Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2006, 01:26 AM   #21
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
While at CW yesterday, we saw a dishwahser that actually sits on the counter! We at first thought it was a microwave, but closer inspection showed it to be a teeny little dishwasher that sits on the counter and uses a hose to connect to the faucet. If we had enough room in the Monty it would have come home with us.

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:13 AM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rick

I am waiting for a response from Al on this. (snicker), I sent him the URL's!

He refuses to do dishes in Tana, mumbles something about cannot help but splash water and does not want to get it on my computer. He knows I am rather attached to the computer! Me thinks it is a ploy. He does dishes at home. Ok, upon consideration, I will take back the comment about a ploy. He really does splash water when he does the dishes.

Waiting for a report on noise and such from Mudchief. Did read that it only used 3.5 gallons?? per load. Hmmmmmmm!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:39 AM   #23
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Well, someday I am going to try and find a place for one in our 2955RL. We would love one.
The more you can make your Monty like your stick house, the more you are going to like it.

If you ask us what we like the most about our Montana over our previous four fivers, we would both tell you, it is the washer/dryer unit.

A dishwasher would truly be the icing on the cake for me because when we travel, I hate to admit it, but I am the dishwasher. Not at home.......
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:47 AM   #24
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
This weekend we tested out the dishwasher and it works just as good as the one in the house. It makes very little noise. It has a heating element inside that heats the water to the proper temp. It also has a drying cycle on it. We left the dishes out until the food had harden on them before putting them in and they came out spotless. We are very pleased with it and now would not have a unit that didn't have one. It makes it more like home. Keystone should offer this as a option.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:22 AM   #25
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Mudchief, what is the brand of your dishwasher? Some of the other ones (in the links given) are portable and yours must be a built-in or a convertable that was built in. I don't think I'd like to have one sitting on the counter all the time but yours looks amazing! Is it a pain to load and unload (kneeling on the floor) ha! Marilyn
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:18 AM   #26
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Marilyn, It is a Danby and they must offer a kit to install it, because when you look under the counter there are special adapters that allow it to connect into the existing plumbing. It is not a back breaker to load. On the 3400RL you could mount it up higher if it was installed where the drawers are, however where it is mounted you loose the least amount of storage space.
1200 watts of Solar
Old 10-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #27
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
I already told my husband when we get ready to sign the papers for our Monty (probably the 3295 which should have room for one), I am going to have the dishwasher with me and hand it over to the dealer and request that they install it before we even bring the Monty home! (Going to have a washer & dryer installed before we take custody too so they can cut the venting hole for that as well.)

I think this smaller size dishwasher is actually more practical for two people than our full size one in our stick home as the one at home only gets run about every other day, if that, as there is not enough dishes used to run it everyday. We usually run out of silverware before we have enough dishes to wash.

Mudchief, thanks for the update on how yours worked this past weekend.
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:46 PM   #28
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
I am trying to figure out where you installed your Rv Dishwasher. It looks like a really nice job the way you installed it. Is it under the sink area??
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

Here are some pictures of the dishwasher in our new 3400RL

Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:22 AM   #29
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ron, it is installed under the sink. You loose the least amount of storage space in that location. I think it would go at the end above the hot water heater but you would have to re-route the vent pipe behind the panel and do a lot of wood work.
1200 watts of Solar
Old 10-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #30
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I rarely add my two-bits to the forum -I leave that to my DH- but I saw this topic and just had to jump in. Now I know we need a new 3400 - I need the extra counter/cupboard space to install the new dishwasher!!! I can do without the washer/dryer but a dishwasher is definitely a must.
Dawn
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #31
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Does the Danby have its own pump to pump out the water when it is finished? The others I have looked at do not and the drain must be below the level of the dishwasher.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:34 AM   #32
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
RADHAZJOE, It has it's own internal pump that pumps the water out.
1200 watts of Solar
Old 10-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #33
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
TX for reply. That must be why it is more expensive, too.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:06 AM   #34
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al measured our 3295 for the dishwasher, and swears it will NOT fit under the sink.

Course it would fit in the washer/dryer closet, but I am not gonna tote my drippy dirty dishes up the stairs to put them in a dishwasher.

SIGHHHHHHHHHH

I could have him write down the measurements and take the rule back out to Tana, NAHHHHH, not going there!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:41 AM   #35
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Could some drawers beside the cupboards under the sink accommodate the dishwasher if they were removed? Since there are so many drawers in the 3295, I would be willing to give some up IF the dishwasher would fit there.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:48 AM   #36
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I found this same Danby Dishwasher on the Costco.ca website. 229 Canadian and it is 22" wide, 22" deep and 17" high so it would fit into a lot of Montana models with a little imagination.

://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Home.aspx
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:31 AM   #37
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We are going to remeasure with the numbers of the units I might be interested in. Back to ya when that is accomplished.

He remembers that the problem was the depth, said even the counter top was not deep enough.

ON EDIT: I got the measurements for 3 of the dishwashers posted here, they are:

Danby DDW 396W, 22.5 wide; 22.5 deep; 17 high

Danby DDW496W, 22 8/16 (or 22.5 wide); 18 11/16 deep; 17 3/16 high

Edgestar, with black finish, 22 1/4 wide, 17 1/2 high and 19 1/4 deep.

Al went back out and remeasured our unit, and says that we have 15 inches max on the height and 18 inches max on the depth.

Part of the problem is the plumbing under the sink is restricting the measurements (which maybe could be moved, he HATES plumbing, so is resistant to that). I asked him, if you could leave the dishwasher poking out a bit in the front, seeing as it is finished on all edges. He is not sure bout that. We will look at it some more as time permits (He is fighting a cold and has been dealing with that nonsense with his mother and now we find we have the Dometic frig that is included in the recall, might be a while before we are up to figuring this out).
Old 11-01-2006, 06:55 AM   #38
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Thank you Mrs. Country Guy and Al! Have Al take care of that cold. I guess I just assumed that the counters/cupboards in the 3295 and a 3400 would be pretty much the same in dimensions (front to back) but apparently not. I assume then that even if the dishwasher was placed beside the sink location (placed where some drawers could be removed) there would still be the same problem with the depth, correct?

I had another thought, but don't know as though I would want to give up floor "space" by purchasing an 18" portable dishwasher (the type on wheels) that might be able to be converted to a permanent installation at the end of the counter. (I don't think that would look very attractive though as plumbing would probably have to be hanging out or someone who is a carpenter/cabinet maker make it "built in" somehow.) I would assume it would no way fit as an under the counter built in due to their depth though, if you were to remove a whole section of drawers even.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:08 AM   #39
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Would have to think VERY hard about putting anything permanent at the end of the island on the 3295, or you will be blocking the refer when slides are closed. We are able to get to the frig when hauling, and get out food and drink, WITHOUT opening a slide even a few inches, and I just don't want to lose that.

When I get out there, I am gonna look myself, so I can better report.

In the meantime, is there anyone out there with a 3400 that can measure the depth of the countertop where Mudchief's dishwasher is installed?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #40
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OKKK, had a look

Yea, gonna be pretty near impossible for us with limited knowledge of plumbing to pull this off, okk, we AIN'T GONNA pull it off. NOPE

The counter top, in between the stove and refer is about 1 to 1.25 inches deeper than that of the island. Thinking that might be why you can get it into a 3400.

Gotta say, whomever did that Mudchief's install did a outstanding job!

Just too tight, if you pulled the drawers on the 3295, maybe, if you let it stick out. I am not willing to loose the drawers, we are talking a major rebuild of that cabinetry, not gonna happen here, and we don't feel we can afford to pay someone the $$ to do it.