Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Maluka_T

M.O.C. #3550
Landing gear noise

I have a 2002 Montana 2955. I needed to raise the front about 12". As I went up I started noticing a "gear" type noise but everything was still working. I removed dust shields from the ring and pinyon gears and double checked for lube. Both were OK but put more grease on anyway. Still noisy.

It looks like the the electric motor can be removed from the assembly by removing 4 screws and it will slip off.

My question is can I remove the motor and take the cover off the gear reduction transmission without the landing gear spinning down to the fully retracted position?? Or should I do it with the pin on the hitch which will make much harder to work on??

Maluka_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I certainly would not hook up to the TV. I would however block both sides of the front end and lower the unit onto the blocks before performing any work on the jacks or motor.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Good advice.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
X3, but only if you plan on fixing any problem you find yourself. Otherwise, hook it back up because you may not be able to once you've found what's wrong otherwise to get it to a repair place.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You likely have a Venture Manufacturing leg system. They have lots of information available on their website. If you email me at cyoungre@gmail.com (you have to do it yourself as the MOC email function is currently broken (based on the reports of others)), I will send you something like 11 PDFs of information. The legs are pretty simple to remove and repair. Even replacements are not that expensive (from Venture).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I just added the second motor to my landing gear.

Once you have the trailer supported then I would remove the connector bar that is between the 2 landing gear and then one screw and the wires and the transmission and motor will just pull of the shaft.

I wouldn’t try to disassemble the transmission on the trailer I would do it on a work bench or table of some kind.

One thing I found when I added the second motor was the 2 landing gear legs didn’t run at the same speed. It turns out that Keystone purchase a Chinese motor instead of using Venture’s and it runs 30% faster so I purchase a replacement from Venture and they now run the same speed.

It sure makes the unit run much quieter without that connector bar clanging around in the front compartment.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote