups might or might not contribute to the field failures; I don't know.

The problem can happen on awnings of any age. Last year, my friend lost one on his brand new Winnie on his trip to FL. Now his was an electric awning, which is somewhat of a different cat than you folks are talking about. But it did thousands of dollars worth of damage to his beautiful coach and nearly ruined his trip. (The RV Awning Travel Lock discussed here won't fit the electric awings, but a model which will is in the works.)

At least we all agree that it shouldn't have happened! But it does happen, over and over again. I personally know of four cases, including my own. So it isn't just a one-in-a-million occurance!

And as long as the manufacturers deem it unnecessary to include a positive, can't-fail, lock on their awnings there will be opportunities for guys like Wilson Forbes (RV Awning Travel Lock inventor)and for my website!

Cheers,
Keith Williams
http://awninglock.com
Old 09-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Keith,
A great product!
Quality and a fair price.
Thanks, Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #27
kaw

M.O.C. #6286
Tnanks for your kind words, Ozz.

By the way, you really lucked out when you lost your awning! Fortunately, the weak link in your system was the fabric itself. It acted as the "fuse" and simply ripped. In many instances, the fabric does not rip! Instead, the supports are ripped from the coach, sometimes ripping the attachment fixtures from the coach, too.

Be glad that you had a "weak" canopy!

Old 09-16-2006, 01:34 AM   #28
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Keith,
I felt nothing even close to lucky at the time, we were right in the middle of nowhere, New Mexico, so windy we couldn't stand up straight, with me having to climb the ladder and lay on the roof, crawling along with my knife slicing off what was left of the awning, while it was beating me half to death. Poor Sue was pulling the torn awning down, trying to bunch it up for transport, it was pulling her all over the road before I could get down and help her.
BUT, as you stated, it could have been worse.
The old grouch that installed the new awning stated he was surprised that the supports and arms were not damaged, as they usually were.
Thanks, Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote