Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
Hawlinbass

M.O.C. #15799
Colorado Mountaineer question

Hello and thank you for allowing me to join the MOC. I have recently purchased a 2002 Montana Mountaineer 315r and so far love it. I am in the process of winterizing it but having problems locating the hot and cold low water drains.I have crawled around on my back looking for it under the belly of the trailer with no success. I am hoping someone can give me a little direction as to its location.

Thank you!

Hawlinbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This was a great question since the newer models have them in the convenience center, but the older models don't have one of those. I didn't know the answer and was curious myself so I called Keystone customer service. On the older models they aren't sure either, but since the reason their in the connivence center now is to keep them from freezing they said that in those older models the valves were up in the underbelly. Their advise was to get a flashlight and go under there and look for a slit in the under belly material and the valves should be up in the underbelly. We discussed it and felt that the most likely places for that slit to be was near the water inlet, near the sink or near the bathroom, but they didn't offer any guarantees. Hope this helps you find them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Hawlinbass

M.O.C. #15799
Thanks DQDick,

I called them as well and was told exactly the same thing. I will have to look again but I crawled all over with a flash light in hand and couldn't find it. Also removed the access panel for the hot water heater and looked under sinks to see if I could find where the water lines went through the floor with no success. I cant believe that Keystone/Montana doesn't have a water diagram with the exact location.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If that comes as a shock to you, don't even ask for a wiring diagram. The real truth seems to be that the Amish craftsman kind of put stuff where they want from time to time particularly when they're trying to meet the deadline to move the rig along (18-20 rigs a day doesn't leave room to closely follow a plan) so close is good enough and an actual diagram could create problems for Keystone.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Hawlinbass

M.O.C. #15799
Thats not good news. I had heard great things about Keystone RV's thats kind of a scary thought that close is good enough. I really appreciate your help.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Allen-- If it is anything like my old unit(it was a 2004 model) the low point drain/s were under the unit about midway between the axles. It has a cap on the tube hanging down and all you did was unscrew that cap and the water would flow out. Some advise, however! Drain your hot water tank first and the see if you can locate it inside the unit and see if there is a shutoff valve in there to turn so you don't fill the water heater full of "pink stuff" when winterizing the unit. You didn't mention which model you have of the Mountaineer but my water heater and furnace were both located under the kitchen island or "L" shaped counter in the lower part of the "L". The only way to get to them was taking the larger vent off the island and looking down inside there for the shutoff valve near the water heater. Also my unit had a tube connected to the water pump, which was also under the island but accessible from a small access door screwed to the inside wall under the sink. It also had a shutoff or bypass valve on it and you could stick the hose that was connected into a bottle of pink stuff and then turn on the pump to pump the RV anti-freeze throughout the unit by opening the faucets on at a time until the pick stuff came out of the faucet. This must be done to each line, hot and cold. Don't forget the outside shower lines and the stool line too. I normally just blew out the line to the black tank flush and didn't put any pick stuff in it. Just remember the lines do not take over 50 lbs. of pressure or you will blow a connection somewhere if you use more than that on the older units. I then would go around and put the "pink stuff" into each trap of the sinks and in the stool itself to keep the ball active and moist over the winter.
Welcome aboard the MOC Forum and I think you will find this the best darn site on the www. you will ever find when it comes to solving problems or wanting to know things about your unit. Remember, there is never a dumb question. They all need answers and this is the place to find them!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
Hawlinbass

M.O.C. #15799
Rondo,

I have a 2002 Montana Mountaineer 315r. The hot water heater is located under my entertainment center mid trailer. I found the bypass connected to the hot water heater, so I can shut that off before I put the antifreeze in. I am just having a problem locating the lower water drains. I have not found any tubes with caps hanging down under the belly anywhere except for the fresh water tank. Keystone states that they may be behind a small slit cut in the under belly material. Was yours located on the outside of the trailer frame or to the inside between the axles?

Thanks Rondo, I am very happy to have found this site as Keystone wasn't much help.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Allen-- Our low point drain was between the axles on the inside of the unit. Ours did hang down but I guess it could be up inside the underbelly. It would be a surprise to me however since the low point has to be out to drain the unit. You may have to look for the slit in the under belly cover if that was what Keystone says. You might get ahold of Trailer Trash 2 here on the Forum. He has a 2004 unit and Country Guy has a 2003 or 2004 unit also, I think!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Hawlinbass

M.O.C. #15799
Awesome Thank you Sir!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #10
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
On our 2001 Montana the low drains were near the axles on the curb side. They did not have valves only screwed on caps. I removed the caps and installed valves. Hope this helps.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #11
Hawlinbass

M.O.C. #15799
awaywego, were they hanging in clear site or hidden behind the under belly material? Also can you recall if they were on the outside or inside of the frame?

Thank you!