Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #21
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for sharing your personal experience, Sharon. That's always good to hear.

I see it's cold in Minden.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:27 PM   #22
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
yes, it's been cool, but sunny on the mountain. The inversion has kept the valley cold and dreary, but beautiful sunny days for skiing, just a few feet above us.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #23
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I'm quite sure that I downloaded version 1.5 on our PC. I know for sure that I just downloaded 1.5 on my laptop. Sure seems to work good.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:43 AM   #24
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We use Slimbrowser, which is compatible with IE and we like it much better. It is also free.

As for speed, don't forget to clean up the number of programs that open when you start up the computer (check the icons on your taskbar). Some of these programs do not need to be open all the time and can still be opened manually when you need them. It really does slow down your computer.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:58 AM   #25
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for that tip, toolmanroy. Does that include the hidden icons? I'm not sure I know exactly what programs you might be referring to.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:15 AM   #26
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Been using firefox for about 10 months and love it.
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:51 AM   #27
Montana_5043

M.O.C. #5043
I've been using firefox for a few month now and found it performs faster than I.E. in most cases. The few times I expereinced problems I would copy the link into I.E. and discovered in almost all cases it would have the same problems which I took to mean it was a problem with the site and not the browser. For spyware I use freeware versions of Spybot and Noadware which I periodically run to keep junk off my computer but rely on Zonealarm (more freeware) and Norton Antivirus for firewall and virus protection.

Jerry
Montana_5043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:00 AM   #28
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Has anyone downloaded any of the 'extensions' offered for Firefox? Which ones do you especially like?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, I've downloaded and installed four:

1. Googlebar - google search bar.
2. ImageZoom - haven't tried it. Forgot it was there until I looked to reply to your question.
3. Colorful Tabs - really like this one. Each tab is a different color and the text is black except on the active one. Then it's red. Helps me see which tab I'm on.
4. Bandwidth tester - only tried it once. Tests speed of your internet connection.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:33 AM   #30
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for those ideas, Steve. I'll have to look into the colored tabs. They're a nice feature.

I like your 'under construction' sign on your Postcard page.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:42 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Judy, I've downloaded and installed four:

1. Googlebar - google search bar.
2. ImageZoom - haven't tried it. Forgot it was there until I looked to reply to your question.
3. Colorful Tabs - really like this one. Each tab is a different color and the text is black except on the active one. Then it's red. Helps me see which tab I'm on.
4. Bandwidth tester - only tried it once. Tests speed of your internet connection.
Steve, You having been in the business already know this but perhaps others are not aware. A lot of those bandwidth test/ internet speeed test are bogus and will not show a correct speed because they are trying to sell you a products that will "increase your speed" have found www.speakeasy.net to be a good tester also like www.vusualroute.visualware.com as a trouble shooting aid... I run these checks on a weekly basis..( just can't get out of that routine maint mode from my previous life)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:50 AM   #32
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I also have heard this about bandwidth testers. There are some that are accurate, though.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:37 AM   #33
BDana
Established Member

M.O.C. #4729
I am in IT and someone had mentioned SPYBOT program which is a good one because it will alert you that your Browser or files have changed by Spyware. Another excellent program is ADWARE v6 by Lavasoft. You can get it by going to their site http://lavasoft.element5.com/default.shtml.en. Go to the Home download tab and look for the personal version. It is very easy to use.

You have to be care about running some removal programs because they also remove valid files that will cause you software programs. I have been using this program for over 2 years and have had complete success with it. By using SPYBOT and ADWARE v6 personal it will keep your PC clean. Hope this helps.
BDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Richfaa, I don't doubt you are correct on that. I haven't noticed that on this one but it may also be true about it. I ran it just once before my above post and ran it a second time afterwards. Mostly I'm just looking for relative speed when I notice things slowing down. There are so many hops, so many places it can bog down that even an accurate bandwidth test is of limited value. When we had a stick home and were on a cable modem the cable company had a 20 megabyte file that could be downloaded from their site as a speed test. Many people felt this was of no value but I found it most valuable because it gave me an indication of my speed to the isp without a lot of hops through other sites. When that download took over a minute I knew something was wrong. Unfortunately, as business grew they throttled the speed, as well as the normal speed reduction when additional users were added to the headend.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:26 AM   #35
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Another good free browser is OPERA. It is directed more to people with higher computer experience but once you learn how to set it up it works very well.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:01 AM   #36
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
"people with higher computer experience" eliminates me!
Old 01-22-2006, 06:37 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Firefox works well as do other browsers..However..like it or not Microsoft has the software industry by the you know what's and microsoft is not user friendly to other software....job security..Example with most if not all other browsers you still need to have IE installed in order for the browser to work..We just bit the bullet and use IE while Helen used netscape for a long time and had many software conflicts.She finally wiped the hard drive, went back to IE and has not had a single problem since....May the fleas of a thousand camels land on Billy gates head...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #38
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
He'd probably just hire some to pick them off...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #39
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just bought a new laptop and was loading programs onto it about two weeks ago. I was sent the link to download Firefox and now I am hooked. I used to use AOL, but since I now have FF it is my primary browser. My desk top has had many problems using aol and now I got a virus and crashed the entire system. Going to have to take the desktop in and get it fixed. As for Firefox- I love it, the additional tabs and features are great. How come I did not find this sooner?? =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #40
Montana_3956
Established Member

M.O.C. #3956
Sure glad to see this thread. I've used FireFox for a couple yrs and it's Great.
I haven't seen anyone yet here but do NOT take off IE. It has to be there. I made FF my primary Browser and IE just sit's in it's little spot. FF, also, takes away the Pop UP's. There's also a lot of other software out there but I can not remember them at the moment. It's 4:30 AM here. The dog had to go and I'm going back to bed.
Nite all !
Montana_3956 is offline   Reply With Quote