Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Individual Slide-out Control

Has anyone located and installed a hydraulic manifold with individual elecric switch controls to allow for operating the slides individually? Without the need to go into the front basement and manually turn off a control.

bw2

2006 Montana 3400RL

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Nope.

But if you want to see how it's done check out the competition...Sunnybrook, NuWa, Jayco Designer, Carrilite, etc. When we were shopping for a new rig, that was one feature is seemed everybody had...except Montana.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
No, but sure wish Keystone would add this to the Montana.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Quick, let's let OZZ try it, if anyone can, OZZ can! So how about it OZZ, can you figure out a way to put a selector switch in? Actually, I don't find it much of a problem, I can't put the bedroom slide out when the Montana is parked beside the stick house. I would find it more of a problem if I didn't have a manifold that with the individual valves to shut off.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
All you need to do is install 12V blocking valves (in my case 2), have a couple of hydraulic hoses made, and run wire to rocker switches in say your entry closet. The valves are made by Parker and can be bought at Graingers or about any commercial supply house. All the switches and wiring can be had at any auto parts store. Any local hydraulics shop or implement dealer can make up your hoses. I secured my valves to the bulkhead behind the slide pump and plumbed them inline with the existing manual control manifold and lines. It can all be had for @ $300 - $350. I'll try and get some photos for a visual along with part numbers. I too cannot figure out why Keystone doesn't go a little extra and step up in this area with its competitors.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dieselguy is your man on this one.
I for one, am content to just raise the door and adjust the valves open and closed, a simple man, I yam.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I agree with Ozz. For as often as I find a need to operate the slides individually I could not justify such an expenditure.

BUT I would like to see Dieselguy's pics so they could be added to the Show & Tell page
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:52 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
In 2 years of operation, I have needed that adjustment once. Maybe I ain't useing my rig right.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Still haven't got up to storage to take pictures yet ... sorry. Just a note to those who get kinda of stuck on the price ... I have a 2980RL and cannot get to the fridge without slightly opening the main slide which is the last of 3 slides to come out. I've swapped the position of the couch and dining table. I know some have rotated the dining table, but losing 2 place settings to this configuration doesn't work well for us. About every trip we use the slide switches for our application ... Like I've posted before ... sometimes ya just have to look past the price to get what you want ...
Refering to Keystones' advertising of slide out selector valves, I just can't figure out what they were thinking in "user friendliness" about having to go out, open the front compartment, close the appropriate valve, then go back in and run the slide switch ... then back out to open the valve again for the next time.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I was pleased to find that our new Monty had the selector valves even if they are manual. Better than the ones I didn't have on our previous Monty. I do agree that I would be happy with individual silde switches. Then, there are others that may not want to be encumbered with choices as to which slide to slide first.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:26 AM   #11
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

All you need to do is install 12V blocking valves (in my case 2), have a couple of hydraulic hoses made, and run wire to rocker switches in say your entry closet. The valves are made by Parker and can be bought at Graingers or about any commercial supply house. All the switches and wiring can be had at any auto parts store. Any local hydraulics shop or implement dealer can make up your hoses. I secured my valves to the bulkhead behind the slide pump and plumbed them inline with the existing manual control manifold and lines. It can all be had for @ $300 - $350. I'll try and get some photos for a visual along with part numbers. I too cannot figure out why Keystone doesn't go a little extra and step up in this area with its competitors.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:30 AM   #12
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Still haven't got up to storage to take pictures yet ... sorry. Just a note to those who get kinda of stuck on the price ... I have a 2980RL and cannot get to the fridge without slightly opening the main slide which is the last of 3 slides to come out. I've swapped the position of the couch and dining table. I know some have rotated the dining table, but losing 2 place settings to this configuration doesn't work well for us. About every trip we use the slide switches for our application ... Like I've posted before ... sometimes ya just have to look past the price to get what you want ...
Refering to Keystones' advertising of slide out selector valves, I just can't figure out what they were thinking in "user friendliness" about having to go out, open the front compartment, close the appropriate valve, then go back in and run the slide switch ... then back out to open the valve again for the next time.
Thanks for the information. As we ttravel, we stop at parks and rest stops for lunch. We like to open the dining slide to sit at the table and have a lesure lunch and take a break from the road. So, opening the dining slide and on the occassion we want to cook/microwave, the kitchen slide. The switches will be of great use.

How did you bleed the system once the switches were in place? I have had the 3400 since May 06, so I am just getting startted.

Thanks again for the info and Merry Christmas to all!@
Old 12-23-2006, 03:30 AM   #13
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Dieselguy thanks for the info. Please provide the details on this, I'm all in. The $$ aren't that bad and we need that feature all the time. As a matter of fact that option (or lack of option) and the lack of a hydraulic landing gear and rear jacks almost convinced me not to go with a Montana.

The more we use the Monty the more irritated I get that full hydraulics are not provided. We love the unit otherwise. Anyone have any details on changing out the landing gear and putting in hydraulics, can it be ran off of the slide pump. I seem to remember that Doubletree did.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:47 AM   #14
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Diesel Guy & Jim

DG, if possible, can you provide the part number? I have been to the Grainger web site and boy do I not understand what I am reading.

Jim, my friend has a DoubleTree and yes all of his hydraulicas are on one pump, I donot know the size. Landing gear front and back are hydraulic.

I too plan on adding this to my Monty 3400.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:10 AM   #15
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
The Doubletree has a second pump in the rear for the rear hyrdaulics. We actually had a DT selected and with cash in hand even did the delivery walk thru, had the 5th wheel put in the truck, washer dryer installed, etc., etc., then backed out when it came time to put my signature on the title. Sometimes I still kick myself over that, but a month later we ordered the Monty and it wasn't really any cheaper for what you get.

We really like the Monty, it is 1500 lbs lighter to pull but the lack of hydraulics is driving me crazy.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:57 AM   #16
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I also find it very inconvenient to have to open the bedroom slide and one of the living room slides to get to the refer and (at times) microwave. Would love to be able to open one slide without the bedroom opening first. As for the hydraulic landing gear - that would be an additional blessing -- Keystone you listening!!!??????
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 04:50 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
JimF, what is the advantage to hydraulic landing gear? Our gear has worked find on all three Montanas so I'm wondering what I'd gain. Thanks.

When we ordered the 2003 Montana we ordered the slide selector switches thinking we'd get individual switches in the interior of the rig. Big surprise. I, too, think this should be an option.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 05:07 AM   #18
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Steve: I saw several units during tailgating season with hydraulic landing gear -- block the wheels to level but no need to block the gear as they travel down until they touch then start to lift (I carry varying widths of wood to try to get the front gear to hit the ground at the same time but even so seems like the ground settles as contact is made, or I don't have the the right size board to fill the gap; I always worry that that 1/2 inch or so will twist the frame just enough (and enough times) that some weld will break .

One person even had one installed ($$$$$$) that would level his fiver but that was too fancy for me -- too many possible leaks/valves to break in my feable mind.

Another advantage of hydraulic gear is that they are much, much faster in operation.

I spoke with most of the owners and only one had anything bad to say -- had some leaks initially but warranty covered them and no problem since repair.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #19
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Sorry about the silence on my end … just got back from a trip to Rockport, Texas and then over to the Fredericksburg / Marble Falls area. Here are a couple of pictures semi detailing the valve installation. For the life of me I cannot find the invoice where I bought my cartridge valves. The valve cartridge and base have to be ordered separate and you will have to deal with your contact at Grainger as these are not stocked valves. The cartridge number is (Parker … DSL082ND012LP). Be sure it has the characteristic of free reverse flow. The base is (Parker B08-2-6P). You will also need to get (4) hydraulic fittings. (2) 90 degree fittings and (2) straight fittings 3/8” NPT by #4 JIC flare to screw into the bases as shown. Basically just remove the hoses from the back of the manifold on your Monty and attach them as indicated to the new valves. Then, have a couple of ¼” hoses @2’ long fabbed with #4 JIC female swivels on each end. Connect the manifold ports to the valves as indicated. After 2-3 cycles in and out, the system self bleeds the air out.
I tapped off an empty 12V lug on the back of the fuse panel and put the 12V lighted rocker switches (purchased at AutoZone) inside my entry closet per photo. The little wood box I made is 4” X 5” X 1.5”. This has to be done on the 2980RL because the switches stick back in the wall too far to allow the pocket door that separates the living and bedroom area to operate. Depending on the model, this may not be necessary for you. Run the wire as needed between the fuse panel, next to a floor beam, and then into the front storage compartment. When you want the bedroom and/or kitchen not to move … just flip the rocker switches on. When you’re done and ready to travel on down the road, pull the main slide in and flip the rocker switches off. Email me if you need a little more detail.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #20
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
DieselGuy

Thanks for the great information and the pictures!!!!!!! I plan on installing on my 3400, now I need to determine on how many of the four slides.