Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2006, 05:40 AM   #1
ghuff

M.O.C. #4899
New Montana (3400 '06)Hitch Problem

I have popped out a rear window on our F250 short bed with our new Montana 3400RL. I believe the hitch was just changed in late '05 so that the king pin is about 4" farther back from the front than it used to be. Has anyone else had the same problem or have comments on this problem?

ghuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:54 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Did this happen with a sliding hitch in you short bed truck?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
ghuff

M.O.C. #4899
I have a sliding hitch, but it was in the forward position because I just got off the expressway to get fuel. I made a turn in the gas station area while moving forward, that's when the window popped out. I didn't think I could turn sharp enough while driving forward to pop out a window.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Sorry to hear of your accident. That's the main reason I have a long bed. Most of the MOC members that have the short bed use the automatic sliders and they have had good-luck with them. I'm sure some of them will post to you soon.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
We have the PullRite 16K Super Glide for precisely that reason. Started with a "manual" sliding hitch but rather quickly saw that there were instances where it would be impossible or dangerous to stop the rig, get out, and slide the hitch. The investment in the automatic slider was not cheap but it was a no-brainer for us.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I agree with Bill. The automatic slider is the greatest. I can make a 90 degree turn when we are towing ( and I have done it twice) and have no problems. Also can make u-turns very easily. Also have had to do that to get into the campground we are in this winter. Can't do that with the manual sliders.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #7
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
ghuff

Was your pin box the long one or the short one on the new 3400RL, and what did you have on the old camper? Larry & LaVonne
Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
ghuff,
Keystone did in fact go to a standard kingpin on their coaches 34' and longer. Shorter than 34' gets the extended kingpin. I am sorry to hear about your mishap coming off the interstate. I too have the Superglide for this very reason, hope you can get your truck fixed soon.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I truly hate to hear when something happens to someone’s truck. Some people I know would even rather an accident happen to them than their trucks! Like several others here, we have the SuperGlide and simply swear by it. Certainly not inexpensive, but worth every bit of the price. You might want to request that PullRite send you the free video, which you can do from their web page—there is nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #10
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Ghuff
Ouch. we have the 2005 3475 which is the same box that you have. i specifically told them i wanted the extended pin box when I ordered the new one. My 2003 Montana did not come with it. we too have a short box truck and have had no problems towing the new Montana. We have the Reese Signature with the slider. I have no problems making the turns with the Montana hitched. In fact, I have not used the slider except once. You might check and see if you can get the extended pin for your rig. Or go to a Morride as I was planning to do before i traded. The Ford and Chev box is about the same size.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
ghuff
sorry about your mishap. I agree with the others about the pullrite. I would not have anything else. It takes the worry out. You are lucky it was the window and not the truck. If it had been your truck the cost of the pullrite would look cheap.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
ghuff
sorry about your mishap. I agree with the others about the pullrite. I would not have anything else. It takes the worry out. You are lucky it was the window and not the truck. If it had been your truck the cost of the pullrite would look cheap.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:31 AM   #13
JohnAprilandMeagan
Established Member

M.O.C. #5303
I am a new member to the club as we ordered our 2006 Mountaineer 329RLT about two weeks ago (spent a lot of time in RVs but first one to actually own and pull). I am quickly finding out that this is a very informative and educational forum. In reading all the info here about hitches, which I have not yet purchased, it sounds like the superglide may be the way to go as I too have a 2005 F250 shortbed that I am going to pull with. I am curious as to difficulties anybody may have encountered in hooking up with the superglide at less than a straight angle. I read somewhere else that you need to have the truck and the camper in a fairly straight line when hooking up and on somewhat level ground - something to do with 2 way pivoting head versus say a 4 way pivot on a Reese hitch. Experiences from superglide users would be appreciated. Thanks.
JohnAprilandMeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:04 AM   #14
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
My experience has been that hooking-up with the PullRite requires a bit more precision than with the regular hitch I had previously. In particular, I have found that (1) I need to be lined-up exactly on the king pin and (2) that I need to have the king pin actually resting on the hitch ... so that the hitch plate is flat against the king pin as I back the TV in for connection. So long as I do that (and keep the hitch well lubricated), the hooking-up process is simple and no problem. The need for precision (at least my perception of the situation) arises from the fact that there is a unique connector plate (that has to be welded to the normal king pin) that must engage the receptor and the jaws of the hitch itself. This design is what links the hitch and the king pin tightly together into a single unit and allows the hitch to slide automatically in a turn. Like many aspects of RVing, the PullRite has its quirks ... but once you figure out how to deal with them through experimentation, they quickly become non-issues.

Bill
Old 02-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #15
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JohnAprilandMeagan

I read somewhere else that you need to have the truck and the camper in a fairly straight line when hooking up and on somewhat level ground - something to do with 2 way pivoting head versus say a 4 way pivot on a Reese hitch. Experiences from superglide users would be appreciated. Thanks.
JohnAprilandMeagan,

According to the PullRite owners manual, you need to be no greater than 16° off parallel. So far I have not had a problem getting level or straight enough to hitch up.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:44 AM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I will agree with Bill, I have found that if I have the kingpin a little lower than the hitch as you back up the kingpin rides onto the head plate, this will force the suspension of the truck down and allow for a tight connection. Your latch will automatically close and lock in place with ease.

I have only had one time where the angle was just to great to get connected to my Superglide. Here is the trick I came up with to solve the problem. I took the head plate off the hitch and slide the head plate onto the kingpin manually. It will automatically close and wrap around the kingpin as if it were on the hitch itself. Then all you have to do is back under the kingpin and lower the head plate back onto the hitch, attach the pins on each side of the head plate hook your brakes up and your off. As stated this has only happened once and it sure would not stop me from buying another Superglide. It is an amazing hitch for us shortbed owners. Worth every penny!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #17
ghuff

M.O.C. #4899
theiidieidk
Old 02-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #18
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
On a related matter, if you should decide to purchase the PullRite Super Glide, I recommend that you also purchase the "adapter" at the same time. Once you have the king pin modified to fit the Super Glide Hitch, you can no longer hook your coach to a "normal" hitch. It can only be connected to another Super Glide. PullRite manufactures an adapter (cost is approximately $160.00) that attaches to the top plate of the hitch ...which can then be attached to the king pin via the procedure outlined by Montana Sky in the post above ... and your coach can now be pulled by a normal hitch. Very convenient for many dealers and in an emergency situation. For some reason, PullRite does not inform customers about the need for and/or availability of the adapter. In my view, they should sell the adapter as part of the whole hitch package ... but what do I know? Anyway, I carry my adapter in the Monty at all times.

Bill
Old 02-16-2006, 02:46 AM   #19
JohnAprilandMeagan
Established Member

M.O.C. #5303
Thanks to all for the input - sent off for the free video from Pullrite yesterday. Definitely leaning that way.

JohnAprilandMeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #20
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Bill Frisbee,

I bolted my hitch plate to the pinbox. If I need to be towed in an emergency, I can just unscrew it and I'm back to stock. The dealer wanted to weld it on but I elected the bolt-on method.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote