Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
I Bought the wrong one... Washer/Dryer

I learned a valuable lesson... TRUST NO ONE !!!!!!

At first I wanted a 220V dryer. Checked with the dealer to see if they could wire up the trailer for me... No Go. If the trailer is wired for a 220 system then my warranty is void.

So we decided to not try and mess with it and just get a 110 V Kenmore Stack-able.
My wife went to Sears to order the washer/dryer. I get on the phone with the Sears salesman and tell him what we needed. My wife writes a check for it and it will be delivered to our apartment the very next Saturday.
The next Saturday morning comes and the Sears delivery truck shows up as promised. The two delivery guys are happy knowing that they don't have to carry it up the stairs. They back up their truck to mine and offload it to my truck bed. Me and the wife get in the truck and head to the dealer to drop off the washer/dryer for the dealer to install for us. We never took the washer/dryer out of the box. We just dropped it off in their PDI garage. The next Wednesday was OUR day. We took delivery of our camper. It was indeed a wonderful day for us, a dream come true. We went through our PDI and took the coach home that night. We didn't check the washer or dryer during the PDI. We just took note that they were installed and everything looked fine.
After a day or two went by it was time to do some laundry. Put in a load to wash... no problem. Put that load in the dryer to dry.. but no heat. hmmm...? no heat is the dryer messed up or what? After looking at the owners manual we saw that the unit that was installed was a 220V unit. The guy at Sears sold me the wrong one. And to make matters worse... the guys at Foley RV installed the 220 dryer and put a 110 wire on it and let me go.
I would have thought that maybe they would call me and say... "Mr. Gill , You purchased the wrong the unit. You bought a 220V and you need a 110V in order for it to work properly.
That didn't happen
After speaking with the GM ,he authorized his mobile unit to come out and re-install the proper washer dryer at his cost. During the procedure however, the door trim got BEAT up and scratched. I have some before and after pictures.. LUCKILY !!! After another phone call to the GM, he will order some new trim pieces for me., THAT I WILL INSTALL MYSELF !!!!

I will file this experience in my chapter of "Lessons Learned".
I made two mistakes... I trusted the sales guy at Sears to do his job. and I trusted the dealership to do their job.
The dealer has righted their wrong.... and the salesman at Sears has apologized.

My disclaimer : This thread is by no means meant to bash the employees at Foley RV and their competence level. It is only meant to serve as a warning if you buy a washer and dryer and have ANY dealership install it make sure its the correct one.

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Glad to see they are making it right with you. Gives me more reasons to DIY. I normally watch people repair anything I don't have the tools to do myself. And question anything I feel is not normal.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:18 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Blue,

Sorry to hear about your issue. Two things amaze me, 1) it got from point A to B and nobody noticed or said anything, and 2) They actually figured out what was wrong. That would be a hard one to track down, as I'm sure the install looked normal.

The install guy must have had to look twice at that extra terminal on the dryer connection that he just ignored. He was probably just happy to see the unit come on and sent it out the door.

Sears deals in catalog numbers - beyond that they are lost. The Dealer has it's specialties, but household appliance installs is not one of them. I guess I can see how everything slipped through the cracks. I'm not even sure you could have caught it unless you were in thier face all the way through. This stuff happens and I'm just glad to hear they stood behind the work for you, even the damage, and are getting you back on the road!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:32 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I'm still trying to figure out why they told you a 220 dryer voids the warranty.
Sorry you had so much trouble, you just have to assume people are doing things correctly, sadly we, as consumers are disappointed on a regular basis.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
Blue, while reading your thread I was wondering if it had a happy ending- so glad it did!!!!! And I appreciate your posts as I'm kinda following in your footsteps so to speak.
Ozz- I've not looked into it yet but I assume from your post that a 220 dryer does not void warranties or causes any unforseen problems? When I am able to actually use my new 3400 I want to put in the same unit you have (stack-ables don't seem to meet my needs).
Thanks and happy turkey day!
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
As far as the warranty goes..? Well, I called KEYSTONE and talked with them. The dealer here gave me their number so I could try and argue my case with them. Keystone wouldnt budge and said if I wired my trailer for 220 and had any electrical problems in the future, then my warranty would be void. I figured with a brand new unit I better not risk it. I still havent had the time to check all of the equipment...Microwave, CD player...fireplace...ect. They got ya by the "short-n-curlies" on this one. At least me.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Sorry to hear about the trouble they caused in getting correct dryer installed.
We have the Kenmore stackable. We like them very much. Don did rewire the unit so I can wash and dry at same time. They came with a switch that would only allow one thing at a time. It involved putting two cords on the units instead of the one cord they shared. He also added an extra circuit and extra outlet in basement. Dryer and washer are on two separate circuits. A little more work to this than I mentioned here.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote