Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2006, 06:17 AM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Hitch

Ordered the 3400, ordered the D/A 3500 drw cc lb...now for a hitch. Obviously, don't need a slider and understand that the hitch needs to tilt/pivot laterally as well as fore and aft or be fully articulating. I do want to be able to remove it. Are the Montanas heavy enough so that I do not need an air system somewhere in the hitch system (hitch or pin)? What's the consensus (if there is one) on hitches? As always, thanks for the insight and information.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:44 AM   #2
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Congrats on the 5th and truck!!!

This spring we made the big dive ourselves. 342PHT Mountianeer and F350 Crew. We went short bed, so a slider was a must. I only wish I had found MOC prior to the purchase so that I could have had the advantage of the collective wisdom and expierence on this site. Prior to the Mountianeer, we had always owned TT. Being new a 5th wheel, I researched hitches and decided upon a sliding air ride. Cost was in the $3K range, ouch. The dealer talked us out of this in favor of the 16K Husky slider. The hitch works great, but we do get a bit more jerking and bounce from the 5th than I really like. Like 99% of RVer's, Safety is #1 for us. Cost is not a factor when it comes to safety. I have never owned an air ride hitch or air pin, but do wish after investing in the Truck and 5th, that I followed my gut and spent the extra $1500 on the air ride. Not that the standard 5th hitch is bad, it works great, I would just like to smooth the ride a bit more.

Now that we have the standard hitch, I will stick with it, as it really does the job well. However, if I were to do it again, I would go Air Ride (and in my case add the auto sliding feature).

Good luck,

Tim

Don't Forget, use the PDI Check list, pre-delivery. It is amazing how many issues you will find after the dealer thinks your 5th is ready to go home. It took the dealer 3 weeks to get our's ready, after we did the PDI on the day the dealer thought it was going home. They tend to work much faster on the punch list before they get the big check. Again, Kudos to MOC!!!
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Mor-Ryde or Trail-Air hitch pin will smooth the ride out considerably for around 700/800 or less. I think that one or the other will work with a slider?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Have this hitch like it alot. I went with the underbed mount. Did it myself in about 4 hours.
Hitch
http://www.reese-hitches.com/16k_sign_5th_wheel.htm
Rails
http://www.reese-hitches.com/5th_whe..._rail_kits.htm

If I had the money and where Fulltiming this is what I'd have
Hitch
http://www.trailersaver.com/airsuspe...hes_tslb2h.php

Keep us posted. See-Ya
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have the Trailer Saver hitch and wouldn't be without it. It's costly but well worth every penny. If you're just traveling for weekend camping I wouldn't invest any more than I had to. But if you are full timing, consider spending the money for a hitch that will relieve the pounding you get from a solid hitch. One drawback: you can't remove the hitch as readily as you can a Reese or Drawtite.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The air in one or the other will smooth out the ride and might save some wear and tear. We've never had the air and probably won't. Ours doesn't ride badly as it is and we mostly avoid interstates, which is the biggest source of ride problems anyhow. So in my opinion air is nice to have but not a requirement by any stretch of the imagination.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I like the "dual pivot" action that my Superglide offers. Really seems to keep things riding smoothly along the roads, but as Steve said, "air is nice to have but not a requirement..."
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
labouttejr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5936
I have been on the forum for a little while and have many things about the 5vr, hitch and truck. I have went a different route then most. I have a 3400 which I pull with a Chevy 2500 HD crew cab durmax diesel with the 3.73 rear end short bed. The hitch is a Kintec 22k (they only come 22k) with the Kintec TCS braking system.
I am VERY HAPPY with my choice. The truck has more then enough power to pull the 5vr up step grades (ie. Indepence Pass in Colorado) it is stable the 5vr does not wiegh it down or anything.
The Kintec brake is Great, it is a digtal brake that has wired sensors in the hitch itself, it knows at all time the wieght of the trailer, when braking how much persure the trailer is putting on the truck, and it automicaly adjust, weither your braking hard or soft, a smooth stop every time.
The hitch is good. The head can be taken off the body which make it light to remove to parts from the bed of the truck for one person instead of one heavy big peace. I did get it with the slider, I have not yet had to use it, the long pin box on the trailer is enough.
An air ride would be nice, maybe down the road an air ride pin box.
labouttejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:07 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Leon, what's the cost of that system? This replaces the brake controller in the cab?

*On Edit~ I found this article ("Print" mode to get this report all one one page for reading). Interesting... Thanks, Leon.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:34 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
See the sig line, this combo works real well for us, in our comfort zone, as they say. Hitch plus air pin, we are comfy. Note: there are some roads that the air pin cannot totally soften or smooth out, I 20 around Shreveport, I 10 in Mississippi and Louisiana, I 94 around Battle Creek Michigan. And others that are notorious!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:33 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not sure if it's just my imagination or what but since I added the Firestone Air Bags to my TV I seem to be experiencing a much smoother ride. I also noticed the trailer takes the bumps and tar strips a bit better. One RV mechanic felt the air bags had pretty much the same effect as the air ride hitches for a lot less money and they are adjustable. When you think about it, it does make sense. Definitely something worth looking into.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:42 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glenn, that is a very interesting observation, first I have read or heard about it, Al probably has, but not ole Carol. He reads the towing sections more frequently than I do.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:44 AM   #13
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
http://www.hijacker.com/

These are terrific hitches. I have had mine for the last 10 years and I have installed it myself on my last 3 trucks. I just have the standard model and it is all I want. I can buy the side to side pivot head if I ever want to , so far I am happy with the standard head.

The big advantage with the Hi Jacker style is the big heavy bar that slides behind the pin lets you see the pin is captured and locked. Some of the styles that tell you to do a test pull to make sure you are properly hitched are just an accident waiting to happen and they have forced people to buy a bedsaver bracket that catches your Fiver if your test pull proves the pin is not locked into the hitch. I would not own such a hitch.

One last point, some will claim the heavy slide bar on the pin will wear the pin or the bar.
The Hi Jackers have a semi circular collar that is adjustable to keep the fit correct.
In 10 years of use , my hitch shows no wear on that bar, my Fiver pins showed no wear and I have never had to re-adjust that collar.
These Hitches are made in Canada, sell for very reasonable, and are far superior to many higher prived hitches out there. Check them out.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #14
billy475d

M.O.C. #5946
Hi folks, Iam new here.We just ordered a 3400 and I have a F250 super duty diesel.I have the extended cab short bed.I am wondering with a extended pin and the new 2007 nose cone will I need a slider?
billy475d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
billy475d,
First and foremost, Welcome to the MOC!! The new 3400RL's do not come with an extended kingpin anymore. There are many folks on here w/ shortbeds, and many have sliders (including myself) that have needed them more than once. We also have members who have them and have never needed it yet. My opinion is, if you have a shortbed buy the sliding hitch. It is cheaper than replacing the back window of the truck and the front cap on the coach. Congrats on your new coach, and again Welcome!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote