Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Routing ?

We are heading for Anehiem, CA (without the Monte this time) for a convention and then up the coast to Washington State! We want to take the scenic way and have checked out 101 and 1 and have debated which way to go. It's our first time in CA and don't want to miss things on our way. Can you give us any suggestions on routing and also places to check out while we are headed North up the coast? Thanks for any help and advice in advance!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
When going north to get to 101 (probably I-5 out of Anaheim) and towards Los Angeles start in late morning (after 10-10:30) and hopefully you'll miss the northbound traffic going into the L.A. area from Orange County, but make it to the other side before the traffic that heads home (starting about 3:00pm.

Hwy 101 has the worst traffic in the nation - it has more traffic than any other route on a daily basis. Don't let the numerous lanes fool you. If you get stuck in the "get home" traffic on the other side of L.A., you will hate life and understand why road rage came about.

After you get outta town, there's the missions along the way to visit - Santa Barbara, Santa Ynez and others. Hwy 1 starting at San Simeon all the way to Carmel/Monterey is just plain astounding!!!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Not pulling! Highway 1 is the most scenic. We picked up Hwy-1 From Seal Beach, then US-101 for our trip North, but we were in a 40' pulling. We took side trips on Hwy-1 and the scenery is wonderful. If you are not pulling, I'd strongly recommend CA-1 over US-101. Take your time and enjoy. The Big Sur was great, and the 17 mile toll road was nice, as was all of our trip.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Ron
Let's talk tonight over dinner.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We drove 101 from San Francisco to Portland a number of years ago not towing. Beautiful drive all along the way. But when you get into northern California, but sure to take the side trip thru the Avenue of the Giants. Some truly amazing trees in that forest. Some trees that have had the lower trunk partially burned and you can walk around inside of them! And they are still alive! The route parallels 101 for several miles so there is no backtracking necessary.
There were many other picturesque spots along the way, but I have forgotten names for them now. I am sure others will fill in the blanks.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
herewegotogether
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9367
From Anahiem I would take the 5 to the 10 west to Santa Monica and get on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) (1) north to Port Hueneme. You will travel throught the Santa Monica beach area, Malibu, Zuma Beach on the way to Port Hueneme. Than connect to the 101 north along the coastal cities of Ventura, Carpinteria, Montito, Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach and San Louis Obispo, and San Semion. One stop on this route in San Louis Obispo area is the Modonna Inn (Exit Modonna Rd) they have tours of the Mens rest room every hour because of the waterfalls and such, not to mention that every room in the hotel is a theme room, its pink on the left side of the highway you can't miss it. In San Simeon is Hearst Castle if you have the time take one of the tours, its amazing the amount of money spent on this Ranch House as they say on the tour. From San Simeon off to Big Sur, Monteray, San Jose, San Francisco and North. Good Luck on your trip to CA it is a great state with lots and lots to do and see. The coast highway is one of the most amazing roads to travel.

Bill and Laurie
herewegotogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, 1 by all means and 101 when you get into the redwoods (no 1 up there if I recall). We just did that route up the CA coast and then the OR coast and WA. Leaving Port Angeles, WA tomorrow morning.

http://vickiandsteve.com
then 2010 postcards starting with the June 4 postcard. That will show you what you're in for! Gorgeous. Wow.

I just noticed your original post is July 29. Maybe I'm too late with this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote