Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Water heater anode

This is for the new folks on the forum. Some may not know how or be aware of the need for water heater maintenance. I do this about every 6 months. I am going to outline a step-by-step protocol I use. Others may do it differently and that is fine.
  • 1. Turn off the electric switch outside in the water heater box.
  • 2. Run the hot water until it is cool enough to the touch.
  • 3. Then, if your unit has it, turn on the "water heater bypass".
  • 4. With a 1-1/6" socket, ease out the anode and let the water drain out.
  • 5. While the water is running out, brush the "barnacles" off the anode with a wire brush. If you are near a grinding wheel with a wire brush on it, that's better and quicker. If the anode is 2/3 used up, I replace it.
  • 6. I use a water heater clean-out wand you can find at the RV store. It fits on the end of a water hose and has an on/off lever. This is for spraying and flushing the inside of the water heater.
  • 7. When you have finished flushing, wrap the anode threads with Teflon tape and thread it in and tighten.
  • 8. Turn the water heater bypass valve off to fill the water heater.
  • 9. Run the hot water in the kitchen sink until the air is out of the line and water begins to flow.
  • 10. Now it is safe to turn the electrical switch back on. With the tank full, you won't fry your heater coil.
  • 11. Close the outside heater door, clean up and you are done.
Note: you don't have to turn the water off if you have a bypass valve.

My reason for the step-by-step listing is that sequence is important, not that I think anyone is an idiot. Happy RVing...............

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Thanks for the reminder Stiles.

Actually, I always drain my water heater after we come back from a camping trip when I know we wont be going out for a while.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Stiles. Nice job with the outline and a Great Reminder for all of us "Old Hands" too. This does need checking every few months and flushing the tank out also really helps.

Thanks!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
X2 Stiles! I replace my water filter every 6 months and change it out at the same time I flush the hot water heater. A little TLC can save unnecessary issues down the road.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks for the reminder. Now that we are full timing there are some things like this that I'm going to have to put on a timing list since we don't "bring it back" any longer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Tks Stiles....and anodes are inexpensive too!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Great information, thanks Stiles.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Great advice. Remember not to use too much teflon tape, because you need metal to metal contact with the threads, which cut through the tape when racheted in.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I pretty much follow the same procedure, but where I live I don't winterize and don't ever use the bypass (I don't even know where it is because I haven't looked for it.

But after emptying the tank, I do not refill it until I get to our next campground and hook up the water. Then after I know the tank is full (leave a hot water faucet on until the air is bled out and spits out water). Then I turn on the electric switch at the WH and turn on the switch in the coach for the propane, too.

If I leave water in my WH, I run the risk of "stinky water (caused by too much hydrogen sulfide present in some water supplies)". While this is harmless, it stinks bad and don't like dealing with it (I've had the problem twice). Since leaving the water drained over the past several years I have not run into this problem. In case you're wondering, I do use a filtration system for the city supply AND filling the fresh water tank but I have since learned that filters do not necessarily filter out whatever causes hydrogen sulfide.

GREAT REMINDER, Stiles!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am sure the protocol will be different for those who don't full time, rather they store the unit for some extended time. Draining the heater for storage would be called for. My protocol is designed for full or long timers who pretty much have water in use 24/7/365.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote