Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2007, 05:48 AM   #21
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We are considering this system so I'm glad to hear there is no problem running the washer. I didn't think so as so little water is used in the Splendide. Padre's question, however, requires some thought. Although we so far have never used a CG for any length of time that did not have sewer, the occassion might arise. Couldn't you hold the connection in if there is not a screw in. Or do you need to carry a 4" hose just in case. We carry a Y attachment so we can have multiple hookups from the CG supply. Can the Sewer Solution water hose be used to hookup the black tank flush?
Happy trails........................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:22 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I decided the easiest way to get my questions answered is to go direct. I just sent an email to Sewer Solutions with the following questions. I'll report back their reply when I receive it. On the SS site is a FAQ but it doesn't answer these questions. It does mention it's ok to use standard black tank chemicals but harsh chemicals could damage the pump. That's the basis of one of the following questions. Also, their discharge hose is 3/4 inch. I assume that's inside diameter.

1. Can the sewer solution handle the volume of discharge from a clothes washer? We would use the Sewer Solution for all dumping activity and it would need to handle this volume. Our washer discharges directly into the dump pipe, not into any of the holding tanks.

2. is there any reason I could not use a standard 3/4 inch garden hose on the discharge size? I realize you'd like to sell your hoses (extensions) but hope you will answer this question for me.

3. If I were to use pvc pipe for extension, I would not want to carry a 10' section. I'd prefer to use shorter sections, maybe 7 or 8 ft, and use a friction coupler (push in type). Would this work or would water pressure force the pipe out of the coupler or possibly leak? Maybe a threaded connection would be better?

4. There may be occasions we'd need to use a tissue digester chemical in the black tank. Would this be one of the chemicals that could damage the SS? I'm wondering if I'd need to keep on hand a standard sewer hose for these situations.

5. We sometimes are in freezing weather. With the SS installed fulltime, I would take care to lift the hose to free it of water during freezing weather. Is the pump itself likely to contain water and thus be subject to damage from freezing? In other words, would I need to remove it immediately after use?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #23
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Just a comment on an earlier post about back flushing the black water tank with your freshwater hose. Never, never do this. Get a black garden hose to flush your black tank.
Use a white hose for your potable water. There probably is a check valve in the black water flush system, but you never know how well it is working and it might be possible for raw sewage to get into the supply hose. Use a black one and treat it like a sewer hose and you can't go wrong.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
For flushing I use the same white hose I use for washing the rig but have black electrical tape around the hose near each connector to identify it so I do not inadvertently use it for drinking water. That's a very good point, Don.

As for the Sewer Solution, this is Sunday and I already got a reply to the questions I emailed about an hour ago. Here they are...
----
1. Can the sewer solution handle the volume of discharge from a clothes washer? We would use the Sewer Solution for all dumping activity and it would need to handle this volume. Our washer discharges directly into the dump pipe, not into any of the holding tanks.

No problem. Any backup just goes to your grey tank until the hose catches up.

2. is there any reason I could not use a standard 3/4 inch garden hose on the discharge size? I realize you'd like to sell your hoses (extensions) but hope you will answer this question for me.

We do not recommend use of garden hose. The SewerSolution requires at least a 3/4" circular inside diameter. Commercial grade hose does have a 3/4" ID but it is not stable and uniformly circular and the connection fittings are less than 3/4". Also, you would not want get them mixed up for obvious reasons. You can do it, but at your own risk.

3. If I were to use pvc pipe for extension, I would not want to carry a 10' section. I'd prefer to use shorter sections, maybe 7 or 8 ft, and use a friction coupler (push in type). Would this work or would water pressure force the pipe out of the coupler or possibly leak? Maybe a threaded connection would be better?

Normally the friction fit is OK. Since the outlet of the hose is open there is not much pressure in the discharge hose.

4. There may be occasions we'd need to use a tissue digester chemical in the black tank. Would this be one of the chemicals that could damage the SS? I'm wondering if I'd need to keep on hand a standard sewer hose for these situations.

We cannot comment on tank treatment chemicals in general as there are many brands with many ingredients, The SewerSolution is made of polycarbonate and like most plastics it can be damaged by some chemicals. We suggest use of a microbe based treatment. The SewerSolution will shred toilet tissue so a tissue digester chemical is not normally required.

5. We sometimes are in freezing weather. With the SS installed fulltime, I would take care to lift the hose to free it of water during freezing weather. Is the pump itself likely to contain water and thus be subject to damage from freezing? In other words, would I need to remove it immediately after use?

If there is any water in the pump a freeze will void the warranty and may cause damage. This includes the passages leading to the water jet.

-----

I'd need to make sure the gray tank valve is open when we use the washer with SS attached to the dump pipe since our washer drains directly to the dump pipe, not to a tank.

For extension I'd probably use pvc in maybe 7' lengths with couplings when more than one is needed. While friction couplings would work I'd probably cement on threaded couplings.

I'd probably keep a sewer hose and connecters around just in case I need to use tissue digester or have another need for it.

In freezing weather I'd remove the SS and store it in the basement, bringing it out only to dump.

Now I have to make a decision whether it is worth the money to me. I'm leaning towards yes. I'd still like to hear from someone who uses the SS with a washing machine.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve..Thanks for doing excellent research and quick reporting on SS system. I too am a bit leery about the washing machine draining as we have the same camper as you but it should back up into what ever gray tank you have open,if needed. I like the idea of the system for extended stays. Don't think I would spend the $ if a weekend camper.Also after attending many seminars on Waste treatment I am convinced that chemicals do little for your waste system(including gray tanks) and that a microbe based treatment is the way to go.Just like the septic system in a stick house..howver the treatment must be designed for RV's.We now use a bacterial agent designed for RV waste systems in ALL our tanks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, the chemical I was thinking of was Tissue Digester. We had to use that over a year ago when we had the dreaded pyramid built up in the tank and we couldn't even flush the toilet. Tissue Digester was the only thing that worked (in conjunction with high pressure water spray). Tissue Digester is enzyme based so it might not be a problem for the SS.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #27
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve,
I think MikeM on the second page stated he has the SS system and a washer and has no problem. If you think about it the washer is pumping the water out so it doesn't all come out at the same time. Ours uses so little water I don't think it would be a problem but then ours goes into the gray tank.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #28
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Steve,
I think MikeM on the second page stated he has the SS system and a washer and has no problem. If you think about it the washer is pumping the water out so it doesn't all come out at the same time. Ours uses so little water I don't think it would be a problem but then ours goes into the gray tank.
Happy trails...................
Yes, we use a Splendide with our Sewer Saver and have had no problems. As I mentioned previously, we do leave our bath grey tank valve open all of the time so if it backs up, it probably goes there temporarily.
I put Y adapter in a second line from the park water supply to handle the black tank flush and water supply for the Sewer Saver (the Saver comes with a backflow preventer) and typically run both at the same time when flushing the black tank.

Steve R. - I was tempted to get rid of the 3" slinky but decided to keep it just in case. As far as the hose supplied with the Saver, once you actually see the quality, I doubt if you will want to substitute something cheaper. I think it will actually pump 30' across level ground without a problem - I'm currently using 20'
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:56 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Enzymes won't do any harm and enzymes are often included in good bacterial treatments. Bacterial agents work much faster.The light bulb just went on I guess. There is not much difference in the home septic system and the camper waste system, except the camper tanks are "holding tanks'
and the septic system has a long time to work but it works on the Bacterial agent principle.Why do we not use the same principle in our RV system?????? Went to a couple of seminars on the subject them googled Septic systems and it all made sense. take a look at www.opproducts.com
I am not pushing that product but it a place to start... Rid-X designed for home septic systems will work but it is slow acting.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #30
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Steve, thanks for sharing your research. My slinkys are getting old so I think I will try out this system and keep the old slinkys as a back up. This website is a great resource.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:46 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for all the great info. I'm glad to hear a washer is not a problem. I think I'd want to have the gray tank open to handle any backup, also. I'm thinking very seriously of going this route and, like the others who replied, I'll probably keep enough slinky to handle the situation, just in case. With the sewer hose storage area on the 3400 and an identical storage area I added on the other side of the rig I have plenty of room to do that.

For those with the rear compartment for the sewer hose storage, the same location on the other side is identical, or at least it is on our 3400RL. It just doesn't have the door. The door is actually the one that used to be used for the outside shower (that's what you ask for). It's an easy install if you're not queasy about cutting a hole in the aluminum siding of the rig.