Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
DMS
Established Member

M.O.C. #5504
Bicycle Rack on Back

How does one go about putting a receiver hitch on the back of a Montana? I searched but found no matches(not sure if search is working?). We would like to carry a couple of bikes on a rack that can be transferred to another hitch on another vehicle. Thanks for any help.

Doug

DMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I don't think Keystone wants you to put a hitch on the back, check your warranty. I use the rack that hangs from the ladder and hang my bikes on it, works great but does make it hard to clime up the ladder. I "think" I remember a post where it was done and had some great pictures and also a hitch that was made to attach to the pin box. Some one with a better memory will be by to give you better info.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Doug, when we were a the rally in Goshen last year and the three reps from Keystone was there - they got asked that question I don't know how many times and in different ways. I even personanly talked to the tall guy, can't remember his name. One of my questions was "why can't Keystone make provisions to install bike racks or even sell them as an factory installed option?" I think the Mountaineer has some sort of slide thing attached to the frame. From all the answers they kept saying "no" to attaching anything to the rear of the frame. Now that could be one of them legal liability things - we have discussed that before. I do remember one of the Keystone guys saying if we would put a bike rack attachment then someone would modify it and be dragging a Hummer behind it and the frame is not designed for that much stress. I do know that there are some people on this forum that have successfully made the modifications to attach boats, trailers, bike racks etc. But that is the choice they made and I am not going to fault them for that. Myself - I tried the ladder thing by carrying a bike back there and in just a short time I found the ladder getting loose (Thanks Glenn). I think when it is all said and done I might go with the hitch receiver installed on the front of the TV. If Keystone engineers has concerns about the rear frame stress - that is good enough for me. I bow to the knowledge.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ozz, has done that. Check his picture book. He has detail info on how to do it. However what others have said about the warranty is correct.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:35 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A major part of my travel enjoyment is to take our bikes out and explore. It is about the only exercise my lazy bones get. It sounds like you enjoy biking as well Doug.
The way I figure it, the rack and mount will not hurt anything on the Monte, and the frame issue will probably never come up. If it does, I will deal with it, meanwhile, my bikes are with Sue and I for our enjoyment.
As Mudchef stated, my pictures are beneath my sig.
I elected to bolt mine on myself, any hitch shop can do it. Many state that the rear stabilizers have to be moved to make room for the hitch assembly, I made mine work without the move.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:16 AM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Ozz How far back did you mount the receiver, If I remember correct you had to add an extension to the hitch receiver? I will do the hitch this spring and will use a universal hitch made for motorhomes. Ozz I've seen your bike rack on the truck what brand, that could make a difference with the distance to clear the latter? SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:05 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dennis, I mounted as far back as it would go on the frames. I added the extension, and welded it on, because the kit that Croft Trailer had in K.C. had only one length of female receiver available. I imagine they get them the same place as other Hitch businesses. One member, (sorry, I can't remember your name) got a kit at Pep Boys.
I bet suppliers have many different configurations for sale to the end user.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DMS

How does one go about putting a receiver hitch on the back of a Montana? I searched but found no matches(not sure if search is working?). We would like to carry a couple of bikes on a rack that can be transferred to another hitch on another vehicle. Thanks for any help.

Doug
Doug, If your just looking to put a bike rack on had you considered a bumper attached one? We got one last fall that works fine for us. Its at: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/b...e-carriers.htm

EDIT - sorry realized after posting that you were looking for a receiver hitch approach to swap between vehicles. Just another thought though that a bumper for your 5th wheel and receiver for your other would probably still be less than the cost of adding a receiver to the montana unless you see real value in using it for other things??
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
I asked this very question while at the RV show here in Spokane. Although I did not direct my question to the Keystone rep my answer came back as though it was from both the Keystone rep and the dealer. The answer I got back was that it can be done, but the dealer would not do it. It has to do with liability. Once the dealer puts a hitch on the trailer, they cannot stop someone from pulling a vehicle behind it and for that reason they will not install one. I later directed that question through an e-mail to the rep and never got an answer.

I've been investigating other options and have found one that attaches to the Pin Box frame. I might just go with that option if I can get more information on it.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
I think you are in luck. I had had one installed on a '04 Challenger, and then installed a "cargo carrier" with a "cargo box". The installer suggested I keep the weight under 500 pounds.

Then in September I went out and fell in love with a 3400RL and had a receiver installed when I picked it up from the dealer located just to the North of you. Don't want to jeopardize his dealership. I didn't even think about the warranty issue.

However, there was a slight problem. The machinist (it was his first one) used angle iron instead of 2" tubing and the receiver bent on the way back to Pasco. I went to Savage Trailer & Tank in Pasco and they corrected the problem in about 2 hours of work. I would suggest you go directly to them. I dealt with Dave, a good man. I have his phone # if you want it. They understand structural issues.

Anyway, since then I have traveled over 2,000 miles with absolutely no problem. We stand on it to clean our back window.
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
I have a 2003 3575. I contacted the dealership where I purchased the unit (Burlington Camping In Wi.) They referred me to a local welding shop that put hitches on for them regularly. Beautiful installation. The dealership and welding shop were very specific about only carrying bikes with this. We have used this for over a year with no problems. This replaces the ladder rack which was nothing but trouble. Being able to transfer from the trailer to the truck with nothing more than pulling the pin is a huge benefit. This modification cost around $300.00.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If you're willing to take the risk of frame problems, go for it. I, for one, will not take the chance. When we purchased our Montana in 2000, as part of the deal I had them install a receiver hitch on the rear of the rig so I could carry two bicycles. Right after that, I received notice from the dealer that because of the hitch my frame warranty could be voided. Keystone had just notified the dealer that hitches were a no-no. Fortunately, I had no problems but I quit carrying the bicycles.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:50 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is true that Keystone will tell us that the hitch on the back will void the frame warranty.However Keystone does not Warranty the Frame Lippert does. It might be a good idea to call and ask Lippert what will void the frame warranty.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:17 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
It really seems to me that the racks listed by 315RLS are the way to go. They mount on the bumper and NOT the frame. This way there should be no frame "issues" with Keystone or Lippert. Am I missing something here? I've read the Montana Manual (lol), and it doesn't mention anything about not mounting to the bumper. I haven't seen mine in a while, but, there is a bumper isn't there???

I will be ordering mine after the Tax man cometh and hopefully dieeth......

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:09 AM   #15
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
One problem, Montana does not have bumper.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:34 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Uh Oh!!!!! I guess I am in the same boat then. Have two bikes to carry with me when I go. I wonder why no bumper..
Old 01-29-2007, 05:59 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, I called Lippert and spoke to Vaughn. He says to have a hitch shop weld a receiver type hitch to the main rails and ONLY USE IT TO HAUL BIKES. This would not affect the frame nor the warranty. He says the intent of the warranty is for folks NOT to haul anything like a boat or trailer or car but that a couple of bikes would have no effect. I suppose one would still be taking a chance since the written warranty does not mention bike racks, per se, as being ok....

Why are there so many GREY areas in our lives????????
Old 01-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Phil, THANK YOU. We have had so many posts scaring the heck out of people about the bicycle hauling issues.
Thanks for posting your findings and going the extra mile with a simple phone call.
Ozz
Old 01-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Your welcome, I just hope it doesn't turn in to a denial thing, if you catch my drift....
Old 01-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #20
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
It is my understanding that Lippert OK'd and in fact installed several receivers at the last Montana ralley in Goshen. They have even gone on record via. email as saying that receivers could be installed - if done correctly - without warranty issues. They recommended the small receiver - 1.5" I believe - and stated not to place more that 200 - 250# on the frame, including the receiver mounting hardware. I was told that as was previously mentioned, it is more of a liability issue than a frame issue, as my mechanical engineering buddy tells me that the rolled 10" I-beam frame will take significant weights before structural problems are likely to occur. Think about it. It's OK to add almost 500# of water to the rear end, but not 250# of bikes?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote