Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
emurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #6507
Porpane Guages

Does any know of any guages that will indicate the amount of propane in the tank?

emurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Not trying to be smart, but I have been told that the pressure guages are not reliable. Best to weigh the tank.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
As an afterthought, I have the stick on level indicators that I have still to see an indication on and about the only indication I have seen visabilly was when I was using a tank to burn weeds this winter and the tank had a frost layer about where I suppose the liquid level was.

Best as I can say with my limited knowledge is, when the fire goes out it is probably a good indicator that the tank is due to be refilled. BIG SMILE!!!
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Typically the only reliable gauge for LP is one that reads the liquid level in the tank like the big motorcoaches have. Pressure is not a reliable indicator as it varies dramatically with the ambient temperature. There are some stick on indicators that provide a visual indiation of the liquid level, or there is the old reliable pouring of hot water on the tank and look for the frost line.

The regulator pressure indicator is effective on the Montana, as it reads from the regulated side which is a constant controlled by the regulator itself. Regulated pressure is stable until it simply runs out. Upstream of the regulator, pressures from the cylinder vary dramatically.

As Illapah says - for the small cylinders - hefting or weighing is the industry standard.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Pour hot water (about a Cup) on the tank. You can tell the liquid level by feeling the tank (liquid will be cold).
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
emurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #6507
Thanks for the responses,
You've all confirmed what I already knew. I was hoping that there was something new and revolutionary in the world of propane.......
emurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Marshall brass makes a remote indicator that goes on the top of your changeover regulator. It will alert you when one of your tanks is empty. See it at

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/l...over-valve.htm
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Charlie is right Emurray. I installed one of those as well on my last rig. It flashes whenever your LP switchover indicator goes into the red.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:08 AM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I used to sell the stuff and the way we did it was via weighing the tank. That is still the only reliable method to know incremental changes aside for the half empty/full technique that the indicator will provide you (one tank empty other has just started to be used when indicator changes and auto-switchover engages). Regarding the previous "weight" method, there are DOT required stamps TW and WC; TW = Tare Weight and is the empty weight of the tank. WC = Water Capacity (funny term but since propane is held in liquid state) is used to show Maximum liquid capacity 80%, as the tank must have a vapor head to allow thermal changes to occur w/o over pressurizing the vessel. The new OPD valves have added additional DOT required safety feature to prevent over-filling via a float that shuts off inlet so you won't see many use the weight method when filling...I still like to see them use it as you can predict when it is getting close! Maybe Keystone could pioneer a simple weight device in coach? Hahaha....sorry lost my head there!
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:08 AM   #10
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I bought a brass gauge for the home BBQ that goes between the OPD valve and your unit. I've tried it on 2 BBQs and a propane heater on top of a tank. It will not allow the gas to go through it for some reason. The heater will not even light. It's either a bad one or they are just not functional. It's similar to this http://www.atrendyhome.com/propanegauge.html
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:15 AM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
VanMan, did the gauge move when connected to the tank? Sounds like the spring actuator in one of the ends is not being depressed allowing propane flow...question is which side and sounds like its NG. It is a pressure device so not likely going to be very useful as this method is measuring the boiling level of LP. I bet it shows green for long time then suddenly drops to red, not much better than using the existing Monty indicator.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 AM   #12
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
I have, but don't use, one of the magnetic "strips" for propane level checking.

Best solution for us, so far, is to have a good idea about how long a tank lasts under different conditions, then check the green/red "changeover" indicator daily or so as that time approaches. No hurry if the furnace isn't operating...one tank lasts weeks or months if just used for cooking, a couple of weeks if also used daily for the water heater, and about a week if used for the furnace as well. (Air temps near of above freezing) I would look every 3-4 of days if below-freezing temps are encountered. You don't have to make a special trip outside to check it...just look when doing other routine "stuff" in the AM or evening..A day or so won't make any big difference if the automatic changeover works as it should.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:05 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have been using that remote indicator for several years and swear by it. I've moved it from Montana to Montana. However, it only tells you when the tank is empty. It does not tell you how much is in it prior to that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
yvonnenid
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4853
Steve,
Yes, We have a remote indicator too. Sure, it does not tell you how much propane is in the tank, but it does start blinking as soon as the first tank is empty. As soon as it blinks, we take the empty tank to be filled. I think it is a great system. I think we first learned about it from one of your posts on the forum. This forum is the best!!!!!
yvonnenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #15
yvonnenid
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4853
Steve,
Yes, We have a remote indicator too. Sure, it does not tell you how much propane is in the tank, but it does start blinking as soon as the first tank is empty. As soon as it blinks, we take the empty tank to be filled. I think it is a great system. I think we first learned about it from one of your posts on the forum. This forum is the best!!!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #16
yvonnenid
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4853
Steve,